• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

fabric rest melted on AR barrel....

ArmySGTPM

Army Veteran
after shooting a lot off of bench and fabric rest...my buddy laid my rifles on the rest letting the smoking barrel rest directly on the fabric...I didn't realize this till too late and now I have melted fabric on my barrel....any tips on the best way to remove this crud? traditional cleaning solvents or something better? thanks

At the risk of sounding dumb...what would work best to heat it up? Since now i am home and cant picture my neighbors enjoying me shooting at their houses

if the "fabric" has melted onto the barrel,try the opposite,pack some ice on the melted fabric for a while and it should become brittle enough to break off the stuff in pieces. What's on the barrel is not "fabric" it's a form of plastic. I think one of the chemical ice packs should do the trick. If you have access to dry ice even better.

Do it the next time you're at the range.

Exactly....go back to the range, and repeat step one, minus laying it on the fabric. After a few hundred rounds, shot in rapid succession, you'll be good to go. Wipe it down with an old rag.

Exactly....go back to the range, and repeat step one, minus laying it on the fabric. After a few hundred rounds, shot in rapid succession, you'll be good to go. Wipe it down with an old rag.

Make sure the rag isn't made of nylon/polyester/polypropylene/etc.......[laugh]

Thanks for the ideas!! [cheers]I will let you know which works best (I'm sure the news will tell you that I did not shoot into the neighborhood)....didn't have time to try today but just looked at it now and made me mad seeing it

I had a rookie moment at the range today and put my mini14 back in the nylon soft case too soon after shooting and found the inner lining of the case melted to my barrel when I got home. Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone had any tried and tru methods (other than going back to the range) before I go at it with the heat gun. Thanks.

If you spay clp on it when its heats up again (from firing) it will fall off or it can be pulled off before molten, if not just wipe it off with a rag once its molten.Im always melting stuff be it the firing line marker, shotgun shells on the ground, and my least favorite chamber flags.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been thinking about buying a carbon fiber 1800f welding blanket for laying hot guns/barrels on

Canned air held upside down will cool it to well below zero. Pices will be so brittle, you should be able to take it off. Wear gloves

shit man, I had the same problem with panties on hot barrel of AK. No matter how many times I tell them not to ****ing just drop them anywhere, especially on my guns ... women [rolleyes] Good luck. This being AR situation and probably men's boxers, not panties, I don't
know, vodka would still help, lots of vodka and lots of scrubbing.

Thanks for the ideas!! [cheers]I will let you know which works best (I'm sure the news will tell you that I did not shoot into the neighborhood)....didn't have time to try today but just looked at it now and made me mad seeing it

Be glad he didn't put a round through your bag...

I had a rookie moment at the range today and put my mini14 back in the nylon soft case too soon after shooting and found the inner lining of the case melted to my barrel when I got home. Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone had any tried and tru methods (other than going back to the range) before I go at it with the heat gun. Thanks.

Awesome that you resurrected a thread that's more than 6.5 years old instead of starting a new one. I think some members here will be especially glad you did that.

As for me, I'm sending rep points for your search skills... this thread was perfect for your question!

Awesome that you resurrected a thread that's more than 6.5 years old instead of starting a new one. I think some members here will be especially glad you did that.

As for me, I'm sending rep points for your search skills... this thread was perfect for your question!

I almost missed it in the search. But was happy to see I'm not the only guy who has ever done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost missed it in the search. But was happy to see I'm not the only guy who has ever done this.

And at least you had the sack to fess up. In the OP's version it was "his friend" who did it. Yeah right.

And at least you had the sack to fess up. In the OP's version it was "his friend" who did it. Yeah right.

It looks like the OP's last activity on NES was 4+ years ago, so we'll probably never get an answer from him/her, but maybe someone who knows that person can tell us something about it.

Also, props to "briz" because even though he lives in Boston, he still got out somewhere and shot enough to heat up a rifle's barrel until it melted shit!

Should I give him more rep points for that, and "fessing up" that he was at fault for putting it down in the wrong place? Yes, I think so.

Also, props to "briz" because even though he lives in Boston, he still got out somewhere and shot enough to heat up a rifle's barrel until it melted shit!

That's an awesome way of putting it. [rofl]

I think he should get points for having his own coin struck with his name and picture on it, nice mohawk. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom