FAL build

not new guy

NES Member
Does anybody have any experience building up a FAL? Is it cost effective or even possible to do so here in MA, or would I be better off redirecting my .308 MBR efforts? I've seen a few articles that don't make it seem too expensive or complicated, but some other perspectives would be appreciated.

Yes, I built an STG58 kit on an Imbel receiver. It's not as easy as an AR, but it can be done as an at home project. Whether you save any money.....I have no idea. I bought the parts kit and receiver sometime in 1996 or 97 - no idea what they go for now. There are FAL specific tools for assembling the receiver and barrel that you will either need to build yourself or buy. You also have to worry about the MA assault weapons ban, and 922r imported parts compliance. You will need headspace gauges, too.

This was the project that kept getting back-burnered for years. I finished it (well, functional finished, I haven't made up my mind about refinishing yet) last month. It's a fun rifle, now that every piece of the gas system has been replaced. I'm not sure I'd do it again - I don't like it as much as a 308 AR. Glad I did build one, though.

Thanks for the feedback - the MA compliance thing is something that I'm going to have to give more attention to. I'm very comfortable taking on an AR build with the guidance and advice of the folks here on NES, but heading out into FAL territory without quite the wealth of knowledge or parts options is daunting.

well back to the FAL on atlanticfirearms.com , its got a 10 rd, perm attached muzzlebrake, no lug and the 922R parts and its refinished , just the receiver alone is worth 399 from enterprise arms who makes them.plus a good parts kit is 429 and thats not including the 922r parts and the Ejt Block and Locking Shoulder. i did much research and found it was a cheaper and easier route to get one and it shoots great i love it.

That's good to hear - I'll check out Atlantic when their site is back up. Atlantic will also apparantly warranty theirs, and based on their activity on some other forums they seem like a customer-focused shop, which helps.

So this: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct618.aspx is MA legal? I could order it from Atlantic and have it shipped to an FFL?

I don't see any indication in the ad that the brake is permanently attached, which would be an illegal configuration in MA. Check with them directly. If it isn't, you still have options. Atlantic may be able/willing to attach it themselves, or you could order it through an FFL who would be willing to attach the brake permanently before transferring it to you. If it were me, I'd run the order by your FFL first - I'd hate to order the rifle from Atlantic and then not be able to transfer it in. Also confirm with Atlantic that the mag is a 10 round one - hate to hold up the rifle because it had a post-ban 20 round mag. It's not like preban 20 rounders are uncommon.....

Ah - that makes sense. Thank you.

I actually called Atlantic today and the guy that picked up didn't seem at all interested in talking about the muzzle brake, so I'll have to find an FFL around here that knows what they're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom