• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Family of AR-15 inventor Eugene Stoner: He didn't intend it for civilians

Colt started selling the civilian version of the AR15 in 1963. Stoner passed away in 1997, so he had 34 years to say that he never wanted to see AR15s end up in civilian hands.

And Browning (I believe) thought the machine gun would make wars so terrifying we wouldn't fight them. He was wrong too.

I believe you are thinking of Dr Gatlin who was a Dr during the civil war and thought that if one man had a gun that could replace 30 men, there would be 29 less men on the field.... He was wrong...

I'll bet they didn't think about any of that when they cashed Colt's check, Politically correct opportunistic bastards.

The gun was invented to kill commies and how ironic that the same F'ing commies that were protesting during the Viet Nam war are now running things in the federal government and sending drones, planes, tanks, bombs and troops to kill people a little further west in the deserts of the middle east. Hypocrites!!!!

This popped up in my news feed:
Just read an article in where Eugene Stoner's family said he never intended the firearm for civilian usage.
Please behold the very first AR-15 sales ad ever fro...m 1963, marketed to the public as a sporting and hunting rifle.
Note this was before the military adopted the full auto M-16, the actual assault rifle, in 1969.
People are trying to rewrite history and claim the inventor never intended it for civilian use.
Well, it was sold for civilian use first!
Truth REALLY sucks sometimes doesn't it?
13442355_1017080611721927_5283715251445043057_n.jpg

Pretty sure the Second Amendment does not rest on any particular gun designer's intent, but on the Framers' original intent.

I think ggboy is correct, the AR10 came first, the military didn't like it or something like that and requested a smaller version...or something along those lines.

AR10 was rushed into the competition for a new battle rifle. It wasn't ready, lost to the M14. Armalite sold some overseas, Italy, Portugal and I think Somalia bought some for their militaries. The lessons learned from that process got folded into the AR15 which was later accepted as the M16.

I overheard at a gun shop counter that Eugene Stoner got into designing rifles as a way to try to compensate for his shrunken and deformed genitals. Apparently he had some sort of genetic condition that made a real mess of things down there. It supposedly would have afflicted all of his children - male and female - as well.

stoners must have been talking with malloy recently. It sucks not making royalties.

Last edited:
I mean Stoner made a lot more money than kalish.
If you are referring the the STG 44 it has almost nothing in common with either the Ar or the AK.
It was delayed roller blow back as opposed to direct impidgement or gas piston.
Klaish did copy some part designs used in other rifles.
As I recall.

ggboy

Back
Top Bottom