expiration of pisttol permit

What is the total number of days allowed to act by a licensing authority after expiration has passed?

Act in what way? If your permit expires it expires, the licensing authority doesn't do anything.

if you dont renew your LTC then nothing happens it expires. You have a 90 day "grace period" you can still carry. After than your unlicensed

if you dont renew your LTC then nothing happens it expires. You have a 90 day "grace period" you can still carry. After than your unlicensed

I may be wrong, but I believe the grace period only exists if you have begun the renewal process.

I may be wrong, but I believe the grace period only exists if you have begun the renewal process.

That is correct. Your renewal needs to be in before license expiration in order for the 90 days of grace to kick in. Almost sounds like being blessed and living in grace.

Bless me father...

2hdt8bn.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. The reason I asked was, my next renewal will be on my 70th birthday. It should be free at 70. I don't want want to pay this unfriendly state another $100.

Thanks. The reason I asked was, my next renewal will be on my 70th birthday. It should be free at 70. I don't want want to pay this unfriendly state another $100.

Good luck. Legally you "shouldn't have to" pay for it, but I know of chiefs who disagree since you apply before the birthday. They have been told by EOPS, but they are still free to violate the law with impunity. I'll be in the same boat as you on my next renewal and I expect to have to fight for it. The potentially good news is that I expect my current chief to be gone before then, so it will all depend on who replaces him. On the other hand I hope to be out of MA LONG BEFORE said renewal, in which case there is no free LTC for NRs regardless of age (I did check with FRB).

Lucky me! My renewal, that is now being processed, is dated for my 69th birthday. I should have planned better when I first applied so that I'd get the freebie at 70. Oh well, the governor needs the money, right?

Lucky me! My renewal, that is now being processed, is dated for my 69th birthday. I should have planned better when I first applied so that I'd get the freebie at 70. Oh well, the governor needs the money, right?

It costs a lot to drive that caddilac.

I'm glad someone raised this topic of the 90-day grace period and the waiver of renewal fee for persons age 70 and up. My father waited 2 months for an appointment w/ the licensing authority in Brockton for renewal of his LTC-A. He started the renewal process prior to expiration of his LTC-A, so he's covered under the "90-day grace period", although he was told by the licensing authority that he couldn't carry a firearm or mace outside the home or purchase ammo until his LTC-A renews. My father was a few days shy of his 72nd birthday at the time of his renewal appointment and was charged the $100 renewal fee, which he paid in cash as their policy is not to accept personal checks. I informed him that he was exempt from payment of the fee due to his age, but he's relucant to contact the licensing authority and inform them of the error for fear it will adversely affect renewal of his LTC-A, which he's held without incident for 40 years.

I'm glad someone raised this topic of the 90-day grace period and the waiver of renewal fee for persons age 70 and up. My father waited 2 months for an appointment w/ the licensing authority in Brockton for renewal of his LTC-A. He started the renewal process prior to expiration of his LTC-A, so he's covered under the "90-day grace period", although he was told by the licensing authority that he couldn't carry a firearm or mace outside the home or purchase ammo until his LTC-A renews. My father was a few days shy of his 72nd birthday at the time of his renewal appointment and was charged the $100 renewal fee, which he paid in cash as their policy is not to accept personal checks. I informed him that he was exempt from payment of the fee due to his age, but he's relucant to contact the licensing authority and inform them of the error for fear it will adversely affect renewal of his LTC-A, which he's held without incident for 40 years.

Sorry to hear that.

What makes you think it was an "accident"? It has been the law since 10/21/1998, he's not the first person >70 yo that passed that doorstep with Brockton PD. And from their perspective, accepting cash only (untraceable) means it's "he said, she said" on whether he paid or was given a free renewal . . . unless he has a cash receipt. Even if he does, getting a refund from a gov't agency is like pulling blood from a stone!

Just a suggestion . . . IFF he has a cash receipt.

Take the receipt and a copy of the MGL and bring both to the City Treasurer's office, asking for a refund. Let them and not your Father deal with the errant policy of the PD. [Only the City Treasurer can grant refunds anyway regardless of what department overcharged someone.]

