• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eye dominance

Goliathan

NES Member
I'm right-handed, and learned to shoot right handed ages ago. When I bought a bow recently, the guy there did a test and said I was right eye dominant. Bought my bow and been shooting it right handed since. All good.

Except I'm not so sure. Whenever I do those tests that you read about in the shooting rags, about making a circle at arm's length, focusing on a distant object, etc., the tests I do seem to indicate that I'm left eye dominant... cross dominant.

I'm wondering what, if anything, I should do at this late stage of my life to improve my shooting. I typically shoot right handed with the left eye closed. Maybe this makes it so it doesn't really matter, but I read time and again that you get a better sight picture if you can train yourself to shoot both eyes open. If I do that I'm going to have to adjust things, especially when it comes to long guns. I've never fired a rifle left handed. The pistol may not be that big a deal... Hickok45 is cross dominant, I think, and just lines up his shots a bit differently.

They say it's easier to train the hand than the eye. Where should I go?

I'm right-handed, and learned to shoot right handed ages ago. When I bought a bow recently, the guy there did a test and said I was right eye dominant. Bought my bow and been shooting it right handed since. All good.

Except I'm not so sure. Whenever I do those tests that you read about in the shooting rags, about making a circle at arm's length, focusing on a distant object, etc., the tests I do seem to indicate that I'm left eye dominant... cross dominant.

I'm wondering what, if anything, I should do at this late stage of my life to improve my shooting. I typically shoot right handed with the left eye closed. Maybe this makes it so it doesn't really matter, but I read time and again that you get a better sight picture if you can train yourself to shoot both eyes open. If I do that I'm going to have to adjust things, especially when it comes to long guns. I've never fired a rifle left handed. The pistol may not be that big a deal... Hickok45 is cross dominant, I think, and just lines up his shots a bit differently.

They say it's easier to train the hand than the eye. Where should I go?

The eye doctor. Like Idoktor on here.

Also, you shouldn't be shooting with one eye closed. It will reduce your peripheral vision if you're shooting at moving objects, i.e. pheasants, clay pigeons and is generally not seen as good by trainers.

I am right handed, but left eye dominant…found out in boot camp when they were dividing us up, left handed on one side, righties on the other (not really sure why). I went to the right handed crowd. When we went to the firing line, I put the rifle up to my left shoulder…the instructor yelled at me and asked why I was in the right handed side…it’s because I am right handed I told him but have shot rifles since I was a wee little guy off my left shoulder…didn’t know why…just did.

He moved me to the lefty side…

I can shoot righty but it’s way more comfortable for me to shoot lefty and I’m way more accurate shooting lefty…

On a side note (almost unrelated), the reels on my fishing rods are all set up as lefties….I didn’t know this until about 10 years ago when my brother (a righty) borrowed one of my fly rods and mentioned that it was set up for a lefty…it was news to me…it’s the way I have always done for at least 55 years.

I'm mostly a left handed guy, but do some things right handed. I'm right eye dominant.
Right handed for pistol, and do just fine. Left handed for rifle and shotgun, do OK.
Tried right handed long gun a few times, not so good. My fishing reels are lefty.
Righty for scissors, lefty for knife work.
The books I've read say go with the dominant eye, but I'm too old to force a change, I'll continue to do what works for me.
Doubt this helps, just my experience.

OP,

Will you be at the club meeting tomorrow night? See me and I can show you two tests, one of which is pretty damn definitive.

I'm right handed but left eye when shooting. As a little kid I could skid my rear tire to the right (left side down) much better than to the left. In pond hockey I shot left handed and could slide or scrape the ice left side down. Baseball or throwing anything is clearly right handed. Lefty I throw like Obama. [puke]
I write right handed. When I skied I could control much better turning left than right. In a skid with a car or truck I can control both very well but I'm more comfortable with the left side to the inside of the skid. Same with snowmobiling... Hammer the left hand turns hard, still ride well on the right handers but the comfort level is lower.

I keep meaning to ask my mother if they they broke me as a natural lefty. In the 60's I understand it was a normal thing to do.

OP,

Will you be at the club meeting tomorrow night? See me and I can show you two tests, one of which is pretty damn definitive.

I will be there for sure, and will seek you out. Thanks!

I keep meaning to ask my mother if they they broke me as a natural lefty. In the 60's I understand it was a normal thing to do.

My mother once told me that I was left handed as a toddler and that it ended or was trained out of me when I started school. I'm not exactly sure what happened but it might partially explain my absolutely atrocious handwriting.

I suppose I should spend some time trying to see if I can adjust my pistol grip to the other hand, depending on how Len's test works out for me. Handling a rifle is going to be a new thing on the off hand.

Right handed left eyed. Discovered the left eye dominance when I began to shoot rifle as a boy scout. Since them I have always shot long guns left handed, I shoot the bow lefty also. Shoot handgun right handed just sort of move it over to my left. Works great. Find out eye dominance and experiment a little, see what works best.

The schools changed my Dad from lefty to right handed. I began school in the mid 50s and in my experience (at my schools anyway) I don't recall any efforts to modify handedness. From what our parents said that was from an earlier time and very common. Again that was in the area where I grew up other areas of the country may have been behind the curve on that. My parents were both from NE. I mostly grew up in the mid Atlantic area - conversion may have held on longer up here in NE.

Last edited:
My mother once told me that I was left handed as a toddler and that it ended or was trained out of me when I started school. I'm not exactly sure what happened but it might partially explain my absolutely atrocious handwriting.

I suppose I should spend some time trying to see if I can adjust my pistol grip to the other hand, depending on how Len's test works out for me. Handling a rifle is going to be a new thing on the off hand.

It was common back then to convert. I don't know for sure if that's what happened but I tossed it out there for conversation.
My hand writing is not great but believe its more of a personal discipline issue while growing up. I refused to do a lot of things in order to conform. I know 1%'s that have as bad penmanship as I do if not worse who are very well educated so I'm leaving that out.
I've worked well with cross eye over the years. Not a perfect shot but shooting 270/80's in bulls eye on a regular basis over the test of time has me feeling OK against the nay sayers. I don't bitch about .40 recoil either!!!

IMO eye dominance should be used a tool only to determine, not convert.
I'm not a teacher or expert but I was taught that when the chips are going down you will revert to what you know best.

ETA: I remember trying to shoot righty as a little kid with my face plastered against the stock trying to look out of my left eye. (Try it!!) total failure for a single digit kid. Yes the .22 is in my safe passed down to me from my grandmother.
I double dog dare you to shoot birds and squirrels at 102 Common St in Braintree today.[smile]

Last edited:
I have to close 1 eye. I tried the eye - hand triangle test when I shot bow and initially, my hand was dead center in my face. I used both eyes. I eventually am able to either use left or right eye but it is very hard if I keep both eyes open

I have to close 1 eye. I tried the eye - hand triangle test when I shot bow and initially, my hand was dead center in my face. I used both eyes. I eventually am able to either use left or right eye but it is very hard if I keep both eyes open

A lot of shooters don't do well because of this. I'm right handed so I must shoot this way. [slap]

all my friends tried to raise their kids as lefties---wanted to strike gold if they made it to mlb as a l/h pitcher[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom