• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Explain to a new resident the ammo shipping laws in Mass

As for having a LGS actually order in the ammo you want is almost pointless. I have tried. I have even gone as far as bringing in all the info and contacts all they needed to do was set up account and give me a price. I know the vendor has dealer prices......and yet nothing

My LGS just recently ordered lead and plated ammo for fellow members at my club who are limited to lead/plated ammo at our indoor range. I have to ask what they charged for a fee to do this for them. But I'm sure it was fair especially since lead and plated ammo is pretty cheap when you buy in bulk from the only vendor I know of that sells lead/plated ammo.

Last edited:
I see what you mean but LGS could just drum up business by offering better deals, group buys and better relations vs trying to kiss up to tthe LGS for better deals.
Im guessing LGS have their select vendors they will choose from and that it. Maybe Im just wrong. I do know there are several wholesale only suppliers out there that drop ship the inventory themselves saving on shipping and hazmat. Whats funny is there is a wholesale vendor here in mass that charges a lot more for delivery than a place from NY...... My club uses a wholesale distributor for Clay targets shotgun shells and ammo for jr and in house shooting programs 4 times per year AND WE STILL NEED TO GO OUT OF STATE TO SAVE! sad and it sucks

I hear what you're saying, and you make valid points.

I've just spent enough time working with owners and management to have a general idea where their minds are. So I'm quick to take up the initiative, and very much a small business, local business type of guy.

I mean, a lot of you guys have been at this a lot longer than me, maybe I just got lucky.

As to the 4seasons comment on the last page. I've been twice, one good experience and one not so good. I'll swing by if I have nothing better to do on my way home, but not going out of my way to go there unless they are the only ones with what I want in stock, lol.

My LGS just recently ordered lead and plated ammo for fellow members at my club who are limited to lead/plated ammo at our indoor range. I have to ask what they charged for a fee to do this for them. But I'm sure it was fair especially since lead and plated ammo is pretty cheap when you buy in bulk from the only vendor I know of that sells lead/plated ammo.

Thats all they have to do, a fee for receiving a box like a transfer. There is not a lot of time involved for them to fax a copy of FFL to a vendor and have US place the order and PAY for it and have legal items shipped to a legal FFL following state and federal laws and regulations. No out of pocket expense. for them, no CC fees . Just a call when your order arrives and a agreed fee for accepting the shipment.... Heck I watched my local FFL to the transfers for my lowers today. Gave me a multi unit discount I was happy with. took all of 10 min logged in book and back ground check done.... 7$ a minute not to bad.

Does anyone have a copy of such a letter sent from the AG to a company regarding shipping ammo to MA?

Sadly no, I read some when they were available . . . unsure if they were on AG website (if so they are long gone) or elsewhere.

Is the no shipping of ammo to Mass a Martha thing or did it start with one of her predecessors?

Reilly really pushed it first, with Croakley taking up the gauntlet when it was her turn to rule the state.

When it comes to defense ammo (eg, JHPs, etc.) online prices pretty much wipe the floor with everyone else. No getting around it unless you have a badge and can get into some of the LE supply places in the region.

-Mike

Even the LE supply places are high compared to mail-order.

Did this happen before Coakley, or is it her doing?

I'm happy to take my business (and tax revenue) to NH.

See my answer above.

Likely will be a couple weeks before I get up there (and we're talking 8-10 dollars in gas for me).

For a 500 round case of the cheapo Federal 55 grain 5.56, are they better than $200?

$0.40 a round is the best I've seen it at a local shop.

I wish the only cost of operating my cars was gas. You are very lucky that you have no other expenses related to operating a vehicle other than gas money. [pot]

To be fair I wasn't speaking in terms of reloading, so my bad.

But at that kind of volume, I would imagine a local guy not working with you to come to a fair deal is their loss, particularly if it was more than just you.

EDIT: off topic, but with that many rounds, how often do you need to change your barrel? (Sorry if that is a dumb question)

Dealers just don't want to deal with reloading components. Their normal distributors don't carry them. You have to go to specialty vendors and they won't get much, if any, break over what I pay unless they order in huge volume, which they won't because they will never sell the rest of their order.

You don't understand how specialized this stuff is. The guy who buys 9mm 147 gr JHP Zero bullets isn't going to want 147 gr RN coated bullets from Ibeji. The guy who wants 124gr isn't going to buy 147 gr. The guy who shoots 9mm major through his open gun probably isn't going to want a plated bullet because he pushes it too fast. If a dealer bought 50k bullets to sell me 5k and get a better deal, he would have 45k left next year when I came back to buy more.

Also, for the past year reloading components have been so hard to find that I check my vendors Facebook page daily for updates. Even then, if I hit their website 2 hours after the update I will miss out. No dealer has the time to do that sort of thing.

No, I haven't worn out a barrel yet. High power rifle shooters do wear out barrels.

Blue Northern used to have a really good selection of powders, but I think they've been getting screwed due to shortages in the past year or two.
I asked why they didn't have bullets once, and they said they just can't compete with online for bullets. They did start carrying some Montana Gold bullets a while ago and said it was basically just so they would have everything you need to reload, but they're basically making no money on it.

Blue Northern used to have a really good selection of powders, but I think they've been getting screwed due to shortages in the past year or two.
I asked why they didn't have bullets once, and they said they just can't compete with online for bullets. They did start carrying some Montana Gold bullets a while ago and said it was basically just so they would have everything you need to reload, but they're basically making no money on it.

And even then, I'm sure that they could only stock a small subset of what Montana Gold sells. Montana Gold sells about a dozen different varieties of 9mm bullets, and that is just a single caliber. Gun shops don't have the shelf space to stock a wide variety of reloading components. And if they did, most of it would sit on the shelf and gather dust. They can't afford to have a lot of money tied up in stock that doesn't turn over.

I've been able to easily get all my pistol (Titegroup,Bullseye,Unique,231,Power Pistol,2400,H110 to name a few) and rifle powders/primers (Varget,4064,4895 etc.) between my local shops (Patriot Arms in Ipswich, Glenn's Ammo in Reading) and taking a drive up to Shooters Outpost, Riley's, and Al's. Just have to call the shops before you make the drive. I've been selling powders in the classifieds since I had too much actually. I think many people need to branch out a little further than 10 minutes of there house/range/local gun shop, the components are out there. Even a year - year and a half ago I was still able to get powder at my local shop for fair prices. Maybe I was just lucky? I don't know. I don't mind burning some gas to get the components I need to allow me to shoot more and save some money.

Can get them for just 386.99 for 1k now. I just can't tell you where to get them. Only 73 cases in stock atm, and you guys would wipe my guys out in a heartbeat. I mean, there is a little bit of inflation, so you have to expect a slight price increase. Raw materials are up.
$3XX shipped, always in stock

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a crew of whiners around here that whine about them having to show LTC at SO. If you find the policy annoying then you can go to Rileys or Collectible, prices will be in the same ballpark... some days one will have better deals than the other, etc.

-Mike

Mike,

There are times when one should be a tad more careful about what they say... and this is one of them. For you.

I am one of the people that had multiple issues with SO, going above and beyond having to show a DL to buy ammo (SO also denied me a sale after being shown a paper NH DL because "it was only a few days old and they were not sure I really moved to NH" - as if).

I respect Jim McLoud's right to set whatever policies he wants for his private business... but I will not give him any of my money as long as he gets a boner by acting as a wannabe ATF agent.

It is a legitimate issue, since inventing laws and regulations that do not exist to justify his rules then zealously enforcing them makes it harder for people to exercise their rights and thus is a threat to our freedoms. Yes, at this time there are easily accessible alternatives... but one has to stamp this brush fire while it is small, not after half of the gun stores in NH get bullied to follow "the industry leader".

I would appreciate if you would inform yourself and think about this a bit more before calling me and other people whiners - attempting to trivialize this matter by inappropriate name-calling only makes YOU look bad.

Mike,

There are times when one should be a tad more careful about what they say... and this is one of them. For you.

I am one of the people that had multiple issues with SO, going above and beyond having to show a DL to buy ammo (SO also denied me a sale after being shown a paper NH DL because "it was only a few days old and they were not sure I really moved to NH" - as if).

Well, sucks for them, I'm sure you went somewhere else and, without drama/BS, bought whatever it was you needed, their loss. They wouldn't sell me a VFG once because I was from MA, BFD, no skin off my back- I just bought it somewhere else. (it wasn't as if I drove all the way up there to buy just that, either. )

I respect Jim McLoud's right to set whatever policies he wants for his private business... but I will not give him any of my money as long as he gets a boner by acting as a wannabe ATF agent.

That's great, and you're within your rights as a consumer to spend your money however you please.

It is a legitimate issue, since inventing laws and regulations that do not exist to justify his rules then zealously enforcing them makes it harder for people to exercise their rights and thus is a threat to our freedoms. Yes, at this time there are easily accessible alternatives... but one has to stamp this brush fire while it is small, not after half of the gun stores in NH get bullied to follow "the industry leader".

