• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Explain to a new resident the ammo shipping laws in Mass

Just looking for a specific loading that I'm having a difficult time finding at my LGS

You could try a WTB ad or post in this thread what type/caliber of ammo you're looking for and others might know of some shops that have it?

There is no law, just Marsha threatening to sue if they do, because she thinks there is. Apparently, in her deranged world of logic, companies who sell ammo must be licensed in MA to sell ammo, if they want to sell ammo in MA. Of course, MA isn't issuing out-of-state licenses to anyone to sell ammo in MA. Just another kind service presented to the subject of the commonwealth by idiotic one-party nanny .gov.

Did this happen before Coakley, or is it her doing?

I'm happy to take my business (and tax revenue) to NH.

Did this happen before Coakley, or is it her doing?

This has been happening since the Tom Reilly days at least, but Coakley has been keeping the tradition of ****ing the consumer alive, by carrying on his policy. Each one of the AGs we've had has been a clone/understudy of the previous AG, so expect the new AG (Healy?) to be exactly as terrible as Coakley, Riley, and Harshbarger before them.

-Mike

Let's put it this way. FS is the only cheap LGS in the state and they are considered expensive by those of us who shop for ammo at the best possible price. Take a trip up to Rileys or Shooters Outpost and you will see what "true market floor" bulk pricing of ammo looks like. Or go to a Walmart and look at the price of their centerfire handgun ammunition, just for starters.

-Mike

Likely will be a couple weeks before I get up there (and we're talking 8-10 dollars in gas for me).

For a 500 round case of the cheapo Federal 55 grain 5.56, are they better than $200?

$0.40 a round is the best I've seen it at a local shop.

Not to be a jerk, but suck it up and support your local gun shop man.

If you're looking to save a couple cents a round after shipping, why not go to the guy down the street and see if he can match their price for you in that kind of bulk?

I've recently starting doing some accounting work for a LGS... Margins aren't really as hot as you'd think, and this is a small shop, so it's even worse than you are thinking now. I'm sure the Four Seasons of the world are doing okay, but I don't even buy ammo at big box stores anymore. (I refuse to give Dicks a single penny after I was informed of the ban on "Modern Sporting Rifles".)

I'd do this if not for the sales tax - don't like to reward the state for screwing us. I doubt Mass stores make much profit off ammo either.

Let's put it this way. FS is the only cheap LGS in the state and they are considered expensive by those of us who shop for ammo at the best possible price. Take a trip up to Rileys , Shooters Outpost. or Collectible and you will see what "true market floor" bulk pricing of ammo looks like. Or go to a Walmart and look at the price of their centerfire handgun ammunition, just for starters.

Online vendors sometimes even beat this local market floor by $10-25 per case, depending on what "it" is. Of course at that point it's not worth going through the shipping bullshit just to get ammunition, its easier to just go pick it up.

When it comes to defense ammo (eg, JHPs, etc.) online prices pretty much wipe the floor with everyone else. No getting around it unless you have a badge and can get into some of the LE supply places in the region.

-Mike

+1
Shipping ammo is not cheap so you would have to buy outrageous amounts of ammo to really save.

Carpool with friends up north in a fuel efficient car. It'll probably still be cheaper than shipping.

I used to make many trips for small purchases to my local LGS or Dicks. I've found it easier to save my money up, buy it all at once in one trip to a cheaper state and not have to buy ammo for a while.

I have not done much research on defense ammo prices and cannot comment on that nor do I go through defense ammo as it is extremely expensive.

Let's put it this way. FS is the only cheap LGS in the state and they are considered expensive by those of us who shop for ammo at the best possible price. Take a trip up to Rileys , Shooters Outpost. or Collectible and you will see what "true market floor" bulk pricing of ammo looks like. Or go to a Walmart and look at the price of their centerfire handgun ammunition, just for starters.

I've been going to those 3 in NH, and the cheapest Mass store I've found if probably Collector's Gallery in Stoneham/Woburn. For ex., 50 rounds of 9mm Blazer Brass is $14 in NH and $15 at Collector's. Other stuff is similar, like a dollar or two more than Shooters, they have a very nice selection too.

I find them cheaper than FS for ammo.

Northeast Arms has pretty good ammo prices too for such a small store.

- - - Updated - - -

Better margin than on the firearms from what I've seen, particularly given everyone haggles down the price or wants something free thrown in.

I never do that. Maybe I should. :) Some of the LGS ammo prices are sky high, I'm sure those aren't profitable cause nobody buys it.

This has been happening since the Tom Reilly days at least, but Coakley has been keeping the tradition of ****ing the consumer alive, by carrying on his policy. Each one of the AGs we've had has been a clone/understudy of the previous AG, so expect the new AG (Healy?) to be exactly as terrible as Coakley, Riley, and Harshbarger before them.

-Mike

Thanks. That makes me think it's the core of the AG's office rather than the leader? I don't expect things to improve in Mass.

except that the transaction occurs out of state, but then again, MA thinks they are entitled to stake out people' activities and purchases in NH on a regular basis, too...

I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing the Interstate Commerce Clause was supposed to protect us from (rather than the BS it is used to inflict upon us).

- - - Updated - - -

I never do that. Maybe I should. :) Some of the LGS ammo prices are sky high, I'm sure those aren't profitable cause nobody buys it.

I watched a guy try and get a free shirt and a box of ammo with a purchase for like an hour, and then walk out, lol. I feel for the dude, the pistol wasn't cheap, but I was also sitting there when the LGS bought it, an hour before, and can tell you he was only going to make $50 on the sale without the free stuff.

