Family Blames Gun Show For Boy's Death

Wolf99

NES Member
WBZ Conversation Nation. Leave your comments-

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=WBZ_Morning

"They brought their eight year old son to a gun show and let him handle an Uzi. That boy was killed when the weapon went off

Now his family has filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit blaming, among others, a 15 year old instructor who handed the boy the gun

The family of Christopher Bazilj is also going after the owners of the gun club where the show was held, the promoters of the event and the companies that made the weapon and the ammo

The family alleges the 15 year old instructor who handed Chris the weapon was not properly trained.

They also claim the Uzi was "unreasonably dangerous"

Here we go... [rolleyes]

Yeah, blame the gun... but don't blame the father that made the idiotic decision to allow an 8 year old to shoot a micro uzi. [thinking]

-Mike

I am one of the few that believes the father, the organizers, and the club all hold responsibility in this.

Last edited:
why don't we hold the kid that smoked himself responsible and leave it at that

I'll disagree with you here. The kid was 8, since when can we honestly hold an 8 year old accountable for much of their actions? Honestly the number one person I hold responsible is the father. WTF was he thinking.

Can the club countersue him for reckless endangerment or gross negligence?

Stupid article as usual, but...

Is this the case where they rubber-banded the backstrap safety because the kid wasn't strong enough to hold it in? I mean, you want to set up a dangerous situation on purpose, take a shooter with a weak grip and go ahead and disable a safety feature that's there to prevent the already hard-to-handle firearm from discharging in a weak grip. If that was really the case, everyone there should have known they were setting up to fail and it was reckless, not just negligent behavior. I don't see the company being held liable when the safety feature they put in was intentionally disabled.

Stupid article as usual, but...

Is this the case where they rubber-banded the backstrap safety because the kid wasn't strong enough to hold it in? I mean, you want to set up a dangerous situation on purpose, take a shooter with a weak grip and go ahead and disable a safety feature that's there to prevent the already hard-to-handle firearm from discharging in a weak grip. If that was really the case, everyone there should have known they were setting up to fail and it was reckless, not just negligent behavior. I don't see the company being held liable when the safety feature they put in was intentionally disabled.

Obviously, the company should have made the safety feature harder to disable. I mean, seriously? Disabled with a simple rubber band or two? Those manufacturers are obviously conspiring, along with rubber band makers, to get these evil assault pistols into the (weak) hands of our children, where they will wreak havoc on themselves and others. The father and supervisors at the show obviously were duped by the gun company's plan (they are some tricky bastards); and therefore shouldn't be held accountable. It is CLEARLY the fault of the manufacturer.

It's so much easier to blame the gun than the lame-brain, irresponsible, asshat father who assisted in killing his own son.... The only win that came from this tragedy is that the kid didn't hose the firing line...From what I understand, this was not the fathers first run in with stupid firearms handling...He should sue himself.

I'll disagree with you here. The kid was 8, since when can we honestly hold an 8 year old accountable for much of their actions? Honestly the number one person I hold responsible is the father. WTF was he thinking.

Can the club countersue him for reckless endangerment or gross negligence?

Weren't there other young kids that shot the uzi without killing themselves. (this is what I have heard, but can't confirm)

You are joking right?

An eight year old cannot possibly be held responsible for a situation than an interested adult put them in.

seriously... all the poor kid was thinking was "COOL!"

IMHO the range "safety" officer, the organizers, THE PARENT, all hold responsibility to some degree or another

IMO the father is the sole person to blame. Having seen many kids shoot, each one is different in their own ability. If I saw a father hand his son a micro uzi I would be convinced his father knows that kids ability more than I do.

He needs to man up and take responsibility for his actions. This witch hunt is complete bullshit.

Last edited:
there is more than enough blame to go around here, but the question is does it rise to the level of negligence?

Poor judgement... you bet! Starting with Dad.
I mean come on a bleeping Uzi! They are not known for being an easy weapon to handle, even in the hands of an adult with basic knowledge of firearms.

The problem is an 8 year old can not make an informed decision and relies on his parents and other adults to protect him from harm, and although no laws were broken that I am aware of, there was a serious lack of brains involved IMHO when someone handed a child an automatic weapon of that configuration. Criminal... probably not, negligent... probably, but that will be for a jury to decide.

there is more than enough blame to go around here, but the question is does it rise to the level of negligence?

Disabling the safety features on an Uzi, loading a full mag, and handing it to an 8 year old? Yeah, I'd say that's pretty much the definition of negligence.

If I saw a father hand his son a micro uzi I would be convinced his father knows that kids ability more than I do.

Yup! This is what being a parent is all about. Watching out for your children and making sure they are not put into a position that will cause them harm.

My daughter is about to turn eight..... there is no friggin way that she could handle such a thing.

My son is five and he is doing some things now that my daughter cannot do.

Every kid at that age is different and it is up to a parent to know where that line in the sand is.

I do believe that the club/organizers are going to end up bearing some responsibility here as well for allowing access by children to firearms that are not necessarily age appropriate.

This is part of the responsibilities that one takes on when organizing an event whether it is firearms related or not.

If I remember reading correctly, the Dad is an MD that is an attending at one of the nearby CT hospitals. Not exactly intelligence challenged. I think this suit is more about his failure to accept his accountability of these events.

Back
Top Bottom