• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Expired LTC - What Now?

My father-in-law's LTC expired 2/15 of this year. He's no longer a MA resident so he will not be renewing. (Or should he?)
I some time searching the forums and found a few threads that state there is a 90-day grace period for expired licenses with no active renewal app, which should allow him to legally transfer them.

Is it possible to transfer ownership of his firearms to me?
If yes, how?
If no, what are we supposed to do with the firearms?

As written this makes no sense. Is he living somewhere like Florida but left his guns at your house or something?

If he's not a resident he'd have to go non-res anyway which doesn't have the grace period.

Need more details...

Yes, he actually does live in FL now, but does not want the guns anymore. He said if they could be transferred to me then I could have them.

Scrambling, and I'm quite the novice when it comes to the in's and out's of gun laws.

You’re borrowing them for now. Have him put them in a will.

If you want to actually register a transfer now then the next time he is in state. Take them all to an FFL and transfer then

My father-in-law's LTC expired 2/15 of this year. He's no longer a MA resident ...
Did he "... notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license(/such card), ... and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days ...", as the law requires for LTCs and FIDs?

If you want to actually register a transfer now then the next time he is in state. Take them all to an FFL and transfer then
And if the FFL can't or won't transfer any of them (AR's, Glocks, ...) to a Mass resident, OP is scrod.

Transfers between residents of 2 different states is prohibited by Federal Law. All such transfers must go thru an FFL, per Federal Law.

Did he "... notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license(/such card), ... and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days ...", as the law requires for LTCs and FIDs?
Negative

And if the FFL can't or won't transfer any of them (AR's, Glocks, ...) to a Mass resident, OP is scrod.
Glock/AR/Mosin - So, I take it I'm scrod?...

The general consensus here is that he completely failed to take action in the time required and is SOL.

What's my next move here folks?

Did he "... notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license ...
Negative
I'm unqualified to advise on the best remedial action,
but someone else on NES may (may) supply the right good advice.

The right good advice probably was given to someone else in the past,
but I wouldn't know it if I tripped over it.

Hmmm. See above.
(Hope that's not a trend).

See babygorilla and the first half 45% of LuvDogs answers.
FTFY.

(Unless @DKAN is the sole heir),
he should be very very sure that the will explicitly says
"@DKAN (by name) gets all the guns".

(This is where some (other) non-lawyer will chime in
and claim that the guns have to be enumerated in the will,
but I've never seen convincing proof of that).

But if (say) @DKAN's father predeceased his mother and she was sole heir,
then her saying "Paw would want you to have the shootin' arns"
does not constitute "being willed the guns".

Rather; if (if) The Man stuck their nose into the estate,
they'd conclude that his mother was willed the guns,
and she tried to give them to him
(i.e., other than via the bequest of the decedent).

Negative

The general consensus here is that he completely failed to take action in the time required and is SOL.

What's my next move here folks?
You could have kept it off a public forum and went on with life.

I go back to the first part of my comment. You are borrowing them and he should explicitly state that they are willed to you upon his death.

Back
Top Bottom