Eyeing death rates of Vietnam War Veterans

On top of all that Brother, many of us tend to have symptoms they call "early death" syndrome. The FEAR that we won't live much longer. Like being in good health at 30 but thinking you were going to die any day. It's amazing how many guys in our Battery were dead. .

Hey,... we better get together quick!!! *S* As soon as I clear up this flood in the house issue, we gotta get together.

A friend from Nam I just found this month sent me a picture of him and I in 68. We've been e mailing back and forth (I met him and then the water hit me) and we have haven't spoken on the phone yet. A lot of our e mails are about people we know were killed or died. It's amazing how many guys in our Battery were dead. I'm 62 and was one of the young ones. He said I was the first guy he found from our old unit, and that's after 40 years. I've found quite a few.

yeah, we gotta have that coffee soon.

My Sister was doing some research on Vietnam Veterans and the mortality rates. It's appalling. There is a hot spot between 58 and 65. My Dad made it to 60; Checked out on Veteran's Day Ironically enough.

On top of all that Brother, many of us tend to have symptoms they call "early death" syndrome. The FEAR that we won't live much longer. Like being in good health at 30 but thinking you were going to die any day. It's amazing how many guys in our Battery were dead. .

Hey,... we better get together quick!!! *S* As soon as I clear up this flood in the house issue, we gotta get together.

A friend from Nam I just found this month sent me a picture of him and I in 68. We've been e mailing back and forth (I met him and then the water hit me) and we have haven't spoken on the phone yet. A lot of our e mails are about people we know were killed or died. It's amazing how many guys in our Battery were dead. I'm 62 and was one of the young ones. He said I was the first guy he found from our old unit, and that's after 40 years. I've found quite a few.

yeah, we gotta have that coffee soon.

Man, sorry about the flood issue. Had that happen once years ago and it's not pretty I know. We had to move out of the house for 4 months. And of course the insurance company didn't feel like they needed to come up with all the costs.........rat bastids.

Yup, gotta do coffee. Believe it or not, most everyone I'm still in contact with in my unit has either heart problems, prostate cancer, or booze problems. It's like a black cloud.

I got ya plus 3 years and was in Vietnam in 67 & 68 where the heaviest of the Agent Orange stuff was dumped. Remember first thing in the morning checking out the aircraft only to find them glistening with smelly shit. That was in Lai Khe in III Corps. Have Non Hodgkins Lymphoma myself but continue to beat the odds. Saying that..........we'd better make it pretty quick!!!!! [laugh]

How about an NES Vietnam Vet get together?

I just realized today is the 15th of December, the day I left Fort Campbell for Vietnam in 1967.

I don't go anywhere without it being for guns or Veterans. this is a twofer! I'd be in for sure, after the holidays and we get a plan.

Back in New Mexico I had about 2 dozen Vietnam Vets buddies, and we would get together every month up in the mountains and have an old fashioned "LZ Picnic."

Iced cold beers, ribeye steaks, and a bayonet to eat the steak.[smile]

Before they got scarce, we also would scrounge a few cases of C-Rations from an Albuquerque military surplus store to share along with our memories.[smile]

No VFW or American Legion bullshit......just us Vietnam Vets and no one else.[smile]

No wives or kids were allowed!

Most of the wives didn't want to hear our stories anyway, and sometimes we vented and talked about things no one else would understand.

And sometimes we cried together, as only Brothers can......

We also had fun.....splitting up in teams and staging ambushes against each other.

The Forest Service folks would learn to leave us alone, and never hassled us about fees in the parking areas.[rofl][rofl]

I miss those LZ Picnics.......and I miss the camaraderie of my brothers [sad2]

Those Picnics were an important part of a healing process that we shared together.

It was better than the sterile environment of a VA hospital group led by a young punk psychiatrist who has never been there!

I think we should plan an "NES LS Picnic" this next year![laugh2]

Just us Vietnam Vets!....Nobody else.

I can provide the ribeye steaks...you guys can all bring beer and bayonets!

We just need to find a place to do it, and set a date.

Anybody here up for it?[smile]

Man, sorry about the flood issue. Had that happen once years ago and it's not pretty I know. We had to move out of the house for 4 months. And of course the insurance company didn't feel like they needed to come up with all the costs.........rat bastids.

Yup, gotta do coffee. Believe it or not, most everyone I'm still in contact with in my unit has either heart problems, prostate cancer, or booze problems. It's like a black cloud.

I got ya plus 3 years and was in Vietnam in 67 & 68 where the heaviest of the Agent Orange stuff was dumped. Remember first thing in the morning checking out the aircraft only to find them glistening with smelly shit. That was in Lai Khe in III Corps. Have Non Hodgkins Lymphoma myself but continue to beat the odds. Saying that..........we'd better make it pretty quick!!!!! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom