fa10 question on inheriting handguns from out of state

if someone inherits a massachusetts non compliant hand gun from out of state, how do you fill out tha paper form fa10. there are no instructions on how to do this.it wouldnt be the seller, due to inheriting it ?would not want to go through a ffl, would loose it due to being non compliant. any ideas >????[rolleyes]

local pd has no info on this questien. called a few days ago , and was told he didnt know and he would find out, butt can not get a hold of him and has not returned any of my messages. why does things in this state need to be so hard ?

If it is in fact an inheritance (bequest or intestate succession), no FFL is needed.

Check off "Registration" and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.

The FA-10 must be submitted within 7 days of the firearm entering MA.

+1 to Kevlar, he is correct on not needing a FFL if it is a true inheritance, and filing a FA-10 within 7 days of it arriving in MA.

The only thing I will add is the magazine issue if it is a handgun.

You can't bring the "post ban" magazines into the state.

This really gets to suck if it is a gun that has no 10 round magazines available for it, or no "pre ban" magazines.

+1 to Kevlar, he is correct on not needing a FFL if it is a true inheritance, and filing a FA-10 within 7 days of it arriving in MA.

What if it isn't done within 7 days?

Suppose there is the following situation (and, no, this isn't me): an elderly couple live in MA. The husband has an FID or LTC (unclear which one) and a shotgun. The husband passes away ~15 years ago. The wife keeps the shotgun, but likely had neither an FID or LTC. About 1 year ago, the wife passes away. A daughter inherits the gun when the wife passed away. The daughter has an LTC, but failed to complete an FA-10.

What now? My thought is that, even though it is late, the daughter should complete an FA-10, leave the seller blank, and check "register". Your thoughts?

There is also a sticky on inheritance and this question has been asked at least 1 or 2 times in the past week. Answers are as noted above and don't change. There is a LOT more detail in the sticky thread, I recommend reading it . . .
before you ask the next question . . . "how do I get it here?" [wink]

There is also a sticky on inheritance and this question has been asked at least 1 or 2 times in the past week. Answers are as noted above and don't change. There is a LOT more detail in the sticky thread, I recommend reading it . . .
before you ask the next question . . . "how do I get it here?" [wink]
Which, near as I can tell, was on about the 12th page...

The sticky thread about inheritance would be useful if the first post covered most questions, but it doesn't. The first couple posts contain long quotes of statutes, and what follows are many condolence posts. Actually finding information is rather hard.

So telling someone to read this sticky thread really isn't very helpful at all: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/5804-MA-Gun-Laws-(Fed-amp-MA)-and-Inheritance

Last edited:
a "sticky" is a term used when a moderator or other person with higher powers marks a thread so that it is always at the top of a forum or sub section.

I think your question has been accurately answered here, but you can look here

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/5804-MA-Gun-Laws-(Fed-amp-MA)-and-Inheritance

and here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/81-Massachusetts-Laws

As for how you get it to here from there, you can bring it with you on an airplane if you follow the law to the letter.

You can ship it to yourself using UPS following their guide lines, you can NOT mail a handgun.

You can put it locked and unloaded in the trunk of your car and only stop in "free states" to sleep.
Don't even think about stopping in NJ or NY

Last edited:
Which, near as I can tell, was on about the 12th page...

The sticky thread about inheritance would be useful if the first post covered most questions, but it doesn't. The first couple posts contain long quotes of statutes, and what follows are many condolence posts. Actually finding information is rather hard.

So telling someone to read this sticky thread really isn't very helpful at all: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/5804-MA-Gun-Laws-(Fed-amp-MA)-and-Inheritance

Well that thread is only 4 pages for me. It takes the user to setup each forum to their liking . . . I don't like waiting for pages to load so my default is 40 posts/page for all forums that I'm on. Your point is taken. Mods here do not arbitrarily delete posts to make a thread shorter, people mess up threads all the time with posts that keep making the thread longer than it needs to be and "de-rail" is the word of the day for most threads. This type of software makes it very difficult to "micro manage" info to keep only concise answers in a thread, so it is just not done.

But reading thru that thread will likely give the OP the info he needs to completely cover the bases on getting the guns he inherited safely home and registered.

thanks for all the help. i have my ltc class A for 8 years and always bought my guns from a dealer in n.h.. used a ffl to get them .only did the trip to n.h. because its only two towns away.getting my fathers gun is a big deal to me. its not realy nice or worth alot, but it has been in the family for years and i would like to pass it down to my son when its my time to go.only question now is, i havent seen the will and i was told that it was to go to me. i havent talked much about it with my stepmother. its a hard thing to talk about.she is still having a hard time dealing with his death.im not sure what to ask her !!

Back
Top Bottom