FA-10s for C&Rs

Having recently gotten my C&R, I have been reading everything I can on the subject, including the many thread here. I have also met and spoken with a number of C&R license holders about how they do what they do and how they do it.

What would the advice be in the situation of a C&R holder who had not been aware of the need for an FA-10 so had consequently never filed any on C&R purchases?

Talk with an attorney!

I do think we covered this in a much earlier thread.

This is the kind of legal advice that nobody but a lawyer should venture to give out, since failure to file them timely is a crime and punishable by jail time (and loss of all firearms rights forever) on second offense (each gun can be charged as a separate offense).

You're not the only one who's had that experience. I'd have to say at least 1 out of 5 C&R license holders I've talked to in Massachusetts don't think an FA-10 is required. I've heard the same thing from at least two different 01 FFL's (dealers).

They need to start reading the forum!!!!

What happens if the C&R gun in question was damaged beyond the point of being a working firearm? Do you still register it within the 7 day period? Or do you hold on to the damaged receiver in case someone knocks on the door?

-Kurt

Even "cut-aways" that can't fire ammo MUST be registered with 4473s (on dealer transfer) and FA-10s. NO EXCEPTIONS regardless of "condition".

Even "cut-aways" that can't fire ammo MUST be registered with 4473s (on dealer transfer) and FA-10s. NO EXCEPTIONS regardless of "condition".

Unless "cut-aways" are now, somehow, capable of discharging a projectile OR being readily made capable of doing so, they don't constitute a firearm under MASS law. As with bare frames, there is no need to file an FA-10 unless and until they are completed to the point of achieving that capability.

Back
Top Bottom