• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Excrutiathlon - WINNERS creedon & shaw

Ummmm.... any women in this competition???

Went to my first action shoot(bowling pins) today. My wife tagged along and by the time we left she wanted to shoot too. So yea she would be in, but no chance for her dropping her pants for part of the stage. Sorry!

Went to my first action shoot(bowling pins) today. My wife tagged along and by the time we left she wanted to shoot too. So yea she would be in, but no chance for her dropping her pants for part of the stage. Sorry!

We're not doing the outhouse thing [laugh]

I spent some time cooking up some plans this weekend while I was at Monadnock R&G. This should be good [smile]

So far I've counted 12 folks as stating "in" or "do this".

I believe this could be a sufficient number of participitants to begin with as once the details are hashed out others will join in.

What say you all ?

So far I've counted 12 folks as stating "in" or "do this".

I believe this could be a sufficient number of participitants to begin with as once the details are hashed out others will join in.

What say you all ?

From the Club's perspective, a dozen is certainly enough. Afterall, this is not really a money-maker so participant count is not crucial for those reasons. Recompense comes with the laughter and the agony. It's just planning/scheduling, insurance/waivers and the like that have to be figured. I've been digging through parts and pices of some old Club trophies, piecing together the 1st Annual Excruciathalon Winner's Award ...or somesuch.

EXCRUCIATION
noun
Definition: severe mental and physical distress/torment/torture
Suggests persecution or the repeated inflicting of suffering or annoyance; torture adds the implication of causing unbearable pain or suffering

From the Club's perspective, a dozen is certainly enough. Afterall, this is not really a money-maker so participant count is not crucial for those reasons. Recompense comes with the laughter and the agony. It's just planning/scheduling, insurance/waivers and the like that have to be figured. I've been digging through parts and pices of some old Club trophies, piecing together the 1st Annual Excruciathalon Winner's Award ...or somesuch.

EXCRUCIATION
noun
Definition: severe mental and physical distress/torment/torture
Suggests persecution or the repeated inflicting of suffering or annoyance; torture adds the implication of causing unbearable pain or suffering

[smile]

Awesome!

In that case... maybe in.

I'd be in, depending on total distance. I'd be in for running in winter, too. I don't mind being cold.

If I can make a suggestion? In biathlon, getting the desired balance between shooting and skiing is difficult. I've seen competitors win by skiing their hearts out, then just blowing the shooting portion and taking the penalties. Put some extra planning into making the shoot potentially consume time, unless you're mostly interested in running.

If there are good-sized pits there, you can do an awful lot of sprinting in 70 yards of pit by zig-zaging a course of fire. I've watched a competition where a stage called for going back and forth all the way down a 300-yard pit (with about 500 yards of actual running), and it wasn't a picnic. Even with that, it's really hard to get more than two minutes or so of shooting out of a regular 50-70 yard pit. Compare that to likely running times [grin].

Alternately, you can make the shooting sufficiently hard and numerous (small targets at 300+ yards or so) that shooting takes some serious time instead of 30-60 seconds.

Tough runs/obstacles in between relatively tame action stages. Especially for the "1st annual", keeping everything as simple as possible (ie no breaching, no outhouse stages, etc) will be key.

It's your show, but unless shooting is seriously challenging and eats time, you'll mostly be measuring running speed.

slung guns
The club will likely have an opinion on people running with slung or partially slung rifles.

I'm really hoping to do this during the peak of mud season,

Not to be a downer, but muddy trails will make it a big advantage to go first. You can see the time difference between going first and last in an IDPA match, where you're running maybe 30 feet.

I don't think I know who you are behind the screen-name, or if we've met. Do you have someone on board who's setup or run action stages before? Does Monadnock have pits?

Last edited:
Can't run per doctor's orders, but I can cycle like a son of a gun. Include a cycling option, and a skiing option, and I could do it. That, or maybe a beer pounding leg at the end.

I'd be in, depending on total distance. I'd be in for running in winter, too. I don't mind being cold.

If I can make a suggestion? In biathlon, getting the desired balance between shooting and skiing is difficult. I've seen competitors win by skiing their hearts out, then just blowing the shooting portion and taking the penalties. Put some extra planning into making the shoot potentially consume time, unless you're mostly interested in running.

If there are good-sized pits there, you can do an awful lot of sprinting in 70 yards of pit by zig-zaging a course of fire. I've watched a competition where a stage called for going back and forth all the way down a 300-yard pit (with about 500 yards of actual running), and it wasn't a picnic. Even with that, it's really hard to get more than two minutes or so of shooting out of a regular 50-70 yard pit. Compare that to likely running times [grin].

Alternately, you can make the shooting sufficiently hard and numerous (small targets at 300+ yards or so) that shooting takes some serious time instead of 30-60 seconds.

It's your show, but unless shooting is seriously challenging and eats time, you'll mostly be measuring running speed.

The club will likely have an opinion on people running with slung or partially slung rifles.

Not to be a downer, but muddy trails will make it a big advantage to go first. You can see the time difference between going first and last in an IDPA match, where you're running maybe 30 feet.

I don't think I know who you are behind the screen-name, or if we've met. Do you have someone on board who's setup or run action stages before? Does Monadnock have pits?

Thank you for all your input! I don't believe we've met...but if you come to the Pumpkin Shoot at MRGCI in November, I'll be there.

To answer a couple questions...we don't have anyone specifically (maybe someone wants to volunteer?) who's run action matches before, but I've done a bit of stage set up for training, which is mostly what I'm going off for now.

Monadnock does NOT have pits. They're essentially a 100yd range thats ~40-50yds wide. This will be a challenge to work around, I know. But, I'm a tinkerer by nature and will figure this out [laugh]

And there is a club opinion on running with slung guns (not sure who mentioned it first) and that is there will be none. This will have to be a "pick it up off the rack right before you start shooting" sort of match.

As for trails, I know that going first rules. When I ran Tough Mudder this past year, I was probably about the 15,000th person to start [laugh] I would have loved to have gone first.

For this first year at least, what I'm really hoping for is for a good size group of dudes (and ladies) to come out, have a good time, convert some money into noise, and generate some business for the local laundromat. Then hopefully provide us with feedback.

Anyone who wants to volunteer time, expertise, materials (we already have had a generous offer for targets and barricades. Thanks Andy!) and time. While this is "my thing", I'm not going to say no to any help.

We don't yet. Its something I need to discuss with the folks in charge. I'm hoping to get a date pinned down after the pumpkin shoot

Ya ya ya. [bs1]

We will be interested in this, but we are not running. Would be more interested if done in the colder weather [smile].

You can walk, you know. You just won't win [laugh]

If there's enough interest, I'm sure we could get the BOD on-board with a winter event as well. I'm just not sure of the practicality of running one this winter.

What if my shooting score is better than everyone else's? [laugh]

And I walk fast?

Nicole says she would love an excuse to buy snowshoes. [wink]

a) If you get through the shooting part really fast, that'll make up for not running/walking as fast

b) That's better than walking slowly, I suppose.

c) If it means Nicole will be able to justify buying snowshoes, I'll do my damnedest to run one of these in the show [laugh]

what?

i just subscribed to this thread.... [smile]

but again, what?

who? what? when? where? how? why?

The who: whoever wants to. Myself, MrTwigg and AndyInNh are putting this shindig together

The what: an action-packed biathlon type event. In addition to running (on trails) and shooting (tacticool stuff, not traditional marksmanship) there will be lifting, dragging, flipping, stacking and other various physical activities. This will NOT be a walk in the park.

The when: sometime this spring. No firm date just yet.

The where: monadnock rod & gun in jaffrey nh.

The why: why not?

The how: one foot in front of the other, sight picture & alignment, and with your legs, not your back!

Back
Top Bottom