• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Faker friggin Baker at it again

71montess

NES Member
In case there were any doubt Chuckie proposes another liberal idea.
Having the State take away local decision's on land use.
His HOUSING COICE BILL will reduce the threshold of 2/3 rds vote to simple majority for local land use agendas. He's a C S for shur !

He might want to make Concord the test case. We (the Concord-Littleton Properties world headquarters) sold five buildings there, zoned industrial, because the town changed the ZBLs in our section of the town JUST BECAUSE OF OUR BUILDINGS to get rid of the industrial uses we had in them. Concord wants green space, small retail shops, etc. No shops full of people working with their hands, making stuff and making the noise that goes with it. Of course they couldn't shut us down, but if we lost tenants, we could only replace them with other industrial tenants BY SPECIAL PERMIT. Which they would not grant, of course. Jack.

He might want to make Concord the test case. We (the Concord-Littleton Properties world headquarters) sold five buildings there, zoned industrial, because the town changed the ZBLs in our section of the town JUST BECAUSE OF OUR BUILDINGS to get rid of the industrial uses we had in them. Concord wants green space, small retail shops, etc. No shops full of people working with their hands, making stuff and making the noise that goes with it. Of course they couldn't shut us down, but if we lost tenants, we could only replace them with other industrial tenants BY SPECIAL PERMIT. Which they would not grant, of course. Jack.
You should have sold it for 40B housing. They can't stop that and have no control over it per MGL.

You should have sold it for 40B housing. They can't stop that and have no control over it per MGL.
Well Len, we sold them for more than we wanted. As you get older, you tend to cut back. The developer that we sold three of them to filled them with office space because he is buddies with every member on every board and committee in town. Didn't matter that he did not have the parking for office use. I talked to the building inspector about this and his response was that he was retiring in a few months. Typical politics. Jack.

The 2/3 majority for zoning changes is a time-tested tool for making sure developments are in the best interest of the entire community. Otherwise neighborhoods could be destroyed by a 50% + 1 vote of those who live in the other side of town. Good projects can and often do get the necessary super majority. It's not an insurmountable hurdle - it happens frequently.

Housing and Economic Development Secretary Mike Kennealy is Baker's point man on this initiatve. An Irony here is that his own wife sought a zoning change for a very controversial development project here in Lexington (turning a closed old-age home into a hotel). After much debate in town meeting, the zoning change was approved by the necessary 2/3 vote. The development proceeded, and it has been a success. This change to 50% +1 is unneccesary.

If I remember the story correctly, many years ago in Lexington, a farm owner wanted to turn some of his land into a driving range. The town said "no".
He said "OK, then I'll do low income housing". I believe he had the legal right at the time to make that decision, correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Voila, a driving range.

If I remember the story correctly, many years ago in Lexington, a farm owner wanted to turn some of his land into a driving range. The town said "no".
He said "OK, then I'll do low income housing". I believe he had the legal right at the time to make that decision, correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Voila, a driving range.
I believe this is
Voila, a driving range.
I believe this is the same guy who puts a creche on his property, in a high visibility location, in response to the town banishing it from the Battle Green. He keeps a low profile but we conservatives know about him here.

Voila, a driving range.

IIRC, it was zoned agricultural, and his plan was to make it into a pig farm. Town quoted Master (of MasterBlaster from Thunderdome): "No! Not pigs!"

Back in the day, I worked at the Chrysler store in West Concord, when ownership changed. New owner had to go to get licenses, etc. Zoning (or whatever) board was unhappy that cars for sale would be visible from the street. In an area that was zoned, and was currently in use as a car dealership. [rolleyes]

Concord is a special place. [laugh]

Back in the day, I worked at the Chrysler store in West Concord, when ownership changed. New owner had to go to get licenses, etc. Zoning (or whatever) board was unhappy that cars for sale would be visible from the street. In an area that was zoned, and was currently in use as a car dealership. [rolleyes]

Concord is a special place. [laugh]
One of the properties we owned in West Concord was a large lot at the end of Bradford St. It was permitted as a commercial parking lot. I let the tenants of our other buildings on the street use it for parking. The neighbors constantly bitched about it. One time they came to me and wanted to use the lot for parking for a big block party. I gave them the choice between sucking wind and pounding sand. Jack.

Still, a small world. Especially when you rattle around in it, for long enough.

Anecdote: I just changed jobs, My new location is on the same street as where one of my kids works; during the interview, the guy I was interviewing with told me that he'd worked in the office park next to the one in which the company that I just left was located.

Back
Top Bottom