Falmouth Approves Police Firearm Disposal Rule

I don't know what the law used to be, if any, but I'm having a hard time finding fault here.
Concerning assault rifles, Johnson-Staub said the same stipulations apply as with sidearms but stated that there is an addition in the policy so there is a preference that the surplus rifles be sold back to active members of the Falmouth Police Department.

Town Counsel Maura O’Keefe said the policy was drafted so that selling the weapons back to police officers was a preference and not a requirement.

“I worded like this to draw back from it placing a requirement on the gun dealers to only sell them to law enforcement because I believe that might be an infringement on their second amendment right,” O’Keefe said.

Police officers present at the meeting said the weapons could benefit officers who wish to train with the used weapons on their own time.

The fact that the anti-2A citizens were concerned about this also makes it sound like a good thing.
Some Falmouth residents at the meeting expressed concerns about the weapons possibly going back into the community.

So what were they doing before??? Throwing them in the trash? Leaving them on the side of the road outside of the PD????

"We're going to destroy them or sell them to responsible people or trade them in." Ummmm, OK?

I thought that it was...curious...that listed under this thread, under similar threads, was this:

"Concerning assault rifles, Johnson-Staub said the same stipulations apply as with sidearms but stated that there is an addition in the policy so there is a preference that the surplus rifles be sold back to active members of the Falmouth Police Department."

So, are they really surplus military assault rifles that the PFD received from the Feds, or is someone simply misnaming scary black guns? And if they are real assault rifles, how many of the FPD have machine gun licenses to make that sales preference meaningful?

Last edited:
"Concerning assault rifles, Johnson-Staub said the same stipulations apply as with sidearms but stated that there is an addition in the policy so there is a preference that the surplus rifles be sold back to active members of the Falmouth Police Department."

So, are they really surplus military assault rifles the the PFD received from the Feds, or is someone simply misnaming scary black guns? And if they are real assault rifles, how many of the FPD have machine gun licenses to make that sales preference meaningful?
Depends on how they are registered. If on Form10, no go. They are probably AR patrol rifles anyway.Then again,there are still some Reisings out there. Jack.

They are just trying to make it look good as they sell them cheap to the POs, who will probably sell them at a profit.

Police officers present at the meeting said the weapons could benefit officers who wish to train with the used weapons on their own time.
What, they can't practice with their actual issued firearm? Are they required to leave their issued firearm at the station when off duty?

They are only assault rifles after, they get rid of them![rofl2]
We are going to destroy or dispose of them.
Wheew, another mass shooting avoided by our boys in blue.
Such a logical solution by our most intellegent!
Hmmm, what are our choices...Long pause......I got it!
Sounded like a multiple choice question.. [smile]

So much better than Boston Police leaving their Glocks all over the city in a giant Easter egg hunt in the 1980's.

Where is their "We stand with Ukraine" flag?
Get with the times man. What a missed, self projecting opportunity![slap]

Last edited:
They are just trying to make it look good as they sell them cheap to the POs, who will probably sell them at a profit.

What, they can't practice with their actual issued firearm? Are they required to leave their issued firearm at the station when off duty?
I can't say what other depts have, but I know at mine we only have enough patrol rifles for the frontline cruisers plus a couple of spares. They only come out for quals and the armorers as far as I know....

And.....the locals are not happy about this

What this article proves is, that Falmouth has a large contingency of communists living in their town, who should be routed out.

Remember people saying "take note of where all those Biden signs were put on public display? Well, this is why.

I can't say what other depts have, but I know at mine we only have enough patrol rifles for the frontline cruisers plus a couple of spares. They only come out for quals and the armorers as far as I know....

So you're saying that I and four or five of my neighbors collectively have more "patrol rifles" than your entire department? [rofl]

(edited to correct the grammar - 'me have' - duh).

Last edited:
It would be terrific poetic justice if some of the "good" reverend's flock stood up and let her know that they had some of these rifles.
30 seconds of Googling indicates that she's recently retired, and given her Episcopal affiliation I'm guessing the vast majority of her former flock in Woods Hole go into vapors at the mere mention of "guns" and probably signed the petition.

What i don't get is why a PD would have a large turnover of ARs.

Handguns are carried, beatup a bit, something they practice with, and with wear and tear likely do need replacement on a schedule. Occasionally they are also changed out due to policy changes (ie caliber, maybe standard issue model changes etc).

Rifles - especially an AR, how often are they ever using them? I assume they are kept in an armory, maybe locked up in a trunk here and there. And taken out for training rarely, or an occasional actual duty need extremely rarely. Their usefull live at a PD is probably kinda forever. Being an AR, isn't like they gotta upgrade the entire rifle to get a shorter barrel, different rail etc etc. I guess maybe some PD would decide it'd be nice to have (insert "better" patrol rifles here, ie SCAR) but that ought to be less often than once a decade.

30 seconds of Googling indicates that she's recently retired, and given her Episcopal affiliation I'm guessing the vast majority of her former flock in Woods Hole go into vapors at the mere mention of "guns" and probably signed the petition.

Ain't that the truth.

Back
Top Bottom