FAL Meetup

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

So we've recently had two members become members of the FAL brethren, myself and @daekken, with me buying a SA58 and him buying a R1 receiver clone from DSA. I bought mine based on advice from members here and going to a rental range, which caused @daekken to post his own thread that I saw, so we met up and shot my FAL at his range.

Where can I rent a FAL in Southern New England?

7.62x51 / 308 Semi-auto options

Here's what I'm thinking: we organize a Bush War Era 2-gun match. Rules are simple, bring a FAL or L1A1 with a pistol that would be appropriate for combat in the 1950s-70s in armies that fielded the FAL or L1A1. This would include the Browning Hi Power, the Star BM, the Enfield No. 2 Mk I, the S&W Model 10 (Ian Smith had a S&W from when he was a fighter pilot in WW2, this presumably would be a Model 10 or some smaller variation), the Tokarev and Makarov (Rhodesia captured and used these), and 1911s (Brazil, Argentina). Glock 17s would also be fine because the StG58 left service in '85 and the Glock came in during '82. Extra props if you use actual or repro web gear.

This match would probably best happen in NH or RI to avoid members not from Mass having issues with mags and transport, etc. Just better peace of mind for us non-Mass members. If there's enough interest to field a "squad" or a "stick", I will talk to some people in the RI 3-gun community about setting up a match so we can use facilities and equipment like steel gongs, Texas stars, etc.

What say ye?

Mag issues? Aren’t 99% of available mags pre-ban?

Not these days. New SA58s from DSA come with Moses Mags, which are new production polymer USA-made mags. I have and use Moses Mags. DSA also sells their own StG58 clone mags made in IL. I just want to avoid non-Mass people having to deal with the "well, jeeze, I don't know if my mags are Mass-compliant (never mind the rifle itself post-Healey), so I won't come."

Great idea. I'm in with my L1A1 clone and my Inglis HP, plus whatever pattern 58 web gear I've still got... depending on date/time.

I'm thinking Labor Day +/-

I'm in so long as the FAL is completed by the date the event is held and there's nothing unusual with my schedule that comes up.

I'm guessing P226 is no go for pistol? Production started in 1983. I'll run the Makarov otherwise.

I'm in so long as the FAL is completed by the date the event is held and there's nothing unusual with my schedule that comes up.

I'm guessing P226 is no go for pistol? Production started in 1983. I'll run the Makarov otherwise.

I can't think of a country that had both the P226 and the FAL/L1A1 at the same time as standard issue guns. The 226 is also after the FAL's heyday of from say the Malayan Emergency to the Falklands War. I might be able to spot you with a Bush War-approved pistol.

Its looking like we have two guys ready to go today and two guys who are working on projects. So I'm thinking we could set a tentative date for Labor Day weekend or Veteran's Day (UDI) if this is an actual match rather than a get together. We could do a get together whenever everyone's rifles are ready to go. I may ask around the RI and New England 3-gun pages and FALFiles if any other New England FAL owners want to join in.

What I would like to do is a stage of short range shooting, say no more than 25 yards for rifle, and a stage of 150-200 yard shooting. Most combat in places like Malaysia and Rhodesia occurred in jungle, bush, and small villages and was very up close and personal. A "jungle walk" would be freakin' sweet. So we could have a "Mukumbura" stage of short range shooting and a "Goose Green" long range gong-ringing stage.

Thoughts?

I posted about a FAL meetup in the RI 3-gun, New England 3-gun, and FN FAL Owners Group Facebook groups in addition to the 'files. See if we can get more New England FAL owners coming.

I am SO tentatively in, aging family issues aside. Rhodesian Short Shorts w/ suspenders may be in order.

Harvard USPSA is having a rifle only match in September I believe, not to hijack, but if there are others in MA or aren't concerned with the intricities of MA Firearms Law, a few FAL's on the same squad would be pretty baller.

Few updates:

First, if anyone has experience with 3-gun or USPSA stage design, help would be much appreciated. I have a rough idea of how to design the short range stage but I've never done this before and am willing to take a back seat if someone has more experience. For the long range stage, I want to do a 200 or 100-yard Kasarda drill, as I mentioned in this thread:

Looking for 2 gun or carbine matches

Here's what a Kasarda drill is for the uninformed - if you're unwilling to heave a kettlebell, you can elect to take a penalty:

Main difference between what I'd like to do and a normal Kasarda drill is that I'd like to have people draw pistols at around 15-25 yards from the backstop.

Second, this match will probably take place at Pelham Fish and Game on 11/11. Headcount is an expected ten people, four from NES and the remainder from Facebook FAL or 3-gun groups. Feel free to invite FAL-owning or FAL-interested friends. I plan on meeting @daekken this Saturday at Pelham and submitting the facilities request soon thereafter.

Third, there will not be an entry fee. There will be some sort of lunch. Open to suggestions.

Once this is officially through Pelham's clubocracy, I am going to make a shareable .jpg poster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an official picture of what a Kasarda drill looks like sans pistol element:

17191301_1710443438982599_6649199420930680239_n.png

So the facilities request was denied, maybe we can find a different venue next year that will be more accommodating.

In the short term, we may do something less formal this year involving casual FAL/Cold War pistols, or a simple stage and/or a meal afterwards. Open to suggestions as well.

If anyone's interested or has ideas, feel free to PM me.

I just got a FAL for myself, however I need to do some work on it. If there's a meetup, can we hold off for another couple weeks plz??

I just got a FAL for myself, however I need to do some work on it. If there's a meetup, can we hold off for another couple weeks plz??
11/11 (Monday, Veterans/UDI Day) was the original proposed date. For something less formal it's probably no longer set in stone.

Did this ever happen? Just stumbled onto this thread!
I would attend a FAL meet up but Pelham F&G is over an hour and a half drive. If a meet were to happen in RI, a little closer to the Cape, I could probably swing it.

Did this ever happen? Just stumbled onto this thread!
I would attend a FAL meet up but Pelham F&G is over an hour and a half drive. If a meet were to happen in RI, a little closer to the Cape, I could probably swing it.

@daekken and I submitted a proposal to Pelham's board of directors, who shot the idea down without any explanation. I'm going to make another attempt at getting this idea up off the ground this year at my club in RI. Or, I might merge the idea with a 70s/80s themed match:

NES 70s/80s Shoot - UPDATE: SEE POST NO. 1

Back
Top Bottom