Fantastic Rock

There is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy25 in rural Iowa. For generations, kids have painted slogans, names, and obscenities on this rock, changing its character many times. A few months back, the rock received its latest paint job, and since then it has been left completely undisturbed. It's quite an impressive sight. Be sure to scroll down and check out the multiple photos (all angles) of the rock. I thought the flag was draped over the rock, but it's not. It's actually painted on the rock too.

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

rock4.jpg

rock5.jpg

rock6.jpg

rock7.jpg

Here's the artist Ray "Bubba" Sorensen.

rock8.jpg

Wow.. seeing people take the time to do that and the fact that people have the respect not to destroy it makes me damn proud to be American!

In that part of the country, I think that most kids are well aware that to paint over something like that with a "Go Flaming Chipmonks" or other sports slogan would result in being dipped into hot oil.

Of course, around here, Mr. Sorensen would be arrested and the rock would be given to someone like Rosenthal for a more 'politically proper' lie - er message.

Since it's along a public highway and includes a quote from George Bush, I fully expect a suit from the ACLU demanding that it be removed because it appropriates public property for partisan political purposes. [rolleyes]

Ken

Back
Top Bottom