expiration period on ammo?

Is there a shelf life on ammunition for reliability purposes with today's cartridges? I have a box of Critical duty I bought in November. Is it still good to use?

I have some old 303 I think dates back to the Boer war that looks like it was stored under a rock in a river and it all went bang as well.. Modern ammo even close to properly stored should last longer than the owner...

I just shot a box of CCI Mini-Mags from 1977 that I bought at K-Mart for $1.37.

100% of them went off.

I recommend you safely dispose of it all just to be safe. I am a certified old ammo disposal contractor. PM me for details on how to deliver it to me.

I shot some old Remington 38 special lead round nose that my grandmother has for her snubnose. Looking at the style and condition of the box it had to have been from the late 50s-60s. All 50 rounds shot perfectly. The ammo was stored in her attic.

Is there a shelf life on ammunition for reliability purposes with today's cartridges? I have a box of Critical duty I bought in November. Is it still good to use?

I fire mosin nagant and 30-06 ammo that was manufactured between 30 and 40 years ago........as long as the cases are not corroded and the primers are in tact shoot it! The key with ammo storage is a low humidity environment. If it is stored properly it is good for a LOOOOOOONG time. Its not milk or bread young padawan! I kid I kid. But yeah........your good to go.

Look what I found yesterday in my sock drawer. I bought this about 30 yrs ago.

Arrrragh! Nooooooooooo!

EVIL AMMO! GET AWAY!!!!! EEEEEEEEK!!!!

Also this:

Breaking-Bad-Black-Talon-Ammunition.jpg

I bought some surplus 45acp dated 1919 it all went bang.
Now that is cool as hell! I have a box of sears and roebuck 30-06 that was made in the 50s. I picked it up because I thought it was cool that the original price was on the box (found it on the kittery trading post odd ball ammo shelf).........you don't want to know what 20 rounds of 30-06 went for back then!!!!! But it all looks good and I would shoot it through my rifles without a second thought. 1919 thought that's awesome!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom