• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Father and Daughter, Mistaken for Deer, Are Fatally Shot, Officials Say

Reptile

NES Member
The man and his 9-year-old daughter were shot while hunting on New Year’s Day in South Carolina.
A South Carolina man and his daughter were killed after they were mistaken for deer and were shot during a New Year’s Day hunt, the authorities said.
The victims were among four hunters who “were attempting to move deer, also known as driving deer, near Barracada Road in Walterboro when two hunters were shot after being mistaken for a deer,” according to a statement released by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. It was not clear whether they were wearing brightly colored safety gear.
David Lucas, a department spokesman, said the details of the shooting would not be released until the investigation was complete. The department did not release the names of any of the hunters.
Richard M. Harvey, the Colleton County coroner, said the victims were Kim Drawdy, 30, and Mr. Drawdy’s daughter Lauren, 9.

Mr. Harvey said the father and daughter were shot with a shotgun. Their autopsies will be performed on Sunday.
“They were deer hunting, so they were using what we would call buckshot,” he said.

Absolutely untenable. Must have had no orange on at all. Not sure of SC rules and regs but @teaser452 may know. So sad.

Posted here Thursday:

Never been a fan of deer drives. Especially in thick cover like we have out here. Out west no so much.

This is why I hunt alone...nobody to shoot at except for deer and strangers.

Seriously though...who in their right mind takes a shot at something they haven't positively ID'd as their target.

What do you wanna bet that there were some 'high profile' people involved that they're not releasing the name of the shooter/other hunters? I realize it's still under investigation, but just seems like this is a pretty clear cut case of complete and total negligence (manslaughter), or murder...and both should be enough to justify immediate arrests.

Unfortunately one 9 pellet buckshot shell could take out two, especially if you just told your daughter to stay close.
I don't hunt drives if anyone is using buckshot,,,slugs only after possitively ID'ing your target (orange or not).

This is why I hunt alone...nobody to shoot at except for deer and strangers.

Seriously though...who in their right mind takes a shot at something they haven't positively ID'd as their target.

What do you wanna bet that there were some 'high profile' people involved that they're not releasing the name of the shooter/other hunters? I realize it's still under investigation, but just seems like this is a pretty clear cut case of complete and total negligence (manslaughter), or murder...and both should be enough to justify immediate arrests.
you have not experienced the bozos who put brown down by mass dispersal.
Driving deer can be dangerous as hell , it is bad enough that a stray shot can hit someone out of target zone but to get 2 people there was multiple point and shoot shooters.
Sad,

The shooter was using a shotgun with buckshot, if the victims were next to each other could've been one shot. 12 gage 00 buck load is 9 pellets.
I use 12 gauge buckshot as a home defense round. Modified choke in my 870 and effective to 30 yards or so. The scumbags that shot those folks couldn't clearly see their targets 30 yards away? I wonder how much drinking was involved?

I'm not a hunter but am having a difficult time understanding how one mistakes two people for a deer. Especially when we are talking about the distances one would be at when using buckshot from a shotgun. It can't be that far. So is the killer just totally incompetent and reckless and just shoots at any sound? Do they have actual vision issues?

I don't understand what it takes to make this mistake.

I’ve never remotely thought a person in the woods looked anything like a deer. I don’t get it.

One time I passed on a deer because the view that I had was telling me that it was a guy in a brown jacket who was taking a dump and had a wad of white toilet paper in his hand. Saw no head. Jack.

LOL. Passed a shot at a pheasant once when I swept some surveyors tape. All I saw was a flash of orange and said “oh fudge”! an got the gun away from the “guy”. Oh well.

One time I passed on a deer because the view that I had was telling me that it was a guy in a brown jacket who was taking a dump and had a wad of white toilet paper in his hand. Saw no head. Jack.

I was bow hunting in Colorado once and there was a deer standing there. I went to draw, but didn't. My brother kept yelling at me to shoot and I said "I can't, I'm looking into someones garage." Eventually the deer bounded off and he started bitching and telling me I was full of shit, I was afraid to shoot, I had buck fever. Then he walked over to me and said. "Hey you're looking into someones garage". I was like "no shit".

Oh and if you are hunting ANYTHING, There is a kill spot you aim at. So there is never an excuse that you "thought" a human or anything else that isn't a deer "looked like a deer".

If you cant f***ing see it you dont know what it is. Shotgun, coudnt have been too far away either.

If you cant f***ing see it you dont know what it is. Shotgun, coudnt have been too far away either.

And it's not some random dude out by himself shooting someone he didn't know. It's a deer drive. He knew there were people walking towards him.

Back
Top Bottom