• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FA10 for Consignment?

Hombiez

NES Member
I'm preparing to put a few firearms up for sale through consignment. I've seen some conflicting information about whether a FA-10 is needed when using a FFL in this capacity. If a FA-10 is indeed required for this transaction, should it be filed when the firearm is given to the FFL or when the sale to the ultimate buyer is made?

When you bring a firearm into an FFL, it goes into their bound book transferred from you to them and becomes their inventory. If in Ma., when they sell it, they do the transfer paperwork with the buyer which is 4473 (federal) and the FA10 (state). When sold, it is transferred from them to the buyer. There is nothing else you need to do other than get paid from the shop.
Just check with the shop to see what their consignment CUT is. Some are low, some are high.

I've bought many a consignment gun, every one has been thru the FFL, not via a FA-10. You are better off going green and selling them here tho, consignment is going to take a big chuck of the $$.
I couldn’t disagree more if it’s something that a good FFL is willing to consign. You’ll get a higher selling price on consignment vs here and you’ll be saved the aggravation of dealing with problem buyers and the occasional blow off on a meet-up.

I've bought many a consignment gun, every one has been thru the FFL, not via a FA-10. You are better off going green and selling them here tho, consignment is going to take a big chuck of the $$.
Not necessarily, some shops I have dealt with charge a flat fee, other shops charge a percentage of the sale price and others a percentage up to a pre determined dollar amount. I have never begrudged an FFL for their fees, they are doing the work and your gun gets better exposure at a good shop, yes better than even NES. Now if your selling to an FFL yea, your gonna lose half the value of the gun easily, you may fare better if your doing a trade sometimes but not much, at least in IME

Last edited:
When you bring a firearm into an FFL, it goes into their bound book transferred from you to them and becomes their inventory. If in Ma., when they sell it, they do the transfer paperwork with the buyer which is 4473 (federal) and the FA10 (state). When sold, it is transferred from them to the buyer. There is nothing else you need to do other than get paid from the shop.
Just check with the shop to see what their consignment CUT is. Some are low, some are high.
When its transferred to the shops bound book are you supposed to get any other paperwork besides their consignment receipt to keep in your records showing you transferred it to the FFL?

Last edited:
I'm preparing to put a few firearms up for sale through consignment. I've seen some conflicting information about whether a FA-10 is needed when using a FFL in this capacity. If a FA-10 is indeed required for this transaction, should it be filed when the firearm is given to the FFL or when the sale to the ultimate buyer is made?
If you're using a dealer for this purpose then it quite literally isn't your problem.... now there are some pant shitters that basically think you should file an fa 10 every time you dump a gun to a dealer but I think that's retarded.... it's not like it's going to remove the gun from your name or anything. Just get a receipt with the dealer name and gun serials on it, done.

When its transferred to the shops bound book are you supposed to get any other paperwork besides their consignment receipt to keep in your records showing you transferred it to the FFL?
Nothing else is needed besides a receipt, you're no longer in possession of the guns. The guns become the FFL's inventory when they log them in from you. All transactions from that point forward of said guns are between the FFL and the buyer.

The only other piece of paper i got was the check after it sold. The reciept you get when you give to dealer should be all you need. When it went in their book it became their property, and they sold it, not you. You dont even need to know who bought it...

The only other piece of paper i got was the check after it sold. The reciept you get when you give to dealer should be all you need. When it went in their book it became their property, and they sold it, not you. You dont even need to know who bought it...
The check is the most important piece of paper to me! Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom