• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Farmington Police Department - Cops responding to wrong address shoot homeowner dead at his door

commodon

NES Member

Cops responding to wrong address shoot homeowner dead at his door​

Police officers fatally shot a man at his front door after responding to the wrong address.

Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe (left) said cops fatally shooting a man after responding to the wrong home was ‘unbelievably tragic’ (Pictures: KOAT/Facebook)
Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe (left) said cops fatally shooting a man after responding to the wrong home was ‘unbelievably tragic’ (Pictures: KOAT/Facebook)© Provided by Metro

Robert Dotson, 52, was gunned down around 11.30pm on Wednesday by cops who received a call for domestic violence.

Farmington Police Department officers ‘mistakenly approached’ 5305 Valley View Avenue instead of 5308 Valley View Avenue, which is across the street, New Mexico State Police stated on Thursday.

Cops knocked on the front door of 5305 Valley View Avenue to no answer, so they told their dispatch to contact the 911 caller and have them go to the front door.

Police responded to a home that was across the street from where they go a 911 call from (Picture: KOAT)

Police responded to a home that was across the street from where they go a 911 call from (Picture: KOAT)© Provided by Metro

‘Body camera footage shows as the officers backed away from 5305 Valley View Avenue, the homeowner, Robert Dotson, 52, opened the screen door armed with a handgun,’ stated the state police department.

‘At this point in the encounter, officer(s) fired at least one round from their duty weapon(s) striking Mr Dotson.’

Dotson’s wife, who also had a handgun, then shot from the doorway and exchanged gunfire with the cops.

‘Once she realized that the individuals outside the residence were officers, she put the gun down and complied with the officer’s commands,’ according to state police.

Cops responding to wrong address shoot homeowner dead at his door

Dude.

I mean, I get it: it's hard to see the numbers on some houses. Okay.

But... fer cryin' out loud, coppers, the odd numbers are on one side of the street and the even numbers are on the other! If Dispatch gives you an even-numbered street address, here's a hot tip: don't cross the street.

That was very unfortunate and sad. One thing that could help prevent this is having house numbers right near the door. When you think about this, not a lot of homes have house numbers near their door because they're out on the mailbox. The problem with that is in rural areas, the mailboxes are all on the same side of the street and you have to know which side is odd and which is even.

Dude.

I mean, I get it: it's hard to see the numbers on some houses. Okay.

But... fer cryin' out loud, coppers, the odd numbers are on one side of the street and the even numbers are on the other! If Dispatch gives you an even-numbered street address, here's a hot tip: don't cross the street.
I was typing my response when I saw yours.

When I built my place, the building inspector did not give me my occupancy permit unless I fixed 2 items.
Inadequate handrail in doghouse (basement stairs from outside)
Numbers on front door.
I fixed them that day and he came back out.
Apparently numbers were code.

Not the first time the wrong address is the excuse. How many times do you watch video for 5 minutes of put the gun down. These guys just open up on the dude. In his house. You are the ones knocking on the door at 11:30 at night. You don't think a gun will be in a hand?

Not the first time the wrong address is the excuse. How many times do you watch video for 5 minutes of put the gun down. These guys just open up on the dude. In his house. You are the ones knocking on the door at 11:30 at night. You don't think a gun will be in a hand?
I mean kinda on the home owner too tho

No one breaking into your house is going to knock probably lol put the gun behind your back

That idiot Floyd committed a crime and for lack of a better term was a complete waste of human flesh. When he was killed by cops protests ran across the country like a plague.

This innocent law abiding citizen was shot dead in his doorway by an inept police department and because he was a legal gun owner this is barely a blip in the news.

Very sad.

No doubt an accident for which no criminal charges are appropriate. The cop doing the shooting will probably be back on duty after a paid leave while they get out the broom.

No one breaking into your house is going to knock probably lol put the gun behind your back
You would be wrong, numerous videos out there where people knock on the door to get homeowners to open the door and then they rush in, they pretend they are pizza delivery, police and more. This falls squarely on the police and the police alone

here at the FL house, the house numbers are mounted on a white translucent plastic that is back lit.

It is a HOA requirement

Mine have 2 LED 194 bulbs in the fixture

There is no way you are not going to see it.

This is because we are old farts here and we want EMS to be able to find our house at night

But you never open the door at night, or even during the day, never give up cover or the barrier between you and possible bad guys.

Even if your address is well marked you are still at the mercy of some dumb cop.

Ask the Delta pilot at the Revere Hotel in Boston, there is nothing in this world that is marked more clearly than a hotel room door is there?

Didn't do him a whole lot of good did it

But back to Farmington, the Chief will issue some BS statement saying how sorry they all are

The family will lawyer up and get some pittance of a settlement from the town's insurer for the wrongful death

And thanks to Qualified Immunity, no police officer will be held criminally responsible

If you want to know who is going to get the next promotion, find the name of the shooter.

Last edited:

Not true. Lots of thieves will knock just to see if either anyone is home or if dogs start barking.

This home owner did nothing wrong and 100% of the blame for his death is on the cop/s who shot him.

Back
Top Bottom