• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Experiences applying for LTC-ALP in Arlington, MA?

While I see that Arlington is rated green at packing.org and masscarry.org, I'm still interested in hearing about specific experiences people have had when applying for ALP LTCs under the tenure of the current Chief (Ryan) and licensing officer (Moran).

Some things I'm interested in hearing about:

• * Is putting down "all lawful purposes" on the application generally good enough, or do they want specifics?
    * Do they require documents/letters/etc. beyond the official requirements?
    * What's the interview like?
    * Anything else you can think of or would like to pass along.

Thanks!

lagrangian said:
While I see that Arlington is rated green at packing.org and masscarry.org, I'm still interested in hearing about specific experiences people have had when applying for ALP LTCs under the tenure of the current Chief (Ryan) and licensing officer (Moran).

Some things I'm interested in hearing about:

• * Is putting down "all lawful purposes" on the application generally good enough, or do they want specifics?
    * Do they require documents/letters/etc. beyond the official requirements?
    * What's the interview like?
    * Anything else you can think of or would like to pass along.

Thanks!

I don't know how they do their applications, however, when you go in to our station they have a package that lists what you need to do and what you need to bring in for the interview/fingerprint process. Have you already picked up your application? If no, you might want to call them to see if you need additional things, like letter/s or additional documents.

FWIW

Thanks for the tip!

Like I said, I'm very early in the process. Another question -- should I pick up the application package before or after taking the required pistol class? And how long is the pistol class certificate good for (with respect to being used for an application)? In the various stuff I've found online about the MA LTC application process, I haven't run across (or have missed) how long the certificate of completion is valid for.

Welcome to the board.

I can't speak for Arlington, but I put for personal and family protection and received an ALP from Holden, MA. I think that is all they issue in Holden, they have the understanding if you can own a gun you can carry. Only having a sporting or range isnt going to stop you from commiting a crime. It just depends on the chief. It packing has them listed as green you should be good to go.

Call the station and ask what they require for the application. And good luck. :D

lagrangian said:
Thanks for the tip!

Like I said, I'm very early in the process. Another question -- should I pick up the application package before or after taking the required pistol class? And how long is the pistol class certificate good for (with respect to being used for an application)? In the various stuff I've found online about the MA LTC application process, I haven't run across (or have missed) how long the certificate of completion is valid for.

What I would suggest is this:

Call the station, or go and pick up the App. They may also have a list of folks that teach the safety courses that you can call. And I do suggest you call them. Find out what kind of class they teach. I would recommend that you take an NRA course (and not just because I'm cert. NRA Inst.) because I've seen some of the "other" classes and they don't always give you things you should know, but that's my personal opinion. Not only that, but there are price differences - don't go with the first one you call, unless you like the sound of it.

Normally, LEO's prefer that the certificate you get from the course not be older than 6 months. Some will make you take the course again. That 6 months isn't law - that just seems to be the length of time I've heard from a few different folks. I'd go more with no more than 3 months old if you can do it, but that's just a suggestion.

Check it out and let us know how you make out.

Back
Top Bottom