Brush fire? You mean Walmart, Dicks, and 2? gun shops in NH? [laugh] There's no evidence of this "slippery slope scenario" you speak of happening, and Walmart + Dicks have been doing it in NH for what, over a decade? [rofl] This has mostly been constrained to the realm of "weirdo store/chain specific policies" and not anything a government agency is pushing on someone. If those policies piss you off then it is a good idea to shop elsewhere. (Everyone seems to have a different threshold with these sorts of issues).

I would appreciate if you would inform yourself and think about this a bit more before calling me and other people whiners - attempting to trivialize this matter by inappropriate name-calling only makes YOU look bad.

I'm as informed as I need to be- a store has policies, which some people don't like, then they complain about it on the internet because the owner/company/whatever didn't change the policy or didn't make an exception. It's still whining in my book. You guys act like these businesses have a flock of birds sitting around on a rail that shit all over you every time you walk through the door. [laugh] A business operating how they please is a threat to your freedom? I'm not buying it, SO and others are not a monopoly. You're always free to buy elsewhere, vote with your dollars. You know what- it is trivial. You can shop somewhere else. It's that easy. To me it's just more of the same whining heard around here about FS, SO, KTP, BPS, Rileys, and probably most of the other shops of any significance in the region. "It's too hot, its too cold, the store is too clean, the store is too dirty, the sales person wouldn't wipe my ass, some gun shop gave me a shitty lowball trade in offer, etc etc... its too crowded, they're too expensive, dicks was cheaper by $10, I feel ripped off, someone carded me, the guy at riley's was grumpy, some guy hid the .22 ammo, they wouldn't tell me if they had .22 LR over the phone, they ration ammo, dats gay, they don't ration ammo, that's gay, I don't like the deli ticket counter at FS, wah wah wah " I've literally heard it all at this point. That's why the market is as big as it is, and that's why I dropped more than one suggestion, so people can make their own decision on where they want to shop. I even mentioned the carding thing in my post so they could decide for themselves, ahead of time, if that was an issue for them or not. That's whats great about capitalism, if you don't like SO, you don't have to shop there, and even in NH there are at least 2 other alternatives with competitive pricing, and if you live in the state, you can easily get mail order of (whatever) and probably still get competitive pricing. This also doesn't include a few FFLs here and there who might be willing to work a deal with you depending on the level of relationship you have with them.

-Mike

Last edited:
Well, sucks for them, I'm sure you went somewhere else and, without drama/BS, bought whatever it was you needed, their loss. They wouldn't sell me a VFG once because I was from MA, BFD, no skin off my back- I just bought it somewhere else. (it wasn't as if I drove all the way up there to buy just that, either. )

That's great, and you're within your rights as a consumer to spend your money however you please.

Brush fire? You mean Walmart, Dicks, and 2? gun shops in NH? [laugh] There's no evidence of this "slippery slope scenario" you speak of happening, and Walmart + Dicks have been doing it in NH for what, over a decade? [rofl] This has mostly been constrained to the realm of "weirdo store/chain specific policies" and not anything a government agency is pushing on someone. If those policies piss you off then it is a good idea to shop elsewhere. (Everyone seems to have a different threshold with these sorts of issues).

I'm as informed as I need to be- a store has policies, which some people don't like, then they complain about it on the internet because the owner/company/whatever didn't change the policy or didn't make an exception. It's still whining in my book. You guys act like these businesses have a flock of birds that shit all over you every time you walk through the door. [laugh] A business operating how they please is a threat to your freedom? I'm not buying it, SO and others are not a monopoly. You're always free to buy elsewhere, vote with your dollars. You know what- it is trivial. You can shop somewhere else. It's that easy. To me it's just more of the same whining heard around here about FS, SO, KTP, BPS, Rileys, and probably most of the other shops of any significance in the region. "It's too hot, its too cold, the store is too clean, the store is too dirty, the sales person wouldn't wipe my ass, some gun shop gave me a shitty lowball trade in offer, etc etc... its too crowded, they're too expensive, dicks was cheaper by $10, I feel ripped off, someone carded me, the guy at riley's was grumpy, some guy hid the .22 ammo, they wouldn't tell me if they had .22 LR over the phone, they ration ammo, dats gay, they don't ration ammo, that's gay, I don't like the deli ticket counter at FS, wah wah wah " I've literally heard it all at this point. That's why the market is as big as it is, and that's why I dropped more than one suggestion, so people can make their own decision on where they want to shop. I even mentioned the carding thing in my post so they could decide for themselves, ahead of time, if that was an issue for them or not. That's whats great about capitalism, if you don't like SO, you don't have to shop there, and even in NH there are at least 2 other alternatives with competitive pricing, and if you live in the state, you can easily get mail order of (whatever) and probably still get competitive pricing. This also doesn't include a few FFLs here and there who might be willing to work a deal with you depending on the level of relationship you have with them.