FFL's have some wiggle room, but I tend not to bust balls, unless I can literally drive down the street and save 20-30, then I ask them to match the price. Gun shows, from what I understand are fair game though. My understanding is they mark everything up so when you haggle down, they are getting what they would have in the shop.

I watched a guy try and get a free shirt and a box of ammo with a purchase for like an hour, and then walk out, lol. I feel for the dude, the pistol wasn't cheap, but I was also sitting there when the LGS bought it, an hour before, and can tell you he was only going to make $50 on the sale without the free stuff.

FFL's have some wiggle room, but I tend not to bust balls, unless I can literally drive down the street and save 20-30, then I ask them to match the price. Gun shows, from what I understand are fair game though. My understanding is they mark everything up so when you haggle down, they are getting what they would have in the shop.

Did it go down like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely will be a couple weeks before I get up there (and we're talking 8-10 dollars in gas for me).

For a 500 round case of the cheapo Federal 55 grain 5.56, are they better than $200?

In the not too distant past SO was selling Fed AE 223 for $340/1K.

-Mike

Did it go down like this?

lmao... wow.

No it was very civil, and the dude is a regular so there was some ball busting back and forth. Real nice guy, total anti-fudd, and wanted to give get it for his chick.

Is there a back story to that clip? Like why the dud flipped out? I need context man.

- - - Updated - - -

In the not too distant past SO was selling Fed AE 223 for $340/1K.

-Mike

Damn... I've had friends say they were jerks to them being from MA, but that is a good price.

Last edited by a moderator:
lmao... wow.

No it was very civil, and the dude is a regular so there was some ball busting back and forth. Real nice guy, total anti-fudd, and wanted to give get it for his chick.

Is there a back story to that clip? Like why the dud flipped out? I need context man.

Its a television show, artificially created drama, etc, etc ad nauseam

Yeah... I've seen the invoices lol... It's a brutal business to be in. (Retail in general is tough, often times, especially in the beginning all your profits are tied up in inventory. Then every Tom, Dick and Harry wants a free Tee shirt and two boxes of ammo, along with a 10% reduction of price when they buy an M&P.)

Similar things happen with alcohol, you'd think in a state owned by the Kennedys would at least be a bit easier on the ol' booze.
Absolutely, you read about it here, people will drive off the cape to four seasons to save 10 bucks. I've always said shooters are the cheapest people I know.

I am NOT asking to name companies that ship, BE CLEAR ON THAT!

I'm just trying to understand why companies can't ship here. Reading the law it seems that companies can/could ship with a copy of LTC but they won't because of the AG.. Is that accurate?

Thanks for having a discussion.

Infringing threats were made to most major dealers who shipped ammo to Ma by our glorious line of AGs. Most were scared away from doing business with MA residents.

There are some online vendors that still ship to MA. Find one and keep your mouth shut and don't tell away, especially on NES!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2

It also depends on what part of the state you live in. I live on the Cape, and pretty much everything is overpriced here. Dan at the Outdoor Shop has had the most reasonably priced ammo in my experience. I do buy from him because he's like the nicest gun shop owner you'll ever meet but I still buy bulk when I can find people who'll ship to MA.

Damn... I've had friends say they were jerks to them being from MA, but that is a good price.

There are a crew of whiners around here that whine about them having to show LTC at SO. If you find the policy annoying then you can go to Rileys or Collectible, prices will be in the same ballpark... some days one will have better deals than the other, etc.

-Mike

As a point of comparison, I see 5.56, 55 grain, 1,000 round case for $338.23 including shipping. $0.33/per round. New ammo, not reloads. From a vendor who will not ship to Massachusetts. But as has been stated already in this thread, work around it.

There's no law. Our stupid slutbag whore AG threatens them with horseshit lawsuits. they're not interested in the legal fee burden that that would entail.

- - - Updated - - -

that's bc MA cleverly calls its sales tax a sales and use tax....see you're using it in MA so all your stuff are belong to us.

Who said you're going to use it in MA? If you buy from an on-line place that will actually sell to MA, and then take your box of ammo up to one of the NES shoots in NH, you neither "bought," nor "used" the ammo in MA.

As such, they should have zero interest in the transaction, INCLUDING all attempts to block the sale.

The problem is in MA this doesn't work very well as most of the LGSes are full rape mode. It's mostly the fault of the mid level distributors more than the dealers. The 6.25% sales tax doesn't help matters either.

Why give your money, in the form of taxes on gun purchases, so that douchebag AG can use that money against you?

Its a television show, artificially created drama, etc, etc ad nauseam

That particular scene could be legit.

Apparently the owner (Target Sports in Detroit), has a reputation for being a jerk/hot head, and the cast and
crew pushed the wrong (or right), buttons.

As a point of comparison, I see 5.56, 55 grain, 1,000 round case for $338.23 including shipping. $0.33/per round. New ammo, not reloads. From a vendor who will not ship to Massachusetts. But as has been stated already in this thread, work around it.

Tip/reminder... if having it shipped to an out of state relative or friend, vendors won't process the order if the
address on the credit card is in MA.

Maybe someone should sue the state for not allowing consumers to participate in ecommerce, just saying [angry]

That particular scene could be legit.

Apparently the owner (Target Sports in Detroit), has a reputation for being a jerk/hot head, and the cast and
crew pushed the wrong (or right), buttons.

Tip/reminder... if having it shipped to an out of state relative or friend, vendors won't process the order if the
address on the credit card is in MA.

Not the case with Midway or Palmetto. Bought ammo with a MA CC and shipped it to NH.

Back
Top Bottom