• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fabric Waterproofing Ideas Needed

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
I have a canvas bike cover that i have had for a couple of years. It has served me well. When new it would stop all water from seeping through. After time I'm starting to see water make its way through (especially seams ). replacement for the canvas is about 150.00 so I would like to re- waterproof the one I have. Do you guys have any ideas for how to make it water proof again?

If it was originally a type of oilcloth, you can recondition it to bring the waterproof properties back.
Another option is rustoleum neverwet, which is pretty cool but some reviews say that it gets destroyed by the sun, so you may have to re-do it more often.

Unless a fabric is inherently waterproof (like Gore Tex, PVC) it typically uses a coating called DWR (Durable Water Repellent) to make it waterproof. The coating wears away or breaks down and needs to be re-applied every year or two. Inexpensive ski outerwear is a good example....it's pretty waterproof when new and then eventually absorbs water around the seat, knees and elbows where the coating wears off. You could try looking at the DWR sprays and see if they would work. Nixwax also makes a lot of sprays and pastes for boots, tents and other outdoor gear.

If the seams are leaking, re-seal it like you would a tent:
If the fabric is leaking, apply Nikwax, it works well:

Last edited by a moderator:
For canvas tarps:
[video=youtube_share;P3v3EqY0whk]http://youtu.be/P3v3EqY0whk[/video]

For nylon tarps:
[video=youtube_share;kDVllsGEUgw]http://youtu.be/kDVllsGEUgw[/video]

I have an unopened can of stuff I used to use on a canvas rain coat (long coat). You can have it if you want to give it a try. Maybe when you come up, like you keep talking about, you can grab it... [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom