Family Survival Scenarios

UFO

I find this section of the forum very interesting and helpful. Seems only smart to think about preparing basic survival stores. If you're a single guy, a bug out bag makes sense. If you're a couple, you make two bags and you can still bug out.

But if you're a family of 4 or more (assume small kids), practically, for which scenario are you preparing and what can you really do?

In most scenarios, you're talking about protecting your home and hunkering down. Going without utilities for several weeks, etc.

If a city got nuked and you had to flee the fallout, could you even try? (again, as a family).

If its bio, like smallpox, they're going to implement ring quarantine and no one will be allowed to travel.

And if you're a working Dad, don't you really need the gear in your car so you can make it home when the shtf?

For this discussion, I am thinking about people in the surrounds of a major city (like inside Rt. 128).

I keep a BOB in the car for getting home. Big picture plan is to bug in. My locale is perfect for it.

Bugging out from home would take a day or two of prep.

As much as we fantasize about the super doomer EOTWAWKI scenarios, the much less exciting ones are more realistic. In the Northeast it is most likely going to be weather related. Hurricane, ice storm, blizzard etc. If you can hunker down at home for a couple of weeks that will ride you through 99% of what could happen. So do you have food for a couple of weeks? A way to heat the house without power? Enough cash on hand to cover expenses? If so you are probably all set.

As for bugging out type scenarios the most likely are short duration(48 hrs or less), look at things like chemical spills, fires or other local accidents that might force you out of your house. Are you near RR tracks, a major highway or an industrial complex? Keep a bag stocked with clothes, diapers, meds, comfprt foods and some money that you can just grab and go. You will be able to get food and help once you get out of the immediate area. Have phone numbers and a place to meet if you are seperated.

Once you have the above squared away then I would start worrying about the terror attacks, asteroid strikes, and nuke attacks. Also dont get sucked into the needing a huge amount of firepower either. Again a basic set up will get you through about 99% of what could happen.

Back
Top Bottom