• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

F class competition and teams

XTR

I find myself living here in the Northeast now, and it seems like it's going to be permanent. (there is a woman involved) I am discovering that shooting F-TR here is not as popular here as it was in Tennessee (and lots of other places for that matter). I'd like to contribute to changing that.

If anyone out there wants to learn about and get better at F-class I'm more than willing to work with you to get you going in the sport. Once shooting gets started again up here there are lots of opportunities to shoot mid range. There are usually at least one match a month at Nashua and another at Camp Ethan Allen in VT, and there are matches in Scarborough, though for me that one is a bit of a drive because you can't get there from here.

There are also about 4 matches a summer at 1000 yards over at Forbes in Colonie, NY.

Mid Range (600 yards and in according to the NRA) is a great place to get your load tuned up and to begin to learn wind reading skills, and it's not nearly as brutal as 1000 yards in the wind reading game.

As for teams, I'd really love to get half a dozen people tuned up to go to some of the bigger matches together. I've coached a few times with some success and I've shot on some pretty good teams (I think second in the Rutland cup at the F Class Worlds in 2017 is pretty good)

If you are interested pls contact me by PM here or email me at wadefillingame at gmail dot com.

Where do you live? Too bad you can't get to Scarborough because I think they hold the most belly matches in the area, including the Regional every year.

I shoot a lot of 600 yard matches. always looking to shoot with others. mwmber at Nashua. shoot mostly f class but have shot a few prs style matches. would like to shoot albany Ottawa 1k this summer

I would love to get involved in this but have minimal experience shooting past 2-300 yards. Have a couple of good bolt action rifles with good glass with both in 308.

So whos going to the nashua shot on the weekend of April 21st and 22nd? Thete is a 3x600 on Sat and a 3-5-6 on Sunday. i will be shooting both days. its the first match of the year in New Englad I know of. the following weekend thete is a 3x600 in leene.

I'd like to know a little more about this? I've done pretty well out to 600 with iron sights, and my guess is would only be better with a scope. I have a bolt action .308 with a 6x24 optic...yes, I know .308 isn't the best for 1000 yards, but I bet I could figure out some loads to work out that far.

Do you have any links with more info on F-Class shooting?

If you shoot F-TR you only have two choices, 308 and 223, and beyond 600 yards there is no reason to shoot the 223. From 600 yards and in, with 90VLDs a 223 will run with the 308s with a good driver.

This is an informational post I put up over on Snipers Hide several yrs ago just after they opened the F-TR forum.

F class FAQ and general information

Hopefully this will answer some questions and help folks to understand the game. I’m mostly going to write about F-TR. F-Open has its own unique set of things to understand, and as a beginner, that’s probably not the place you want to be. That said, someone on another board who has been an F-Open shooter and was recently trying to shoot F-TR wrote that “we refer to people ‘moving up’ to F-Open, I’m not sure that it’s not ‘moving up’ to go from F-Open to F-TR”. Shooting a 308 to 1000 yards at a 1MOA target is certainly challenging.

First, What is F-Class?
F class is a division of NRA Highpower shooting. The rules governing F class are found in the NRA HP shooting regulations found here -> Rules… <- Reading the rules is a good place to start. They answer a lot of common questions, but I’ll hit some of the highlights later on.

“F”-Class?
The F stands for Farquartsen. “F-Class shooting was the brainchild of Canadian George Farquharson and the "F" was derived from his last name. Mr. Farquharson came up with the idea of F-Class to enable he and other older shooters to continue competing alongside "iron sight" shooters who used a sling. Basically, he replaced the iron sights with a scope and replaced the sling hold with the option of using either a front bi-pod or a rest. F-Class is shot from the prone position where the shooters lay on a mat. He convinced the Canadian NRA (DCRA) to approve his idea and F-Class was begun as an official shooting sport in Canada in the 90's. This idea caught on fire and very quickly spread to the British Commonwealth, Germany, France, Netherlands and to the United States.” – from USFclass.com

F Class evolved from the original idea to take a Palma rifle, put on a bipod and a scope and shoot.
In F Class shooting today there are two (2) classes, F-Open and F-TR. F-Open is pretty much unlimited racing, you can shoot any rifle you want up to 35 caliber, you can use a mechanical front rest, a rear bag, and the rifle can weigh up to 22 lbs. F-TR is one design (ok, two) racing, the only calibers allowed in F-TR are “chambers of unmodified 308Win/7.62NATO or 223Rem/5.56x45 NATO cartridge cases”. Rifles are limited to 18.18 lbs (8.25 Kilos) and anything attached to the rifle is included in the weight including the scope and bipod.

Most F class shooting is done at long range. The National championships are shot at long range. F class uses a reduced size HP target, each ring on the target is ~1MOA (IPHY)larger than the next, so the X-Ring is 5”, the 10-Ring is 10”, the 9-Ring is 20”, the 8-Ring is 30”… The aiming black is the same size as a long range HP target.

