• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Explain to a new resident the ammo shipping laws in Mass

There are a crew of whiners around here that whine about them having to show LTC at SO. If you find the policy annoying then you can go to Rileys or Collectible, prices will be in the same ballpark... some days one will have better deals than the other, etc.

-Mike

If they were rude AND asked for ID that would bother me, but they're very friendly (and ask for ID).

I just tried to place an order at my go to source last week. Got the message for the 1st time that they are ​unable to ship to MA. [frown]

Yikes I hope it's not the one I'm thinking of. I haven't purchased from them in quite a while since I've been reloading and buying bulk x39 at Collectible Arms.

Not to be a jerk, but suck it up and support your local gun shop man.

I'd love to but it's been so long since any have had what I'm looking for with any regularity, and I refuse to go to the one that does and continues to gouge. Sorry, when you start repricing boxes of ammo that was $27 a box one day to $42(and can't even be bothered to line up the price tag) the next and charge a $100 for a brick of .22lr I sincerely hope to drive by one day and see a going out of business sale so I can stop to point and laugh.

It also depends on what part of the state you live in. I live on the Cape, and pretty much everything is overpriced here. Dan at the Outdoor Shop has had the most reasonably priced ammo in my experience. I do buy from him because he's like the nicest gun shop owner you'll ever meet but I still buy bulk when I can find people who'll ship to MA.

i drove down there from NB to buy a glock from him because he didn't have 'em at the overly retarded prices everyone else was charging after SH...

Has Comm2A considered legal action against the AG? It seems like they'd have a strong case, and could do some real good for the residents that want ammo.

Has Comm2A considered legal action against the AG? It seems like they'd have a strong case, and could do some real good for the residents that want ammo.

I would think they would need someone who got the letter to be on the lawsuit, and probably most don't want to deal with it and there isn't a huge upside for them. (Its not like they will then get to have all of MA business, all the competitors will get the upside to.)

Yeah... I've seen the invoices lol... It's a brutal business to be in. (Retail in general is tough, often times, especially in the beginning all your profits are tied up in inventory. Then every Tom, Dick and Harry wants a free Tee shirt and two boxes of ammo, along with a 10% reduction of price when they buy an M&P.)

Similar things happen with alcohol, you'd think in a state owned by the Kennedys would at least be a bit easier on the ol' booze.

So someone decides to start a business that has very small margins and is most likely an extension of the owners hobby, the consumer should pay higher prices so the owner can fund his hobby ?

Why do you hate capitalism ?

Ill tell you what though..Ill sell you all the .308 you want for $1.00 a round, or 5.56 for $.75 a round.

Last edited:
So someone decides to start a business that has very small margins and is most likely an extension of the owners hobby, the consumer should pay higher prices so the owner can fund his hobby ?

Why do you hate capitalism ?

Ill tell you what though..Ill sell you all the .308 you want for $1.00 a round, or 5.56 for $.75 a round.
I'm not sure if you're serious here our not.

The vast majority of businesses have tight margins, particularly when you are a mom n pop competing with the likes of Wal-Mart size businesses.

Whether or not the owner is "extending his hobby" is irrelevant. Either the business succeeds or it fails, and if the owner charges the prices you indicated, which is far above both market and what I would pay given I can go to a different small shop a mile down the street, it will likely fail.

I'm at a total loss as to how anything I've said anywhere in this thread could possibly be construed as me disliking private ownership of capital.

... if having it shipped to an out of state relative or friend, vendors won't process the order if the address on the credit card is in MA.
That is not correct. And while I speak from experience, I will not confirm which vendor(s) if you ask, much like don't ask who will ship to MA.

In the not too distant past SO was selling Fed AE 223 for $340/1K.

-Mike

Can get them for just 386.99 for 1k now. I just can't tell you where to get them. Only 73 cases in stock atm, and you guys would wipe my guys out in a heartbeat. I mean, there is a little bit of inflation, so you have to expect a slight price increase. Raw materials are up.

Reloading components being restricted is also completely ridiculous. I tried just for the sake of trying to order some Berrys bullets in a large combined online order and everything went to shopping cart except the bullets - Unable to ship to Ma.

That is not correct. And while I speak from experience, I will not confirm which vendor(s) if you ask, much like don't ask who will ship to MA.

I haven't found this to be true. YMMV

Some here have experienced that problem, which is how I became aware of it and posted about it.

In some cases... it could have been a vendor problem. In others, it may have been a CC security issue.

Either way... the solution was to add a second billing address.

In hindsight... I should have posted some vendors won't process the order if the
address on the credit card is in MA.

Guy, there are also market places on other sites where private individuals sell ammo. Akfiles, Falfiles. They don't have a problem shipping to you. Sometimes you can find good deals.

For example the below guy is selling 700 rounds for Federal .223 for $250+ shipping. IIRC my local WalMart wants about .44 per round of .223. Ammo deals can be found in the market places on here and other sites.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378239

Last edited:

If you're looking to save a couple cents a round after shipping, why not go to the guy down the street and see if he can match their price for you in that kind of bulk?

1) Most local gun stores don't carry reloading components. Those that do carry only a very small selection.

2) For those of us who compete, it isn't a small amount of money. I reload for about a third the cost of factory ammo. I shoot about 5k rounds of 9mm a year.

3) I don't just reload to save money. Reloading let's me tailor the ammo to my gun. I get significantly better accuracy and less recoil, while still meeting power factor.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of it at that price, should I assume that it's gone up?

I have no idea, I haven't bothered to look in awhile, I was only looking at the time because a friend of mine has a couple of hungry ARs. Course by the time I get another one, it'll be over $400 because of some stupid reason (election panic, whatever). [laugh]

-Mike

So I charge more than the going rate for ammo, and in your words I would fail..

Your LGS charges more than the going rate and I should as you said"suck it up and support that shop",correct ?

No. My point is much more nuanced than that.

Look at it like this. I pay a couple cents more a round with my local guy, go in to shoot the breeze and finger his inventory. I develop a relationship with him. He knows I can go to dicks and get a box of shells for a dollar less, but his store is a mile away from my house and we like each other.

So I go in one day and say: "Hey, I can get a box of 556 for $190 down the street, can you match it?"

He's small and can't afford yet to carry cases of 556, but can do math and knows even at $190 can make 3%. So he says yes, and orders my single case. What else does he do? Saves me boxes of 22 when they come in so I don't have to rush, texts me when stuff I like comes in, and now we even do business together beyond me buying stuff.

I'm talking about supporting your local commerce and building relationships. To me, that's worth a couple bucks. YMMV

Look at it like this. I pay a couple cents more a round with my local guy, go in to shoot the breeze and finger his inventory. I develop a relationship with him. He knows I can go to dicks and get a box of shells for a dollar less, but his store is a mile away from my house and we like each other.

So I go in one day and say: "Hey, I can get a box of 556 for $190 down the street, can you match it?"

He's small and can't afford yet to carry cases of 556, but can do math and knows even at $190 can make 3%. So he says yes, and orders my single case. What else does he do? Saves me boxes of 22 when they come in so I don't have to rush, texts me when stuff I like comes in, and now we even do business together beyond me buying stuff.

I'm talking about supporting your local commerce and building relationships. To me, that's worth a couple bucks. YMMV

You can get a case of 5.56 for $190.00? Can I have the name of your local FFL? You mean 420 rounds on strippers right?

1) Most local gun stores don't carry reloading components. Those that do carry only a very small selection.

2) For those of us who compete, it isn't a small amount of money. I reload for about a third the cost of factory ammo. I shoot about 5k rounds of 9mm a year.

3) I don't just reload to save money. Reloading let's me tailor the ammo to my gun. I get significantly better accuracy and less recoil, while still meeting power factor.

To be fair I wasn't speaking in terms of reloading, so my bad.

But at that kind of volume, I would imagine a local guy not working with you to come to a fair deal is their loss, particularly if it was more than just you.

