Excrutiathlon - WINNERS creedon & shaw

Well, folks...this was a success. Everything went well, noone got hurt or died.

The results were:
1st Place: creedon & shaw
2nd Place: beastlyadams & gruyere
3rd Place: lovian & namnwod
4th Place: invictus87 & atilla
5th Place: joeendris & sweetjeep

joeendris and sweetjeep got the "The Only Thing Shittier Than This Trophy Was How I Did In The Excrutiathlon" Trophy, creedon and shaw got the ridiculous Winner's trophy, and last but not least, atilla got the "Triumphant Bastard" award for being a ****in trooper, and coming out and gettin' shit done.

Last edited:
Could probably do something like this in NH or Vermont, I think if it was to be done in MA it would have to fly under the radar, deep in western MA where theres towns marshas never heard of.

Id show up to atleast watch.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think it would be pretty cool to have to have to run something other than laps or your standard cross-country course between shooting. Mud, barbed wire, steep hills, freezing cold water, etc.

I might be able to convince the Monadnock club BOD.
If there's enough interest I'll point the right person to this thread, unless he finds it first.

Be careful what you wish for. [devil]

I might be able to convince the Monadnock club BOD.
If there's enough interest I'll point the right person to this thread, unless he finds it first.

Be careful what you wish for. [devil]

I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want it to come true, Dennis [smile]

Hey Folks,

I just returned a PM to MrTwigg, and think that this is a fine idea. I don't know how many folks with atmay's ...ummm "vision" exist among the forum, but it'd be neat to find out.

MrTwigg has graciously offered to to monitor the situation, and gauge enthusiasm for such an event.

In the meantime, I'll take the Club's temperature and consult our insurance provider as regards such an event that includes running a "natural" course along with traditional firearms use.

Have at it gentlemen.

PS - We do have a 3D archery course that circles the Club grounds. Where water is crossed and some steep terrain exists.

PPS - Before or after the GunPowderPig III Green Shoot on August 20th, you are welcome to walk the grounds to see what's available terrain-wise.

Last edited:
Well some of the folks who post here can be repelling at times....

Shooting is a given.

Lets have some ideas for stages folks

Run the as yet to be determined course with your holstered /slung firearms ? [shocked] <--- SAFELY ! Unloaded and on safe, confirmed by RSO before leaving stage....er, perhaps after a slog through the pond. [smile]

Carbine course, scored paper targets or steel knock down type.
We’ll need some of the latter.

IDPA style pistol stage ? Zombies ? Coyotes ?

Woodcraft stage ? IE: saw a log for firewood then split with an axe / start fire without using matches ?

Archery ? Spear chuckin’ ? Hatchet toss ? Troll toss ? [devil]

Simulated rescue aka, the dummy drag ?
C’mon folks, lets get some realistic and perhaps a few unrealistic ideas (as long as they’re reasonable sane) and see what you can come up with !

I would like to do this and even help I have designed 3 gun stages in the past. Breach a perimeter and secure a building, Battering ram a door and clear a house, both with rifle to hand gun transition. Pull a 150lbs. dummy to safety while defending against threats. Come out of an outhouse with your pants down and engage threat targets with a shot gun
Just some ideas

To interject here:

I was thinking more along the lines of an intense biathlon (from the unfortunate liability angle). Explaining to your insurance company that there was an accident when 'the shooter tripped over his pants when exiting the faux outhouse to face aggressive threats'. No liabilty waiver covers that kind of behavior.

We have some very steep terrain, a couple of opportunities to cross moving water, more opportunities to cross still water, and cross ravines that are bridged.

More of a course whose intent is to fatigue the competitor and have that individual fight through that fatigue to perform "on target" throughout the experience.

More along the lines of MrTwigg's suggestions and the original intent that I believe atmay started the thread.

I was thinking more along the lines of an intense biathlon (from the unfortunate liability angle). Explaining to your insurance company that there was an accident when 'the shooter tripped over his pants when exiting the faux outhouse to face aggressive threats'. No liabilty waiver covers that kind of behavior.

[laugh] That would be funny. Maybe Loyds of London will insure this. I hear that they will insure most anything.

To interject here:

We have some very steep terrain, a couple of opportunities to cross moving water, more opportunities to cross still water, and cross ravines that are bridged.

More of a course whose intent is to fatigue the competitor and have that individual fight through that fatigue to perform "on target" throughout the experience.

More along the lines of MrTwigg's suggestions and the original intent that I believe atmay started the thread.

Monadnock is absolutely correct in thinking that this is what I was thinking. Tough runs/obstacles in between relatively tame action stages. Especially for the "1st annual", keeping everything as simple as possible (ie no breaching, no outhouse stages, etc) will be key.

For the shooting stages, shooting from behind cover (barricades, barrels) in compromised positions (no traditional marksmanship here, sorry Twigg), with some movement between cover (your basic action shooting kind of thing).

The out house stage was real and was one of the stages a few years back at a three gun match held at the Hartford Gun Club.
You had to put on supplied boxers around your knees and sit on the hopper, when the buzzer went off you got up pulled the boxers up kicked the door open and engaged the close threats with your hand gun then picked up your shot gun a engaged the 10 further out threats with slugs about 50 slugs just to be sure because at least on shot had to be in the down 0 to nutrelize the threat. The 10 shot gun targets were hidden behind pine branched so you could not see your hits.

i would make it like a week long suckfest! [rofl]

ok, serioulsy... i like atmay's thinking... throw some exercises out there for people to get smoked! drag some water cans around, tie a rope to an old tire, drag it. there are tons of good exercises like that designed towards LE / Fire / EMS that can be put together with comon stuff from your local hardware store.

I'm in there have been a lot of those tuff mudder type races lately but I haven't been able to get to one. But for something like this I would deff clear my schedule

Possibly in, would have to see what the finalized plans are for obstacles and when it will be.

I'm about to start the 4th week of a running program and started biking, but still far from "in shape" (unless you count round) but it's definitely an interesting idea.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see a reasonable amount of interest in this! [smile]

Hopefully MrTwigg and I can hammer out some details in the next few weeks, and figure out when/how this is going to happen.

The idea sounds damn cool. *Flashbacks to PSD training*
I think if it was to be done in MA it would have to fly under the radar, deep in western MA where theres towns marshas never heard of.
Good luck with that. She grew up in North Adams and went to Williams...

Could probably do something like this in NH or Vermont, I think if it was to be done in MA it would have to fly under the radar, deep in western MA where theres towns marshas never heard of.

We could hold it in Ripton!!!! [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom