Facts to ponder

Facts to ponder:
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

Now think about this: Guns:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million.)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.
Statistics courtesy of the FBI.

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."
Fact: Not everyone has a gun, but almost everyone has at least one doctor.
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.
We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!
Out of concern for the public at large, we have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention!

You mean "crap" to ponder.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.

Show me a valid source for this number (other than another thread on this or another site) and I won't lock this thread.

Last edited:
The problem with the statistic above is that it relates:

a percentage per gun owner against

a percentage per doctor when it should use "person with doctor" and it would be alot lower. It does make you think a bit.

In 1998, 30,708 people in the United States died from firearm-related deaths - 12,102 (39%) of those were murdered; 17,424 (57%) were suicides; 866 (3%) were accidents; and in 316 (1%) the intent was unknown.” http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/factsheets/?page=firefacts

Now this is fro m the anti's 30,708 total gun deaths not just accidents

Doctors Are the Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S.

Cause 250,000 Deaths Every Year

8.14 times more likely to be killed by a doctor than a gun
288.68 times more likely to be killed my a medical accedent than a gun accident

An alternative medicine website is hardly credible. Here's another article from the same site:

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/public_health/microchip_implants.htm

Here's an excerpt:
When a 5-micromillimeter microchip (the diameter of a strand of hair is 50 micromillimeters) is placed into optical nerve of the eye, it draws neuroimpulses from the brain that embody the experiences, smells, sights, and voice of the implanted person. Once transferred and stored in a computer, these neuroimpulses can be projected back to the person’s brain via the microchip to be reexperienced. Using a RMS, a land-based computer operator can send electromagnetic messages (encoded as signals) to the nervous system, affecting the target's performance. With RMS, healthy persons can be induced to see hallucinations and to hear voices in their heads.

Every thought, reaction, hearing, and visual observation causes a certain neurological potential, spikes, and patterns in the brain and its electromagnetic fields, which can now be decoded into thoughts, pictures, and voices. Electromagnetic stimulation can therefore change a person's brainwaves and affect muscular activity, causing painful muscular cramps experienced as torture.

Do you still believe your numbers?

Fricken Laser Beams...

dr.evil.laser.jpg

ok try these

We'll go with those. Here's a excerpt that is germane to our discussion (emphasis mine):
... from 2004 to 2006... Of the 270,491 deaths that occurred among patients who experienced one or more patient safety incidents, 238,337 were potentially preventable, the researchers said. If all hospitals performed at the level of the top-ranked hospitals, about 220,106 patient safety incidents and 37,214 patient deaths could have been avoided, and about $2 billion could have been saved.

Let's work with the 37,214 number. That was over a 3-year period, which means 12,405 or so deaths "caused" by doctors per year. That's about 1/10th the number in the OP.

I'm not disputing the fact that doctors accidentally kill people, I'm not even disputing that doctors accidentally kill more people than firearms.

What bothered me was that the ridiculous assertion that doctors accidentally kill 120,000 per year was being presented as "fact".

What bothered me was that the ridiculous assertion that doctors accidentally kill 120,000 per year was being presented as "fact".

I agree, I knew those stats where at least questionable. With a little research we could actually come up with a hard stat that could actually help convert some anti's. Like the pool, or 5 gal bucket analogy makes a few people think twice.

I agree, I knew those stats where at least questionable. With a little research we could actually come up with a hard stat that could actually help convert some anti's. Like the pool, or 5 gal bucket analogy makes a few people think twice.

I think the "people-are-killed-by-guns-but-more-people-are-killed-by-X" argument is a poor choice to convert anybody to anything.

If we took 1000 doctors and 1000 gun owners and had the doctors treat patients 8 hours a day while the gun owners shot their guns 8 hours a day, we'd have something to compare. I think a more accurate comparison would be to find out how many people in the country went to the doctor last year vs how many were killed by doctor mistakes.

People who buy into this kind of thing are the types who sit at the roulette table waiting for a number that hasn't hit in a while before betting.

If we took 1000 doctors and 1000 gun owners and had the doctors treat patients 8 hours a day while the gun owners shot their guns 8 hours a day, we'd have something to compare.

No we wouldn't.

I know a doctor that specializes in treating people with terminal diseases. One hundred percent of her patients die while under her care. Sick people go to doctors. Sick people also frequently die.

I think the "people-are-killed-by-guns-but-more-people-are-killed-by-X" argument is a poor choice to convert anybody to anything.

Agreed as it's way too easy for them to turn it around along the lines of 'why do we have to accept even 1 gun related death....blah blah blah'

Not to [horse] but the comparison becomes even weaker when considering that there is no such thing as a safe medical procedure. All include risk, even using a tongue depressor or a band-aid.

The practice of medicine is assessing risks and benefits at its core. Sometimes the benefit outweighs the risk, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes human beings make mistakes.

This is something of a pet peeve of mine. A libtard friend once tried to bait me into an argument by parroting a line from Bill Maher or someone like him. She said, "for all the money we spend on research, how come we never actually cure anything?"

Naw. We don't cure anything. Soldiers injured in Iraq don't get prosthetic limbs. Women don't survive breast cancer. Infections are always fatal. About the same percentage of women die in child birth that did in 1066. Men just have to deal with enlarged prostates because there's no such thing as TURP, hygiene isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Simple answers to complex issues generally point to a simple mind.

Whatever the stats some number of doctor related deaths in the world are probably inevitable.

Can we at least agree on "reasonable restrictions" on types of doctors? I'm thinking high capacity doctors and ones with scary looking features would be a good place to start. :)

It is for the children...

Last edited:
Whatever the stats some number of doctor related deaths in the world are probably inevitable.

Can we at least agree on "reasonable restrictions" on types of doctors? I'm thinking high capacity doctors and ones with scary looking features would be a good place to start. :)

It is for the children...

I say we include doctors with bayonet lug fingers for prostate exams on the banned list.

Back
Top Bottom