• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

f-class competition

one: seasons over. wont start up again til may

two: any more info? do you have an f-class rifle? are you planning on F-TR or F-Open? caliber? rest or bipod? f-class only? or gonna shoot mid range prone too? got a budget? (f-class gets pricey real quick)

wouldnt even be a little bit competitive in f-open

.308, bipod, you're already set to shoot F-TR. that rifle will still (very likely) not be competitive....although remington barrels have surprised me before. you really should check out a match before you buy any more gear though. (or at least come talk to the guys that shoot it regularly)

if you wanna do some shooting like you did in the corps, why not try out nra/cmp style across-the-course shooting? same basic course of fire that you woulda done in basic (shooting standing/sitting/prone, 200, 300 and 600 yards), iron sights, with slings.

jasons will chime in soon

if you wanna do some shooting like you did in the corps, why not try out nra/cmp style across-the-course shooting? same basic course of fire that you woulda done in basic (shooting standing/sitting/prone, 200, 300 and 600 yards), iron sights, with slings.

This.
F-Class is for old women.

Indeed.

This.
F-Class is for old women.

This. At least ~try~ service rifle first. Or even match rifle. F-class is an equipment race. Skill-less and soul-less.

(I'm being a little bit facetious. F-TR is actually pretty fun to shoot every once in a while. Like once a year after the real season is over. [grin])

Last edited:
well i am older and cant see well any more so yes f - class is the way for me now ... eye sight gone too many injuries and surgeries

There's always match rifle if your eyes are getting bad.

What a bunch of ball busters. I'll disagree with my buddies. The gun is just fine as is for F-TR and you will have a great time shooting it.

Be prepared to upgrade your gear if you want to be competitive.

Watch for Mid Range Prone matches at:

Reading, MA; Nashua, NH; Scarborough, ME; Hampden, ME and Colonie, NY.

B

Just show up and make yourself friendly. The old women that Pat mentioned will come by to hump your leg at the first match.

Feel free to ask questions, I don't think anyone here will steer you wrong.

B

if you're willing to make the drive up to Reading (probably the closest 600yd range to CT), Id be willing to bet that any of the guys would be willing to give you all the help you'd need.

important questions:

do you know what kind of barrel is on your rifle? (or is it stock? my 700 PSS is a laser inside of 300yds, but I could never get it to group well enough @ 600yards to be competitive)
have you upgraded the trigger? (biggest difference on my 700 was the addition of a Jewel trigger. i no longer pull the trigger. i THINK about pulling the trigger)
is your scope repeatable? (does it pass the box test?). how much elevation does it have? (you'll never turn the windage knobs in this area of the country to need anything crazy)
is your stock bedded? barrel free floated? Jasons nailed it...f-class can definitely be an equipment race, and you dont want your rifle holding you back in any sense
do you reload? (you're gonna have to...especially if you're running a stock barrel. you're gonna have to tune your ammo to work with your barrel)
i'd look into other bipods. the harris' are okay, I love my Atlas...but 99% of the guys shooting f-class are shooting a sled-style bipod (like the Sinclair bipod)

As long as you come into in with the attitude that you are there to learn and have fun, you will be fine. Try not to compare our scores to others, as it will be a humbling experience. Gauge your performance against yourself. Don't get discouraged, just keep showing up. Upgrade as your disposable income allows.

I'd start with reloading.

B

Hmm, I don't see any Hornady 210s on their website. I see 195s, 208s and 225s.

At this point, I'd say go with something that won't thump the crap out of you. That gun is pretty light, 155s shoot good and they recoil softly. Out of a 20 inch barrel they should be fine for 600. They cost less too.

B

If your Remington is like mine, it will love 168's and tolerate 175's to a lesser extent. I would definitely try the 155's like B said.

"F-Class is for old women", "Death before F-Class", "If it was easy, they'd call it F-Class", etc..
I'm always looking for new ones.

And I'm just kidding, by the way.

Some of the F-Open guys have front rests that cost more than my entire rifle.

I like F-class. Our club does a 200 yrd F-class match once or twice a month. It's pretty laid back - though some take it more seriously than others of course.

I do it more for the trigger time than to really be competitive. I try to do my best and improve my score with each match, but I really don't have the time, energy or money to be as passionate about it as some people are. I just use a heavy barrel AR-15 with a BSA scope on an inexpensive front rest, and I have just as good a time as anyone else.

So to the OP I'd say use you Remington for 3 or 5 matches and see how it goes. Don't get frustrated if at first you don't get a good score - you will learn and improve as you go along, and if you really get into it then you can consider improving your gear.

if you're willing to make the drive up to Reading (probably the closest 600yd range to CT), Id be willing to bet that any of the guys would be willing to give you all the help you'd need.

important questions:

do you know what kind of barrel is on your rifle? (or is it stock? my 700 PSS is a laser inside of 300yds, but I could never get it to group well enough @ 600yards to be competitive)
have you upgraded the trigger? (biggest difference on my 700 was the addition of a Jewel trigger. i no longer pull the trigger. i THINK about pulling the trigger)
is your scope repeatable? (does it pass the box test?). how much elevation does it have? (you'll never turn the windage knobs in this area of the country to need anything crazy)
is your stock bedded? barrel free floated? Jasons nailed it...f-class can definitely be an equipment race, and you dont want your rifle holding you back in any sense
do you reload? (you're gonna have to...especially if you're running a stock barrel. you're gonna have to tune your ammo to work with your barrel)
i'd look into other bipods. the harris' are okay, I love my Atlas...but 99% of the guys shooting f-class are shooting a sled-style bipod (like the Sinclair bipod)
Jeff
You're getting waaay too technical, just let the guy show up and shoot, if he's safe and has fun, then he's a winner.
Dave Dow

Back
Top Bottom