Now for some of the rules. First understand that F-TR is F-Target Rifle not F-Tactical Rifle. Common misconception, I even heard it announced that way at Camp Perry in 2012. F-TR is shooting round targets on rectangular fields; there is nothing remotely tactical about it. If you recall that the class was started by putting scopes and bipods on Palma rifles then it should make perfect sense that the specialized F-TR rifles used today look like evolved Palma Rifles with heavier barrels.

Because F class is a part of NRA HP all the HP rules apply except as modified in section 22 of the rules. There are some common surprises in the rules for guys who bring their precision rifles out to play F-Class. Without getting into the why-fore’s and reasons just be aware, they are the rules:

• No brakes
  • No suppressors
  • Single feeding required, (i.e., No feeding from mags)

Does that mean you can’t shoot if you have one or more of those, maybe, maybe not, depending on the match director? The match director may allow you to participate in the match, but if you are allowed to compete your score will not (should not) be reported to the NRA to receive a classification in Long or mid range F-Class depending on what you shot. Cans will likely be OK, they don't bother anyone. Single feeding is probably considered a safety concern and likely will be required, brakes bother the guys to both sides of you and are usually prohibited. They may let you shoot down on the end, but don't roll in with a brake and be surprised if they don't let you on the line.

That’s the history, the basic rules, and some of the things that are sometimes not understood.

Now for some of the FAQs. Most of this is based on questions surrounding shooting 1000 yard matches, because that's what most matches are, the distance at which the National Championship is competed and it's a lot harder to get a 308 to work at 1000 than at 600 or less.

What scope do I need?

Search here there have been a whole lot of posts about it, and after you read those go and search over at accurateshooter.com and you can read a hour or two. I know that there are personal tastes and budgets to consider. I’d guess that 90% of the 200+ scopes on the line at the F class Nationals are Nightforce 12-42s or NF 15-55 Comp scopes with 1/8 MOA clicks. The eighth min clicks are invaluable for getting your elevation tuned in the X ring. If your shots are grouping slightly high and you have ¼ min clicks one click and you are now grouping slightly low. You are shooting at a known target at a known distance with rings that correspond to MOA (IPHY) measurements, you need all the magnification you can afford with a reticle that you like, that is thin enough not to cover too much of the ½ MOA X-ring at max magnification. You do not need (or want) a FFP reticle, they are too thick at high mag, they increase cost and they serve no purpose on a defined target at a known distance. If you hit low and right in the 9 ring you can look at the target and see that you need to come up ¾ and left ½ and having turrets that will get you there is good. Mil turrets are going to make your life harder, and you don’t need a reticle measure anything, the target is laid out so you should know the distances. That doesn’t mean you can’t come out and shoot with anything you’ve got. I've shot with a guy that was having a blast using a 10X SWFA. Nightforce 12-42, 8-32, or the new 55x competition scopes are all popular, for less money the Sightron SIII 10-50 or 10-60 are good scopes, some folks are running March high mag (50x, 60, or even 80x) scopes. I am currently testing a new Vortex Golden Eagle. All are SFP scopes.

Is there any limit on triggers?

No, as long as you don’t get accidental discharges it can be as light as you want it (but not a release trigger).

Rear Bag and Bipod?

Rear bags and bipods are personal choices, get one you like. There are a number of bipods specialized for F-TR, they all work, it is doubtful that the bipod is going to make or break your score.

What barrel?

You can come out and shoot with anything. I’ve seen 18” barrels on the line at 1000 yards. Purpose built F-TR rifles will usually have 30” or more. In general Heavy Palma contours or heavier. If you are to the point of building a rifle get all the barrel that you can and still make weight. For twist rates, a 1:12 will stabilize up to 185gr bullets, if you plan to try to shoot heavier bullets get a 1:10.

Reloading

Reloading is one that gets a lot of people wrapped up early on. The first thing you need to do is get out and shoot. You will learn about reloading as you go and as your skill at reading wind improves your reloading should too, but it will not matter if you can build bullets that will hold .1MOA vertical if the wind is pushing you 8 ring to 8 ring, and it will in the beginning. You will not get any wind reading practice at the bench. You need a bullet that will stay super sonic all the way to 1000 yards. Make a load that will shoot ½ MOA vertical and go shoot

Understand that there is no 308 load being shot at this time that will hold the 10-ring on a center hold in a 1MPH full value letoff. Before you get into all the myriad number of things to make perfect bullets get yourself a good FL die, a good seating die (Forster or Redding), and a Lee Collet die, a set of calipers and a Hornady OAL tool and start making bullets. … Think about that, 1MPH.

Spotting scopes,

yes, you need one, and you can spend a kings ransom on some of them. Like a lot of things all you can afford, but starting out affording a high end spotter can be hard so justify when you are already spending thousands on a rifle and a scope. Once you get one you would be well served to talk to some sling shooters about reading mirage. Flags seldom tell the whole story. It is a hugely useful tool and one that the spotter in the 8 ring will remind you that you forgot to use time and time again. Seeing a letoff or a shift and watching the guys on both sides of you miss it is a good feeling, much better than watching their targets come up with yours and taking the consolation prize that it caught them too.