-Mike

Mike,

I have no intention of hijacking this thread to go through the many holes in your argument above (some of them bolded - I only have so much time). I will just say that yes, businesses operating how they please can be a threat to our freedom, and examples of that abound. And your attempts to mix my serious concerns with trivial whining are plainly dishonest, since this is not what I was talking about.

You repeatedly attempted to make your point by misrepresenting mine, so there is no value in pursuing this discussion further.

if local companies had cases of the ammo i need for online prices i'd support them in a heartbeat, unfortunately they don't.....

They are very happy to apply MA premium on top of the online price. Tw them and ag are win-win situation. To us, it's is a losing game.

Last edited:
Mike,

I have no intention of hijacking this thread to go through the many holes in your argument above (some of them bolded - I only have so much time). I will just say that yes, businesses operating how they please can be a threat to our freedom, and examples of that abound. And your attempts to mix my serious concerns with trivial whining are plainly dishonest, since this is not what I was talking about.

You repeatedly attempted to make your point by misrepresenting mine, so there is no value in pursuing this discussion further.

...and all I was trying to do was help some guy not get raped when he went to buy ammo. I don't really care whether someone buys it from Rileys, SO, or wherever. You obviously have a beef with SO, so don't buy stuff there. If your beef is so death-star monumental that everyone else should know about it, maybe you should hash it out in the gun shop reviews section, if you haven't already. It sounds like there is WAY more to it than whatever you are letting on here.

-Mike

Last edited:
OP, spend $30 and get yourself a C&R license. I just got confirmation tonight from a company who's long been thought to only ship to MA FFLs but apparently ships to C&R holders. This is the second company I know of that ships to C&R holders. No I will not post the name here. You can do some research like I did to figure it out. Good luck.

I think all the crying about SO Just makes me want to spend more there. I spend $ at Jim's every other week and to me he has always been an awesome dude. Sorry Jim I called you a Dude. His wife helped myself and my bud trying to figure out which 1911 we wanted and after 15 min "JUST" looking I made up my mind. I'm a Mass rez but she helped out a lot and her knowledge on them was great. Anyone want to load up my truck and head there sunday I'm down.

Last edited:
I think all the crying about SO Just makes me want to spend more there. I spend $ at Jim's every other week and to me he has always been an awesome dude. Sorry Jim I called you a Dude. His wife helped myself and my bud trying to figure out which 1911 we wanted and after 15 min "JUST" looking I made up my mind. I'm a Mass rez but she helped out a lot and her knowledge on them was great. Anyone want to load up my truck and head there sunday I'm down.

Yeah seriously. I've spent so much money on reloading components there in the last few weeks it's insane. Actually snuck up there yesterday afternoon when I was still on the clock [laugh]

Reading these posts I just keep shaking my head its evident you guys don't appreciate a handsome woman when you see one. You think its easy to look like a broomstick in human clothes wearing a wig that hasn't seen the sun since the 80's? Do you think it was pleasant as a handsome young girl at school dances eagerly waiting for a dreamy boy to come ask you to dance but instead the janitor just flipped you upside down and started sweeping the gym?

Also you are a bit off about the "threatening" letters. She simply sends these companies a nice 8x10 of her in her best pants suit with a nice note that says if you don't stop shipping to Mass the next one will be in my birthday suit. Do YOU what that sh*t sent to you? You can't un see somethings.

For shame NESers, for shame.

Maybe Maura shouldn't be given the chance to [grin]

Not enough time to challenge it in court before shes sworn in. We should just hope she's educated by our friends at GOAL. Maybe that will make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean our "stupid slutbag whore EX AG", don't you? [smile]

It doesn't matter, because when Healy replaces her, she'll do exactly the same thing. Harshbarger, Reilly, Coakely, and Healy might as well be clones of each other.

-Mike

It doesn't matter, because when Healy replaces her, she'll do exactly the same thing. Harshbarger, Reilly, Coakely, and Healy might as well be clones of each other.

-Mike
The funny thing is they all treated the AG's office similarly, as if it were a guaranteed path to higher office...

Does not learn good.

Back
Top Bottom