• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FA-10 Question

Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find any threads that address this question. I have never done a FTF transfer before. I am transfering a rifle and am unsure what to put in the manufacturer box. It is a romanian made AK-47 that doesn't have any manufacturer info on it. Can I leave that area blank?

Thanks.

Do you have the original FA-10 from when the rifle came into your possession? Might be easy to copy it if you can dig it up, if it exists. Otherwise, maybe bring it to a shop and ask them what they think? (or let them do the transfer to save the hassle)

Failing to find a prior FA-10 and with the info given, my recommendation is just put down "Romanian" as Mfr. Pretty sure that is what I have done on some C&Rs.

It's an honest answer and Nobody will take issue with it (other than on NES) and he can't get into trouble for it, based on info provided.

Thanks for the advice Guys.

I brought it to my local shop and the owner confirmed that it was in fact a Romanian based off the marks stamped on the reciever. He was able to find the original paperwork for the gun and I copied the importer info off of that.

Thanks for the advice Guys.

I brought it to my local shop and the owner confirmed that it was in fact a Romanian based off the marks stamped on the reciever. He was able to find the original paperwork for the gun and I copied the importer info off of that.
Well done.

Instead of starting a new thread about FA10 forms;

When doing a transfer with someone at an FFL dealer, are the FA10 forms carbon copy? Or does the shop input the information into a computer and print out the FA10 for "your" records?

I know doing a FTF with someone, the FA10 is a carbon copy type, correct? Multiple copies for different locations? How many copies are in the FA10 form?

When doing a transfer with someone at an FFL dealer, are the FA10 forms carbon copy? Or does the shop input the information into a computer and print out the FA10 for "your" records?

The majority of dealers now use the electronic FA-10 filing that is part of the MIRCS software (as required by 803 CMR 10.00), but occasionally you'll run across a dealer who is still doing it with paper for whatever reason. Last I knew, Dick's was still doing all their stuff on paper. Anyway, with the electronic filing, there's no carbon copy form, just a printed copy for your records.

ASHDUMP said:
I know doing a FTF with someone, the FA10 is a carbon copy type, correct? Multiple copies for different locations? How many copies are in the FA10 form?

There are three copies on the paper FA-10 forms. CHSB copy, seller copy, and buyer copy.

The majority of dealers now use the electronic FA-10 filing that is part of the MIRCS software (as required by 803 CMR 10.00), but occasionally you'll run across a dealer who is still doing it with paper for whatever reason. Last I knew, Dick's was still doing all their stuff on paper. Anyway, with the electronic filing, there's no carbon copy form, just a printed copy for your records.

There are three copies on the paper FA-10 forms. CHSB copy, seller copy, and buyer copy.

Thank you for the answer to my questions.

One last question about transfers and FA-10 forms.

When going to an FFL dealer to do a transfer with someone else; does the actual dealer, on paper, at some point have ownership of the firearm?

In other words, does the transfer go from; Seller (original owner), FFL (interim owner (technically)), buyer (new owner).?

When going to an FFL dealer to do a transfer with someone else; does the actual dealer, on paper, at some point have ownership of the firearm?

Yes. The gun gets transferred from the seller to the FFL, and logged into the FFL's bound book. The gun is then transferred from the FFL to the buyer, and logged out of the FFL's bound book.

Back
Top Bottom