Fa-10 a pre 7/20 lower?

i know it's been discussed on here before, but I'm not sure how to search for the info I'm looking for.

I have a lower that was purchased before the 7/20 healey reinterpretation of the law. It was intended to be built in the future as funds allowed.

It has not been registered as of yet. I have not built it as of yet. I am interested in now doing so. Has anyone else had this situation? Have you done an fa-10 on said lower? Is this lower now a paperweight that I can do nothing with?

I am not moving to a free state.
I do not wish to sell it.
Thanks for any info.

A lower isn't a firearm under MA law. Why would you register something that isn't a firearm, rifle, or shotgun under MGL?

Protip: it has to fire a projectile before it enters that class. I would never FA-10 something that doesn't exist.

In other words- I'd wait till you built it out.

-Mike

These are ambiguous but you'll never get prosecuted for it. This is the one spot you can sit and say "Healey made law" and have it apply without argument. If Healey prosecuted you it tugs at a big web that would rather not be unraveled.

So with that said, follow the written law.

A lower isn't a firearm under MA law. Why would you register something that isn't a firearm, rifle, or shotgun under MGL?

Protip: it has to fire a projectile before it enters that class. I would never FA-10 something that doesn't exist.

In other words- I'd wait till you built it out.

-Mike
No. I would wait until complete. I just don't want to spend the money and/or time if I can't legally do it.

Do long as you build it without any evil features (see the actual Mass awb for a list) it will be incapable of coming to life and wantonly killing people.

As drix commented, follow the written law (not Maura's rewrite) and file when ready.

Interesting I missed this, is there a way to get a duplicate 4473 for years ago If the copy was destroyed some how?
Good question. I imagine the only way would be to ask the FFL for a copy but based on my experience with that I wish you good luck.

Interesting I missed this, is there a way to get a duplicate 4473 for years ago If the copy was destroyed some how?
Duplicate of what 4473? you never had a 4473. That document is held by the dealer for 20 years and turned over to the ATF if the dealer goes out of business. I would never turn over a 4473 or copy of one to a customer. They fill part of it out, but it is not meant for the customer.

The dealer can generate a copy of the FA10 they did, but they should never have done one on a lower/receiver. You could ask for a duplicate sales receipt.

Duplicate of what 4473? you never had a 4473. That document is held by the dealer for 20 years and turned over to the ATF if the dealer goes out of business. I would never turn over a 4473 or copy of one to a customer. They fill part of it out, but it is not meant for the customer.

The dealer can generate a copy of the FA10 they did, but they should never have done one on a lower/receiver. You could ask for a duplicate sales receipt.
Got it, thanks. I’ll just go by the letter of the law then

What would be the harm in turning over a copy? Just curious.

Even better, if you bought it as an 80%, there isn't even a 4473 for it. And who keeps sales receipts that long?

In my opinion, a pre 7/20 lower that was never built and FA-10’d is the best scenario.

You’re fully legal, since it was in state prior to her mandate. So you can build it if you want.

Plus since it wasn’t FA-10’d it shouldn’t be on any potential MA lists that she my try to use in the future.

In my opinion, a pre 7/20 lower that was never built and FA-10’d is the best scenario.

You’re fully legal, since it was in state prior to her mandate. So you can build it if you want.

Plus since it wasn’t FA-10’d it shouldn’t be on any potential MA lists that she my try to use in the future.
I was thinking in terms of selling it..... for the right number I’d dump all my ARs, mags and ammo, buy another M1A and bide my time till I can leave this god forsaken commiewealth.

I’m with you, my lowers are all “incapable of firing a shot” ;) so I guess my procrastination on finishing and FA-10ing them payed off in one way

You're suggesting that people break the law, not cool. I don't know how the state would prove that you a) never filed an FA10, given how messed up that whole system is and how poorly it keeps records, b) didn't finish it within the last week, but it's still against the law to knowingly not file the form.

You're suggesting that people break the law, not cool. I don't know how the state would prove that you a) never filed an FA10, given how messed up that whole system is and how poorly it keeps records, b) didn't finish it within the last week, but it's still against the law to knowingly not file the form.

I am not suggesting anyone break the law. I simply stated a pre 7/20 lower that WAS NEVER BUILT and is not capable of firing and was never FA10’d is the best scenario.

It gives you options.

It’s not registered as a MA firearms... so you can simply keep it as is for the future.

You can build it an FA10, if you want.

So, please stop accusing me of suggesting people break the law.

Good question. I imagine the only way would be to ask the FFL for a copy but based on my experience with that I wish you good luck.

So in case you ever get prosecuted for this how will it play out?
Would you have to prove ownership prior to the ban or would Maura have to prove ownership after the ban. Especially a lower that the only proof of purchase would be a receipt (no registration).

HAVEN’T YOU GUYS BEEN PAYING ATTENTION????

If you follow ‘the law/guidance/faq’ all you did was give them an updated location on what they are already coming for. Mass disobedience and non-compliance is what this situation demands.

So in case you ever get prosecuted for this how will it play out?
Would you have to prove ownership prior to the ban or would Maura have to prove ownership after the ban. Especially a lower that the only proof of purchase would be a receipt (no registration).

An 80% of course would never have even had a serial.

A complete stripped lower would have had, but since it isn't legally a firearm there's no duty to have FA10'd it when you acquired it. You have the receipt, you surrender it to your lawyer, you've provided the proof that it was acquired when you said it was. Now if you lied and gave them the "wrong" receipt, nothing stops the state from getting the 4473 (except the law of course). Still, they'd get it one way or another and the serial would match the physical lower or it wouldn't. So case closed (or not).

On the other matter, Luv was outlining law, not inciting sedition.

HAVEN’T YOU GUYS BEEN PAYING ATTENTION????

If you follow ‘the law/guidance/faq’ all you did was give them an updated location on what they are already coming for. Mass disobedience and non-compliance is what this situation demands.

Give it up! The people of this state are not ready for your heresy. The overwhelming compliance with the Bump Stock ban is clear proof of this. I'm certain that the 10's of thousands of bump stocks in this state were all destroyed by their owners (except for the three people that clearly did not have the required facilities to destroy the stocks themselves).

An 80% of course would never have even had a serial.

A complete stripped lower would have had, but since it isn't legally a firearm there's no duty to have FA10'd it when you acquired it. You have the receipt, you surrender it to your lawyer, you've provided the proof that it was acquired when you said it was. Now if you lied and gave them the "wrong" receipt, nothing stops the state from getting the 4473 (except the law of course). Still, they'd get it one way or another and the serial would match the physical lower or it wouldn't. So case closed (or not).

On the other matter, Luv was outlining law, not inciting sedition.

So how do you prove ownership of an 80% lower that NOW is a complete firearm but you don’t have the receipt for it.

A complete stripped lower would have had, but since it isn't legally a firearm there's no duty to have FA10'd it when you acquired it. You have the receipt, you surrender it to your lawyer, you've provided the proof that it was acquired when you said it was.
People kept receipts for cash purchases of perfectly legal items before 07.20.2016? I sure didn't; go get the 4473, Maura.

Back
Top Bottom