• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fastest Gun Disarm

I saw a guy on Conan talking about this last week. He did basically the same thing. They both hit the attackers forearm first and then took wrenched the gun away.

I'd like to see this done with training ammo or paintball gun and see how often he succeeds with a less cooperative opponent.

I have practiced some of the techniques. I prefer to do them for a "hands up" position. Then initiate the disarm when your hands are at shoulder level.

Watching your opponents muscle and hands you can tell if they are gripping hard. If they are you would use a different disarm but you would have a huge advantage as they will be very slow. Works well on a knife disarm as well. People that are fast with a knife don't hold it really tight.

Watching your opponents muscle and hands you can tell if they are gripping hard. If they are you would use a different disarm but you would have a huge advantage as they will be very slow. Works well on a knife disarm as well. People that are fast with a knife don't hold it really tight.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree:

1. Looking at someone's hand/arm muscles will give you little useful information, you really can not tell how hard someone is gripping, and even if you could, it won't tell you how easy or difficult a disarm may be as there are a other factors that come into play, as in 2.

2. The idea that people who are fast with a knife don't grip really tightly is inaccurate at best. Perhaps SOME people who are fast also don't grip really tightly, however after 35 years of training, sparring, and professional teaching of edged weapon offense/defense, I can tell you that anyone with significant experience grips their weapon plenty tight. Even those without formal training who are determined and experienced in the street (Criminals) tend to grip quite tightly and their attacks can be quite fast - one need look no further than youtube for examples.

Physiologically there is no reason why a very tight grip need inhibit the speed of one's weapon arm as the muscles which control the movement of the arm (articulation at the shoulder and elbow) are separate from those in the forearm and hand which determine grip. Granted, some people tense everything from hand through the back and chest when gripping hard, but trying to determine how much of that is going on and how likely your chances of getting a disarm are based on that........well, not something you want to risk your life on.

1. Looking at someone's hand/arm muscles will give you little useful information, you really can not tell how hard someone is gripping, and even if you could, it won't tell you how easy or difficult a disarm may be as there are a other factors that come into play, as in 2.

2. The idea that people who are fast with a knife don't grip really tightly is inaccurate at best. Perhaps SOME people who are fast also don't grip really tightly, however after 35 years of training, sparring, and professional teaching of edged weapon offense/defense, I can tell you that anyone with significant experience grips their weapon plenty tight. Even those without formal training who are determined and experienced in the street (Criminals) tend to grip quite tightly and their attacks can be quite fast - one need look no further than youtube for examples.

Physiologically there is no reason why a very tight grip need inhibit the speed of one's weapon arm as the muscles which control the movement of the arm (articulation at the shoulder and elbow) are separate from those in the forearm and hand which determine grip. Granted, some people tense everything from hand through the back and chest when gripping hard, but trying to determine how much of that is going on and how likely your chances of getting a disarm are based on that........well, not something you want to risk your life on.

truth.

I'd like to see this done with training ammo or paintball gun and see how often he succeeds with a less cooperative opponent.

Yeah, or someone who's really under stress rather than this guy with the dopey smile on his face. The angle with which he moves the gun makes me think he's in danger of accidentally making the guy pull the trigger.

Plus, wtf is the point of taking the mag out of the gun?

Did you hear of the martial arts guy who was actually held up and disarmed the BG then handed the gun right back because he had done it 1000 times in training?

I agree that a "trained" person can be very fast with a tight grip (like a boxers punch) however I have often found student to be much faster when using the "Sidewalk Chalk" drill as apposed to cutting drills because less energy was necessary I found they were gripping lightly and much more fluid. If you where executing the drill in the video, would you do it from ready position or from hands up position?

Found it:

http://jimwagnertraining.com/article1atoz.html
A uniformed Canadian police constable was on patrol, and he was an avid martial artist. A criminal came up to him and pointed a live pistol in the constable’s face. Before the suspect could pull the trigger the officer flawlessly did a gun disarm and safely pulled the weapon from the suspect’s hand. Tragically, however, without even thinking, the constable handed the loaded pistol back to the suspect a few moments later. Without a word being uttered, the suspect gladly took the weapon back. When the constable realized what he had done, obviously the wrong thing to do, he immediately tried again to retake the weapon. Not as fortunate the second time around, the suspect pulled the trigger and sent a bullet smashing into the constable’s shoulder. Fortunately, the constable had the Will to Survive and kept fighting, despite his injury, and he managed to once again pry the pistol from the suspect’s hand and follow up with an arrest.

I wonder how effective that move with be if the handgun being used was, say, a snubnosed revolver--something without the barrel length of a 92FS.

It also looks to me as if he muzzle sweeps himself with the gun as he is taking possession of it. If the assailants finger caught or clenched, depending on the trigger pull weight, it seems to me that that motion could easily lead to an "accidental" discharge.

Certainly not something you want to try unless you really know what you're doing.

this guy is pretty cool has a amazing background story and is a good Christian Has a great Facebook feed and a movie

Back
Top Bottom