EDIT: off topic, but with that many rounds, how often do you need to change your barrel? (Sorry if that is a dumb question)

- - - Updated - - -

You can get a case of 5.56 for $190.00? Can I have the name of your local FFL? You mean 420 rounds on strippers right?

200 & 210 are the best I've seen, and in NH. I just used $190 to factor in MA sales tax.

And no, 500 rounds, 55 grain

Last edited:

If you're looking to save a couple cents a round after shipping, why not go to the guy down the street and see if he can match their price for you in that kind of bulk?

I've recently starting doing some accounting work for a LGS... Margins aren't really as hot as you'd think, and this is a small shop, so it's even worse than you are thinking now. I'm sure the Four Seasons of the world are doing okay, but I don't even buy ammo at big box stores anymore. (I refuse to give Dicks a single penny after I was informed of the ban on "Modern Sporting Rifles".)

As many have posted MA LGS have always been higher priced for ammo. My Dad made the treck up to NH 2 times a year to stock up on ammo 25+ years ago. For what ever reason most shops do not have case volumes to sell. Be it lack of capital to buy by the case or limits set by local FD Chief on their ammo storage permits.

As for having a LGS actually order in the ammo you want is almost pointless. I have tried. I have even gone as far as bringing in all the info and contacts all they needed to do was set up account and give me a price. I know the vendor has dealer prices......and yet nothing.

I started reloading and buying more on line as I was tired of driving around to 8 shops trying to get 500 to a 1000 rounds for a few different cals. Was not even about price.....

Savings are pretty good even with shipping....
I recently did a mini group buy on primers. CCI large rifle and wolf 50,000 primers was 53$ shipped with hazmat bringing the total cost to 26.57 per 1000 so 1328.50 vs 1859.37
Cheapest I have seen any primers in local gun shop is 35/1000 with a limits still. Im not buying whole sale either? OK so yes its hard for LGS to keep ammo in stock.
I will just go to those who have what I want for the price I like.

Last edited:
To be fair I wasn't speaking in terms of reloading, so my bad.

But at that kind of volume, I would imagine a local guy not working with you to come to a fair deal is their loss, particularly if it was more than just you.

- - - Updated - - -

200 & 210 are the best I've seen, and in NH. I just used $190 to factor in MA sales tax.

And no, 500 rounds, 55 grain

So at 3% margin his dealer cost is $184.30 for 500 rounds? Or $368.60 for 1,000 rounds? Your numbers sound off? At least that dealer cost sounds high. Quick Google search show 1,000 round cases for $355.00 retail. He screwing you?

Last edited:
So at 3% margin his dealer cost is $184.30 for 500 rounds? Or $380.00 for 1,000 rounds? Your numbers sound off?

Real life conversation:

"Hey, I can get this 556 for $200 a box, can you match that after tax?"
"ahhh... let me look... yeah I can do that."

Whether his margin is 3% or 70% I won't know until I look at the invoice.

EDIT: I also pay in CC, so factor in a 3% taken off the top line too.

I see what you mean but LGS could just drum up business by offering better deals, group buys and better relations vs trying to kiss up to tthe LGS for better deals.
Im guessing LGS have their select vendors they will choose from and that it. Maybe Im just wrong. I do know there are several wholesale only suppliers out there that drop ship the inventory themselves saving on shipping and hazmat. Whats funny is there is a wholesale vendor here in mass that charges a lot more for delivery than a place from NY...... My club uses a wholesale distributor for Clay targets shotgun shells and ammo for jr and in house shooting programs 4 times per year AND WE STILL NEED TO GO OUT OF STATE TO SAVE! sad and it sucks

Real life conversation:

"Hey, I can get this 556 for $200 a box, can you match that after tax?"
"ahhh... let me look... yeah I can do that."

Whether his margin is 3% or 70% I won't know until I look at the invoice.

EDIT: I also pay in CC, so factor in a 3% taken off the top line too.

My math was wrong. I corrected it should be $368.60 a case. I edited my post.

Regardless you don't know his gross margins, so you don't know if he is screwing you or not. Right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom