• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FA-10 Question

Noob question. I'm getting ready to sell my grandfather's old revolvers via FTF with an FA-10 form. These were owned by my grandfather who lived in PA and he acquired them at least 80 years ago. They are both post 1900. After he passed away, my Dad acquired them and kept them in storage. Then when he passed away, they remained in my storage until recently. And now I've decided to sell them. To my knowledge they've never been registered in MA.

My question is, can I just go ahead and sell them or do I need to first file my own ownership with the state somehow?

If they're legally yours you can FA-10 them to whoever you want as long as the person is appropriately licensed. You, the seller, is the person obligated to send in the form to CHSB.

Whether they were registered or not is not relevant, as the system doesn't care about that.

-Mike

I came across this while searching for an answer to a related topic. I have a family member who had their LTC revoked a number of years ago. He still has a small number of firearms in his possession (I'm assuming they weren't registered or would have been turn-in requested). Fast forward to now and that relative will soon be moving out of their current home into assisted living. Could those weapons be transfered via FA-10 to myself (LTC-A)? I ask because I wasn't sure whether the 'seller' had to have their LTC/FID (there is a clear spot for this on an FA-10 form).

As long as I am appropriately licensed can I file the form and register the firearms? Almost if the weapons fell out of the sky? Should we throw the relatives name on there and fill it out sans the FID/LTC number and sign away? I'm confident he was the original owner and nothing wishy washy went on. I think there is a 4-a-year limit on seller/FA-10 what if he has 5 or 6 firearms? Should we stagger the process?

Thanks for the look.

The safe way to do it (being that the actual owner is still alive) is to take the owner and the guns to an FFL, and have them transferred to you that way.

-Mike

I came across this while searching for an answer to a related topic. I have a family member who had their LTC revoked a number of years ago. He still has a small number of firearms in his possession (I'm assuming they weren't registered or would have been turn-in requested). Fast forward to now and that relative will soon be moving out of their current home into assisted living. Could those weapons be transfered via FA-10 to myself (LTC-A)? I ask because I wasn't sure whether the 'seller' had to have their LTC/FID (there is a clear spot for this on an FA-10 form)
No. Since he doesn't have an LTC, they can't be transferred on an FA-10. The transfer will need to go through an FFL. You'll need to take him and the guns to an FFL and have them do the transfer. Since you'll be going through an FFL, there will be no problem with the limit on sales.

Last edited:
Great thank you. Now the challenge to get him to an FFL...he's not real mobile.

Appreciate the info!

When you talk to the FFL you might want to explain the situation to them. They might be able to make the process a little easier for both of you.

-Mike

Was the LTC revoked or expired? The difference seems minor, but for the purposes of this discussion it's game changing. If he still has guns, expiration seems more likely than revocation to me.

Sorry was out of town for a day. Thanks Mike on the tip. @GSG The relative had a break in at his home and a loaded & unlocked handgun was stolen. When the incident was reported they revoked his LTC on the spot from what I've been told. It made sense to me that this would be what would happen so I never questioned it. As far as how he still has firearms (and wasn't asked to turn them in or just didn't) I can only guess that maybe 25-30 years ago when he probably purchased them registration wasn't quite as official? I'm not familiar with how things operated 'back then' but that's about the time frame I think the firearms were purchased.

Thanks for thoughts and info. If I can get some clarification I'll definitely share. As you can probably imagine the firearms subject is a sensitive one wrapped up in the even more sensitive subject of having to leave one's home due to failing health.

When the incident was reported they revoked his LTC on the spot from what I've been told.

If it was revoked, an FFL is the only legal way to go.

I can only guess that maybe 25-30 years ago when he probably purchased them registration wasn't quite as official?

From what I understand (I'm not that old), the records from way back in the day have been poorly maintained.

From what I understand (I'm not that old), the records from way back in the day have been poorly maintained.

Dealer transfers were computerized by BATFE for CHSB back to 1986.

ALL "blue card" FTF transfers were destroyed, so only FTF transfers from 10/21/1998 onward are computerized and maintained.

Those are the key dates for MA gun ownership records.

And if you ship to FFL in another state (or even give/sell it to a MA FFL), there is NO FA-10 filed and the gun ALWAYS stays on record (with MA) as belonging to you. If FFL sells to a MA resident it will show as belonging to both of you . . . but if he sells to someone in another state (ships to another FFL), the MA "trail" of FA-10s ends with you.

Back
Top Bottom