FA10 for AR15 lower transfer in MA?

I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but I want to make sure. Can I sell my built AR15 lower face-to-face to a MA resident (with the proper license) with an FA10 form?

I grabbed the form from my local PD, but all the text on there was related to a pistol or rifle. I assume I just fill the info I have (manufacturer, serial number, description...).

Thanks,
Bob

In strictly technical terms, no FA 10 is needed for a lower, just for a complete firearm. What would you put down for a caliber and barrel length since those are dependent upon the non-existent upper half? If it was never a rifle, you could just use a bill of sale (Always a good idea anyway) and verify the buyers license to CYA.

Once they mate the lower with an upper and have a device "capable of firing a shot" an FA-10 needs to be filed within 7 days.

I have about a dozen FA-10 forms in my possession currently. I simply walk into my local PD and ask them for 5 or 6 and they hand them to me. I always keep at lease one in my range bag and one in the glove compartment of my car along with an un-signed copy of my 03-FFL. When opportunity knocks, I want to be ready to open the door. [wink]

Last edited:
all the cop shops around me have a letter posted that there will be no more paper fa10's and to use the efa10, signed at the bottom by a Mr. jason guida

all the cop shops around me have a letter posted that there will be no more paper fa10's and to use the efa10, signed at the bottom by a Mr. jason guida

Well, that makes me happy about two things.
1. I've got a bunch.
2. My PD still seems to have them.

That makes sense I guess that the final rifle would have to be registered.

Is sending a stripped lower to a dealer to initially receive it a federal law then? I guess that is my point of confusion. I could not order a lower on-line and have it sent directly to my house. As usual, I'm confused in MA.

Fed vs MA law. The lower receiver is the "regulated" part and has the S/N. (Need to fill out a 4473 when received from an FFL) In MA we need to "record transfers" of FIREARMS. Until it is "capable of firing a shot" it does not need an FA-10.

Like I tell people all the time, "It's just the law, it doesn't need to make sense." [hmmm]

Fed vs MA law. The lower receiver is the "regulated" part and has the S/N. (Need to fill out a 4473 when received from an FFL) In MA we need to "record transfers" of FIREARMS. Until it is "capable of firing a shot" it does not need an FA-10.

Like I tell people all the time, "It's just the law, it doesn't need to make sense." [hmmm]

+1- he knows of what he speaks.

Related Question...

Rather than start a new thread. I figured I'd ask in this one.

Scenario: Joe Blow has an AR rifle, in MA, that has been FA10'd. Joe sells upper to a buyer. No FA10 needed for the upper, it's just parts. Now Joe wants to sell the remaining lower to another buyer licensed in MA. What has to be done to comply with both Federal and MA law?

My understanding is that in MA the owner of a "virgin" lower can sell it with just a bill of sale to a licensed individual, but what if the lower has once been part of a rifle? Does it regain its "virginity" once it is separated from the upper? [wink]

Rather than start a new thread. I figured I'd ask in this one.

Scenario: Joe Blow has an AR rifle, in MA, that has been FA10'd. Joe sells upper to a buyer. No FA10 needed for the upper, it's just parts. Now Joe wants to sell the remaining lower to another buyer licensed in MA. What has to be done to comply with both Federal and MA law?

My understanding is that in MA the owner of a "virgin" lower can sell it with just a bill of sale to a licensed individual, but what if the lower has once been part of a rifle? Does it regain its "virginity" once it is separated from the upper? [wink]

See this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/build-yourself/176838-when-register-your-ar15-3.html

I would imagine the seller would want to file an fa-10 to document that they disposed of the weapon. Since that lower has a serial number which exists in the FRB, the person on the FA-10 is associated with that lower until they dispose of it.
You never know, that lower may end up being used in some illegal way and you dont want the cops knocking on your door asking where your rifle is that you registered with the state previously.

If you don't FA-10 the lower then the paper trail ends at you. If you sell it out of state the paper trail ends at you. I wouldn't lose any sleep over either.

If you don't FA-10 the lower then the paper trail ends at you. If you sell it out of state the paper trail ends at you. I wouldn't lose any sleep over either.

Maybe it's just the tinfoil being on too tight but if a paper trail ends with me I still want the item in my possession. Should the item in question turn up, say, at the scene of a homicide I would want the paper trail to continue right on past my doorstep.

That said, if I sell out of state and an FA-10 is not required, I will retain, as a minimum, a bill of sale to cover my own ass with the buyer's name and the FFL I sent it to. Likewise if I have a receiver that has never been FA-10'd going to a MA buyer. If I have a receiver that has EVER been FA-10'd in my name, sorry, that ship has sailed and whoever gets it is getting an FA-10 as well.

If I previously registered it, and now selling just the lower, Im filing an FA-10. Im paranoid.

If the question is about the buyer, then no I file the FA-10 once I assemble it.

A simple bill of sale would solve the issue for most.

Maybe it's just the tinfoil being on too tight but if a paper trail ends with me I still want the item in my possession. Should the item in question turn up, say, at the scene of a homicide I would want the paper trail to continue right on past my doorstep.

That said, if I sell out of state and an FA-10 is not required, I will retain, as a minimum, a bill of sale to cover my own ass with the buyer's name and the FFL I sent it to. Likewise if I have a receiver that has never been FA-10'd going to a MA buyer. If I have a receiver that has EVER been FA-10'd in my name, sorry, that ship has sailed and whoever gets it is getting an FA-10 as well.

A simple bill of sale would solve the issue for most.

Exactly. Anything I can do to lawfully simplify a transfer as much as possible I will do. That means no FA10s for non-functional sales. As a CYA I always do a bill of sale with both sigs and the firearm's serial number. I'd also get a photo of the person's LTC just as a simple CYA.

Also, while I chafe at governmental interverence, I still have my own set of ethics. A person with a LCT means they meet some minimum criteria. Which I need to satisfy my own sense of right and wrong. There are other criteria I use. But a LTC is a good start.

Don

While not illegal to sell without fa-10. I would do what Don recommends as a CYA. Basic common sense applies here to protect yourself legally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom