• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

fancy Boyd's stock for Ruger American 22 Mag

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I recently got a Ruger 22 mag American Rimfire rifle. I liked the factory stock and with the high comb it made a very natural cheek weld for looking through the scope. But I saw this Boyd's fancy laminate stock, and decided it looked really cool and would make a good thing better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzRis_BOgE

However, after installing it, I found it just made the rifle a lot heavier and even though it's got adjustable cheek pad and length of pull, it just was more uncomfortable and less well balanced than the factory stock. Even the tiny 1/8" wider cheek pad was enough to throw off the centering of the sight picture through the scope.

I guess the lesson is if the factory hardware feels great and fits perfectly, consider yourself having won the lottery, there is no reason to go spending $$$ to try and make it a little better, it's already as good as its going to get.

I think this is a rant. if i'm right, it was the best one I've read in a while. short, to the point with a hint of disappointment with no blame game or name calling. best yet, no calls for a boycott, you're letting us make our own minds up. nice job on this, thanks for posting. and the heads up. [thumbsup]

I recently got a Ruger 22 mag American Rimfire rifle. I liked the factory stock and with the high comb it made a very natural cheek weld for looking through the scope. But I saw this Boyd's fancy laminate stock, and decided it looked really cool and would make a good thing better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzRis_BOgE

However, after installing it, I found it just made the rifle a lot heavier and even though it's got adjustable cheek pad and length of pull, it just was more uncomfortable and less well balanced than the factory stock. Even the tiny 1/8" wider cheek pad was enough to throw off the centering of the sight picture through the scope.

I guess the lesson is if the factory hardware feels great and fits perfectly, consider yourself having won the lottery, there is no reason to go spending $$$ to try and make it a little better, it's already as good as its going to get.

It would not take much to make a 4 way adjustable comb.

Back
Top Bottom