WOW!!! What town does he live in. They (I hope) gave him the wrong information about the grace period, and if that's how they treat anyone within the 90 days, we need to avoid that town. The $100 fee waiver is written into the law. They are in clear violation, unless they consider it a voluntary payment. No matter how you look at it, your dad got screwed. If it were me, I'd be knocking on their door, demanding my money back!

As for the info about can't carry under grace period, like most cops they have no clue what they are talking about. On the other hand, no boots on the street can verify his status, it takes a call to FRB or the issuing department to determine that, so prudence in CCW'g under the grace period is understanding this and proceeding accordingly.

The price issue is also an issue for <18 FIDs.....had to explain (i.e. have the Book, Chapter and Verse of the MGLs) to the local PD for my kid's.

IIRC when you did that the law was relatively new. The >70 free law has been on the books now 15 years. Perhaps the gunshots scared away the Pony Express the day that they were delivering that news to Brockton?? [rolleyes]

There are towns where the PDs WANT to appear ignorant when it benefits them. My town overcharged my Wife once years ago (they made up the fee back when it was $25, they charged $35). I raised hell over it (with the selectmen, town manager, state rep and state sen) and the chief was forced to drop it back down to $25 but nobody got a refund. I knew a prominent person in town (now deceased) who was >70 and forced to pay $100. He was broiling about it as we were all having a holiday dinner at his house years ago, and his Son-in-Law (present at the dinner) was a former officer in the town and former police chief in another town. Seriously doubt that he ever got a refund. It wasn't a "mistake", it was intentional <theft>!

As for the info about can't carry under grace period, like most cops they have no clue what they are talking about. On the other hand, no boots on the street can verify his status, it takes a call to FRB or the issuing department to determine that, so prudence in CCW'g under the grace period is understanding this and proceeding accordingly.

Thats right. The "boots on the street" perspective is all that matters before all hell could break loose for you being arrested, charged, hiring a lawyer etc.

lens i started my 90 grace period on 11-19. i did my renewal on 8-27. i called the pd on my birthday to inquire about my new ltc. the chief told me it hadnt come in yet but he did tell me that it came back from where ever it goes for the clearance and he signed it and sent it in to be printed. he also told me to keep my reciept with my expired license as it is my proof that i did my part in the renewal process. he told me that it would cover me while carrying and transporting to and from the range.

bob

lens i started my 90 grace period on 11-19. i did my renewal on 8-27. i called the pd on my birthday to inquire about my new ltc. the chief told me it hadnt come in yet but he did tell me that it came back from where ever it goes for the clearance and he signed it and sent it in to be printed. he also told me to keep my reciept with my expired license as it is my proof that i did my part in the renewal process. he told me that it would cover me while carrying and transporting to and from the range.

bob

Sounds like you have covered your bases as best you can. That's not to say some rogue cop couldn't still ruin your day. But I'll bet my luck you will be just fine.

Especially since it seems like an arrest in MA isn't the problem. The problem is that the chief can revoke your LTC, which revokes your "right" to own firearms.

If the chief's on board with it, then you are protected from the worst threat. If I remember correctly, the actual crime of carrying after your license expires is just an infraction. But don't take that as fact.

Especially since it seems like an arrest in MA isn't the problem. The problem is that the chief can revoke your LTC, which revokes your "right" to own firearms.

If the chief's on board with it, then you are protected from the worst threat. If I remember correctly, the actual crime of carrying after your license expires is just an infraction. But don't take that as fact.

You are correct Sir.

finally got my renewal. ltc class a no restrictions. i got the call on 12-11-13 (early christmas present...LOL). i began the process on 08-27-13. hopefully 6 yrs from now it will be quicker.

bob

finally got my renewal. ltc class a no restrictions. i got the call on 12-11-13 (early christmas present...LOL).

What a Christmas present huh? Having to get a permission slip from the gov't to do something you already have the natural right to do, and waiting way too long to get said permission slip to boot? [wink]

You must be a transplanted CT guy calling it a Pistol Permit.

Not necessarily. MA gun owners that were around before GCA98 passed in MA, "Pistol Permit" was a frequently used euphemism to describe having licensure that exceeded the "issued for life" FID card that pretty much everyone had.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom