FAL and CETME What's the deal?

What is the real differences between the FAL and the CETME? Is the CETME just a Spanish copy of the FAL? Anyone have any experience with either/both of them?

Radically different weapons system designs, from the ground up. Fielded caliber is the only real commonality.

CETME (and later G3-pattern) uses a delayed roller-block system. FAL is a conventional tilting bolt. Spanish apples and Belgian oranges.

When my FAL gets back from the refinisher, come shoot it and get familiar.

What is the real differences between the FAL and the CETME? Is the CETME just a Spanish copy of the FAL? Anyone have any experience with either/both of them?

Former CETME owner here.
Different guns, no relation to each other. The only thing in common is a love for .308 ammo.
CETME is the father of the H&K G3. Roller-lock action.
FAL is child of the FN-49. Tilting bolt lockup and gas piston.

Edit: beat to the answer by faster poster!

Thanks guys.

Scott, did you buy or build? Any insight on building?

Built. Still have most of the tools. IMO/E, not as easy as an AR. Easier than an AK. Tons of good, step-by-step info out there.

ETA: I don't want to give the impression that it take specialized tools. I have a receiver wrench and barrel vise, used for barreling the upper receiver.

Built. Still have most of the tools. IMO/E, not as easy as an AR. Easier than an AK. Tons of good, step-by-step info out there.

ETA: I don't want to give the impression that it take specialized tools. I have a receiver wrench and barrel vise, used for barreling the upper receiver.

this. It's a fairly simple build if you buy a decent receiver (Coonan or DSA). My Coonan receiver mated to a virgin Argentinian barrel with some very light filing on the barrel mating surface.

the most work involved in a FAL build is either building a virgin parts kit (riveting the charging handle knob- easy since it's plastic, and installing the carry handle washers) or demilling a gas torched receiver stub from the barrel. That is the most work involved in a FAL build, and they're different levels of work.

I had a CETME a few years back. Chambers are fluted to assist in extraction. Gives the cases a series of marks where the flutes are. Pretty dirty also as hot gas is flowing in the flutes. Brass is reloadable as I did it regularly. Just looks funky with the straitions but the brass is solid. Really needs good cleaning also.

I had a CETME a few years back. Chambers are fluted to assist in extraction. Gives the cases a series of marks where the flutes are. Pretty dirty also as hot gas is flowing in the flutes. Brass is reloadable as I did it regularly. Just looks funky with the straitions but the brass is solid. Really needs good cleaning also.

Same. Brass looks pretty beat up after firing, but it reloads fine after some tumbling.

The CETME mostly gets a bad rep as being a shi**y/cheapskate alternative to a G3 or a G3 clone, mostly because CAI has done a hatchet job on so many of them.

-Mike

Kind of odd statement on two battle rifles (FAL and G3) that at one point or another were in use by damn near every country in the free world.

they guy is holding a AR15 in his avatar. Of course he's going to say that [wink]

The CETME mostly gets a bad rep as being a shi**y/cheapskate alternative to a G3 or a G3 clone, mostly because CAI has done a hatchet job on so many of them.

-Mike

Agreed- Century Arms "headspaced" a lot of CETMEs that they built by grinding down the bolt face like a bunch of retarded monkeys. So there's now this aura around the CETME that they either puncture primers and spit hot gases into your face every time you pull the trigger or that they bind on ammunition all day long because the lugs on the bolt aren't timed well to the chamber.

Kind of odd statement on two battle rifles (FAL and G3) that at one point or another were in use by damn near every country in the free world.
I've owned an FAL. Decent rifle, but not what I would call the best .308 semi-auto. I've shot a HK, not a CETME, but close enough. The height of German firearm design was the Mauser. Enough said.

Those two designs may have been used by damn near every country in the free world, but not the greatest damn country in the free world.[wink]
Both pale in comparison to the M14, in my view.

I've owned an FAL. Decent rifle, but not what I would call the best .308 semi-auto. I've shot a HK, not a CETME, but close enough. The height of German firearm design was the Mauser. Enough said.

Those two designs may have been used by damn near every country in the free world, but not the greatest damn country in the free world.[wink]
Both pale in comparison to the M14, in my view.

The M14? The Garand-in-a-different-caliber-with-a-magazine? That one?

The M14 design was measured and found to be "Meh" by numerous countries. At one point the FAL was truly the "Free World's Right Arm," and while the ergonomics of the G3-pattern rifle don't work for me, you can't swing a dead terrorist without hitting a country still using that weapon. They weren't bought for the price, not when compared to the "please take this and be our friend" price of M14s. And the "superior" M14 is being used...where again?

I don't have/like an iPhone, but I have to admit that a million-billion-jillion users must be onto something.

Anyone wanna add...

"What rifle is better, the AR or the AK?"
"What caliber is better, 45acp or 9mm?"
"What pistol is better, Glock or 1911?"

Just thought I'd spice it up a bit..... [rofl][rolleyes]

[rofl] That made me laugh, thanks.

The M14 design was measured and found to be "Meh" by numerous countries. At one point the FAL was truly the "Free World's Right Arm," and while the ergonomics of the G3-pattern rifle don't work for me, you can't swing a dead terrorist without hitting a country still using that weapon. They weren't bought for the price, not when compared to the "please take this and be our friend" price of M14s. And the "superior" M14 is being used...where again?

I agree with the poor ergonomics on the CETME/G3 controls. Heavy trigger, backwards safety (vs AR15), no provision for forward assist. My CETME was big, heavy, and made by Century, but it was 100% reliable and was a real gentle-shooting .308.

I don't have/like an iPhone, but I have to admit that a million-billion-jillion users must be onto something.
Admitedly, I don't know much about the CETME/HK, but I do know a little about both the FAL and the M14. I prefer the M14. It's a better rifle.
Garand-in-a-different-caliber-with-a-magazine? Sounds like the perfect rifle to me.[grin]

I agree with the poor ergonomics on the CETME/G3 controls. Heavy trigger, backwards safety (vs AR15), no provision for forward assist. My CETME was big, heavy, and made by Century, but it was 100% reliable and was a real gentle-shooting .308.
When I shot the HK, I found the recoil to be more noticeable than the FAL & M14. Hard to explain; not harsh recoil, just more drawn out.
If I had to choose CETME or FAL, I'd go FAL.

Never had I wanted to like a rifle more than a G3, and each time I pick it up I'm frustrated on just how wrong the fit is for me. I don't know if it arms too long, too short, hands too big, too small, whatever. No matter how many times I try that rifle, it's like trying on a bad-fitting suit.

Now the FAL...I'm pretty sure that's what they're shooting in Heaven.

OK here is my $.02.

The FAL is a hell of a lot easier to build than the Cetme AKA HK G3 pattern rifle (note the Cetme is the predecessor to the HK G3 series rifle.

The Cetme aka HK G3 / HK9X series of rifle requires welding and involved headspacing that is much easier on the FAL series.

BTW filing the barrel shoulder on a FAL build is the wrong way to do it, using a lathe is the correct way to remove material from the barrel shoulder or if its only a thousandth or so of an inch I have a sanding tool that works good as it takes material from the shoulder evenly.

A guy on the fal files sells this sanding tool.

I would also strongly suggest that the OP purchase the book called "The FAL RIFLE" to get some good edumication before embarking on any journey involving any variant of the FAL rifle.

I have about 27 years experience shooting and working on FAL and HK9X series rifles, I own several of each.

When I shot the HK, I found the recoil to be more noticeable than the FAL & M14. Hard to explain; not harsh recoil, just more drawn out.
If I had to choose CETME or FAL, I'd go FAL.
That's the roller-delayed action of the CETME/G3 design: http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?opti...nal-operation&catid=4:special-topics&Itemid=5

Never had I wanted to like a rifle more than a G3, and each time I pick it up I'm frustrated on just how wrong the fit is for me. I don't know if it arms too long, too short, hands too big, too small, whatever. No matter how many times I try that rifle, it's like trying on a bad-fitting suit.

Hmm, I have a theory. How does a Glock feel to you? I HATE the feel of a Glock, but the G3 is perfect for me, and I know of another person with the same preferences.

Back
Top Bottom