FA-10 for Signal Cannon?

namedpipes

NES Member
OK, never mind what they are, exactly, unless someone happens to know?

These two signal cannon were almost certainly manufactured during the 20th century. They just don't seem all that old.

Since there are no markings I can find, other then the OFGW and 63 mentioned below, I have no way to determine manufacturer, etc. or even if these are original pre-1900, post 1899 reproductions or post 1899 original. I can guess that they were made before 1968 from the lack of serial numbers, unless the Roman numerals LXIII are a serial number on the brass one.

I have no idea whether to register these or not, or what to put down for identifying information if I do. The only person that could answer this is the person I'm inheriting them from and I can't ask him. His wife "thought" he had to get a special license from the town, but I think that was just the noise issue (call before firing type of thing). They are... noisy... would be the best way to describe them.

So, generally, these are two signal cannon, not meant for projectiles. The baby is lathed from a steel billet and about 7 1/2" x 0.75" bore. The brass one is cast brass, about 11 1/2" x 2.0" bore. Could be 20 years old (not younger). Could be 120 years old. They 'fire' black powder and wad - no projectile.

Any help appreciated.

Does anyone recognize a manufacturer of either of these?

The one that looks like a beer stein is marked "OFGW" and "LXIII" on the bottom. I suppose a maker and maybe part of the date?

100_1518.jpg

brassones.jpg

No, as I said before, no FA-10 would be needed for a cannon because they do not come under the definition of a rifle, shotgun, or firearm. Cannons are covered under 527 CMR 22.00 and they do require a certificate of competency to fire, as well as a supervised firing permit from the local fire chief for every occasion you wish to fire it.

No, as I said before, no FA-10 would be needed for a cannon because they do not come under the definition of a rifle, shotgun, or firearm. Cannons are covered under 527 CMR 22.00 and they do require a certificate of competency to fire, as well as a supervised firing permit from the local fire chief for every occasion you wish to fire it.

That explains perfectly the various things she has said. Thanks.

Followup - can you (or anyone) recommend a source for a class to prep for the certificate (it looks like an exam is required?) or simply ask the fire chief in town?

Followup - can you (or anyone) recommend a source for a class to prep for the certificate (it looks like an exam is required?) or simply ask the fire chief in town?

I don't know the answer to that question, but when you find out let me know. I've been thinking it would be interesting to get certified.

Ach. I told you my head was swimming, right? My undertsanding must not have been clear when you answered the question the FIRST time. The extra info on the cert clicked it all in place. Pretty sure.

Thanks again, and I'll post back with the course info when I find it.

Its just a matter of time before they apply that to firearms...

Back
Top Bottom