Bullets – the trend is to heavier, though there are a lot of people running 185 Bergers at the time I write this. About the only thing that is a concrete is DO NOT USE 168 SIERRA MATCH KINGS. They have a design that becomes unstable when they go transonic and they go all over the place. The BC is too low for you to get them to 1000 supersonic with a 308, so they are going all over the place, literally I have seen them hit sideways, or hit randomly all over the 72x72 target frame. For factory stuff I’ve seen guys shoot 600 yards with quality factory ammo, so it would be OK for a starting trip to a 600 yard match; they would probably get you to 1000 too I’ve just never seen it.

F-Class is one of the fastest growing competitive shooting sports, and possibly the fastest growing class NRA shooting sports.

Good arricle with good info except all the references to 1k. we only have one tange in the NE that offers 1k fclass and i bet leas rhan 1% of all ne shooters have ever shot it.

So, who is shooting Nashua in April?

Last year we tried to pull together a long distance class for interested NESers, but it fell apart as we couldn't find a range we could do it at. Would any of you be interested in leading a small class on this? If so I'd definitely be interested in attending.

Sorry but not intrested at all. i cosch 2 base ball teams, a basketball team, train a hunting pup and have two teenage boys plus the wife and my own business. when I have free time its used for shooting.

Nashua is having a service rifle clinic last sat in april i believe. 50 bucks includes 1 on 1, rifle abd ammo. if anyone is intrested this is a good place to start.

I wrote that 6 yrs ago. We've only had an F class mid range national championship for about 4 yrs now. I came here from Oak Ridge, TN. I usually shot two long range weekends a month. My NRA competitor activity shows that I averaged about 11 long range matches a yr before I moved here. Yea, I'm in withdrawals.

The Mississippi valley has a booming mid-range scene. From Palo Alto in LA up to one I've never shot in MN there are lots of 600 yard matches and lots of participation. Guys travel to all of them. Here in New England we can pretty much shoot mid range ever month starting next month between Nashua, Keene, Scarborough, and Camp Ethan Allen. Those that are willing to travel into or live in MA can add some matches there too. (I take a pass there)

At the national/international level the real interest in competition is long range. From here we can shoot at Connaught in Ottawa. It's about 6 hours from me in Lebanon. The will be having several matches that are worth the trip up. I shot the Canadian East Regional, the Canadian Nationals, and the F Class worlds there last yr. This yr the East Regional is up in New Brunswick. I'm currently planing to go. There is also an ongoing competition between New England and the Canadians in New Brunswick called the Mini- Palma. Last yr (40th yr) the match was in New Brunswick. Half of the team score is F-TR. I coached the New England F class shooters this yr. We need to pick up some more points there to win. This yr the match will be held in New England. We will need shooters. I'd love to see enough rifles on the line to need a tryout.

Long range:
Forbes in Colonie, NY has 4 long range matches a yr. I haven't shot there, but i need to get over there.
Connaught in Ottawa
Reade Range in PA
Bridgeville in DE

For road trips I'm currently planning. I'm going to NC for the Sinclairs, and to Raton NM, for the FCNC this yr. If the Canadian matches aren't conflicting with work or one of the above I'll be going up to shoot those.

Last edited:
@XTR

My son and I are planning to go to ny this summer. we will go out and spend the night sunday then practice on Monday. Then we will shoot the next shoot. he has a lot of 600 yard experience but no 1k. i woukd love to shoot Canada. have family 20 min from Cannaught.

No mags, eh? Are you disqualified if you have a mag installed, but single-feed it?
Of the 2 "budget" rifles I was looking at, i opted for the one with a detachable mag, as opposed to the one that was "upgradeable". :eek:

Last year we tried to pull together a long distance class for interested NESers, but it fell apart as we couldn't find a range we could do it at. Would any of you be interested in leading a small class on this? If so I'd definitely be interested in attending.

Would be nice just to meet some fellas getting into the game. Years ago I competed in iron sight small bore, and fell out of fire arms altogether for a while. I've been thinking about getting back into it and started putting together some gear to start practicing... waiting on back-ordered rail for my scope at the moment. Can't wait to break in the barrel and get her zero'd!

Would be nice just to meet some fellas getting into the game. Years ago I competed in iron sight small bore, and fell out of fire arms altogether for a while. I've been thinking about getting back into it and started putting together some gear to start practicing... waiting on back-ordered rail for my scope at the moment. Can't wait to break in the barrel and get her zero'd!

who needs a scope to break in a barrel!?!?

that's what the berm is for :D

In any NRA slow fire class you can have a mag in the rifle but you must single feed. Guys do it every weekend with M1 Garands, M1A/M14s, AR-15/M16s, Winchester M-70s and all the R700s and clones that have magazines. There are some single feed followers that help things go more smoothly, not necessary but worthwhile if you decide you want to play the game regularly.

Back
Top Bottom