• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

excessive rearward thrust

Excessive rearword thrust....I Had read about this on another forum where some one was asking about oiling ammo.. I don't do that but I do run my AR very wet and have for a long time without issue.. But I spray remoil everywhere.....I know oil has dropped into the mag and got cases oily... Anyone think this is a issue?

Excessive rearword thrust....I Had read about this on another forum where some one was asking about oiling ammo.. I don't do that but I do run my AR very wet and have for a long time without issue.. But I spray remoil everywhere.....I know oil has dropped into the mag and got cases oily... Anyone think this is a issue?

Basing only on military experience; no. I oil the hell out of my M16A4, I oiled the hell out of my M4 and M16A2, and my m249 practically needs to be run with a wet sump system unless I've prepped it with Mil-Tec(personal experience). Oil it up and wipe it clean after you're done.

Varmint Al's web page gets into a painfully detailed discussion on chamber friction and bolt thrust, but isn't an exact match to your situation of a standard chamber with oil. Interesting reading, though.

http://www.varmintal.com/a243zold.htm

As you oil the ammo or chamber, and reduce the friction between the brass and the sides of the chamber, the bolt will have to bear more of the strain. As long as that force is within the range the bolt was designed for, the rifle won't care. The .mil weapons designs are overbuilt to allow the rifle (or MG) to withstand the worst case without issue, so an increased bolt load isn't going to bother them. As you get closer to the limits of the bolt by changing to a different cartridge (for instance) with a higher bolt thrust, the friction between the brass and chamber becomes important.

I know I've seen how to calculate bolt strength somewhere out there....

ETA: Lilja, should have guessed. http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/custom_actions/bolt_lug_strength.htm

Last edited:
Varmint Al's web page gets into a painfully detailed discussion on chamber friction and bolt thrust, but isn't an exact match to your situation of a standard chamber with oil. Interesting reading, though.

http://www.varmintal.com/a243zold.htm

As you oil the ammo or chamber, and reduce the friction between the brass and the sides of the chamber, the bolt will have to bear more of the strain. As long as that force is within the range the bolt was designed for, the rifle won't care. The .mil weapons designs are overbuilt to allow the rifle (or MG) to withstand the worst case without issue, so an increased bolt load isn't going to bother them. As you get closer to the limits of the bolt by changing to a different cartridge (for instance) with a higher bolt thrust, the friction between the brass and chamber becomes important.

I know I've seen how to calculate bolt strength somewhere out there....

ETA: Lilja, should have guessed. http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/custom_actions/bolt_lug_strength.htm
Thank you very much!

Shouldn't be an issue, but if you want to get technical, if the cartridges soak in oil though it can seep into the inside the casing and ruin the gunpowder. Ive seen someone do this intentionally which led to a misfire after drenching the round for a few minutes. Why do you think Russian ammo is typically sealed with lacquer? Oil on the projectile or in the barrel can also change your point of impact with every shot. As for soaking your AR with oil, if your out roughing it you can attract a good amount of dirt causing jams and making cleaning harder than it has to be. You really only need to lube the contact points, though she'll run better wet, but I would try and keep oil out of the mags and ammo.

Most reloading manuals tell you to clean any residual case lube off the cases because the reduced friction causes more energy to be transferred to the bolt instead of properly expanding the case to seal against the chamber. This can cause hot gasses to leak back between the case and chamber.

Back
Top Bottom