Evolv security scanner?

je25ff

NES Member
I am not going to mention where I went, and for the love of God don't turn this into a: how do you get past security or something Admin has to lock....

So I was moving with a very large crowd to enter a stadium and passed through what looked like a metal detector. Apparently it's not. It's a 'weapons detector' that uses AI. Well, out of hundreds of people, security asked me to step aside and empty my pockets and pass through an actual metal detector. I just had my phone, keys, and earbuds, no big deal. I was carrying my pistol about 30 minutes prior but locked it up before I had to go to the stadium.

So I googled this and this is the website: Evolv Technology - Safer Zones

I found this somewhat generic description:

"The system uses active millimeter wave (MMW) and electromagnetic sensors that detect both weapons and bombs. Active scanners direct millimeter wave energy at the person being scanned and then interpret the reflected energy. Active MMW delivers results consistently and can be set up anywhere regardless of environmental changes such as lighting. It does not emit any radiation and outlines and highlights only the concealed, detected threat; and not bodily images."

Here's the tin foil part. A buddy I work with said that it, 'uses facial recognition to determine if you have an LTC' This can't possibly be true. Has anyone heard this? My thought is that it can detect gunpowder residue.

This can't possibly be true.
why it would not be true? it is perfectly doable and can be used.
there was a whole thing in NYC where they kicked out a mom from the show with kids using same tech, as mom worked for a company suing the premises over something. so security kicked her out. it` al the same tech, only with further 'enhancements'

why it would not be true?

Certainly it's true technically, it just isn't legally:

"...created in 1982 through a petition from the Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts (GOAL). Under the law the names and addresses of individuals applying for or bearing firearm licenses, as well as selling or transferring firearms, including ammunition and machine guns, are exempt from the public records law."

This was a privately owned location, unless there's something I'm missing about LTCs being public record.

"...created in 1982 through a petition from the Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts (GOAL). Under the law the names and addresses of individuals applying for or bearing firearm licenses, as well as selling or transferring firearms, including ammunition and machine guns, are exempt from the public records law."

This was a privately owned location, unless there's something I'm missing about LTCs being public record.
huh? legally?

it is all for the good cause. so all legal. just remember to bend over and try to get some satisfaction. and, yes, it detected the gamma rays in the ultrathin spectrum, emanated by the ghost of th gun you used to carry. or they just used your photo from the new universal id system database. select for yourself what is more probable. 'the AI selected you, so you must to comply'. yep.

I am not going to mention where I went, and for the love of God don't turn this into a: how do you get past security or something Admin has to lock....

So I was moving with a very large crowd to enter a stadium and passed through what looked like a metal detector. Apparently it's not. It's a 'weapons detector' that uses AI. Well, out of hundreds of people, security asked me to step aside and empty my pockets and pass through an actual metal detector. I just had my phone, keys, and earbuds, no big deal. I was carrying my pistol about 30 minutes prior but locked it up before I had to go to the stadium.

"The system uses active millimeter wave (MMW) and electromagnetic sensors that detect both weapons and bombs. Active scanners direct millimeter wave energy at the person being scanned and then interpret the reflected energy. Active MMW delivers results consistently and can be set up anywhere regardless of environmental changes such as lighting. It does not emit any radiation and outlines and highlights only the concealed, detected threat; and not bodily images."

Here's the tin foil part. A buddy I work with said that it, 'uses facial recognition to determine if you have an LTC' This can't possibly be true. Has anyone heard this? My thought is that it can detect gunpowder residue.
"Sir. Could you please step this way for an additional security check?"
"I'm sorry. I know you're just doing your job, but I can't go along with that."
"You'll have to leave."
"I understand. I'm leaving the property now.

"Sir. Could you please step this way for an additional security check?"
"I'm sorry. I know you're just doing your job, but I can't go along with that."
"You'll have to leave."
"I understand. I'm leaving the property now.
Works for private sector, probably not public. The is a MA court decision on the subject - although in that case it was a matter of the subject telling the X-Ray attendant at a government facility he denied permission to search his bag (which the attendant already had possession of). The court ruled that one irrevocably grants permission by entering the checkpoint. It was silent on the matter of the authority of government to detain him to force a search if they attempted to search his person.

The facial recognition ai is looking for furtive glances or worried looks at the scanners, and characteristic facial features of people likely to have guns.

characteristic facial features of people likely to have guns.

the-good-the-bad-the-ugly

They have these at the Boston music festival. I assumed it was scanning for explosives and stuff too. I never figured it was scanning people's personalities.

the regular carry position probably left a faint imprint on the clothing that was detected by the mm wave sensor.
A bit of digging on this and found “…millimeter wave body scanners are sensitive enough to detect even small, non-metallic objects, so if there were any residual traces of the weapon (e.g., particles or residue) that had different properties from the surrounding clothing, the scanner might be able to detect them.”

Sounds like something that evolved from the Natick Labs testing they did years ago. They were testing this on people on the street to detect weapons. That of course brought up the question of 'unreasonable search and seizure" since the "guinea pigs" were unwitting, unwilling, and in a public space.

They had these at Gillette at the beginning of the season. Don't know if they kept them all season. My friends walked in with about 15 beers between them, cause it isn't a metal detector. I told my son who was going the next game, and he and his buddies did the same thing.

A lot of those places have the machines as security theatre more than anything else. I would bet in a lot of cases they don’t even bother maintaining training or even maintenance etc. It’s pretty funny when you approach the checkpoints and it’s like “well, this is stupid, i could do X y and z to get a gun in here if i really cared”. Other places depending on the ticket you have you could literally select your way around the perimeter.

Hehe. Just wait. Those sensors can tell if your belt is twisted from carry. Or whether your left boot is compressed from rubbing against an ankle holster.

That the footprint pressure pads leading into the scanner fields take a substantial amount of biometric data.

Your gait, and your ass cheek pressure imprint on an airplane seat is more usable than your fingerprints.

The data is definitely out there, see for example the NLETS thread.

Remember, the MA AG's office released all LTC and transaction data after dubiously sanitizing the data so the benchmark on legality is a moving target. And even if it was illegal, they still hate you and will do it anyway, wait for a nominal reprimand from the courts, and then do it again.

I've been waiting for this. My stepdaughter has worked there for about 5 years, well before they went public. She never gets real specific, they know she has an LTC, but I thinks she locks it up before she gets out of her car when going into the office. She's not on the R&D end, she's the office manager. Her late sister on the other hand had a doozie of a job opportunity about 5 or 6 years back. My late daughter was a waitress/bartender/hairdresser but her passion was in the equestrian field. One of her riding friends had been working a very high end gig in Weschester County for several years. She was leaving and her employer asked her to reccomend a replacement. My daughter was very interested. She went down for a long weekend to be considered for the job. She had to sign an NDA. When she got back she seemed disappointed she didn't get it. She finished 2nd of six applicants. She said the woman that won the spot had a fair amount of Veterinary experience. I asked her what the NDA was all about. She said the stables and residence belonged to George Soros, his sons and ex-wife lived there. I said if your grandfather found out you were working for the family of the anti-Christ, he would've lost his shit.

Last edited:
I sell and install these units. They are not metal detectors in the historical sense. They use an algorithm to determine weapons from normal metal things. Users can adjust the sensitivity, but go to low and you will pick up everything like a normal metal detector. They can false alarm on things like umbrellas, canes, and other objects that could be metal and in the shape of a long gun. They DO NOT use facial recognition to check LTC's. The units can be tied to your video system and if you are using facial recognition could be used to flag known people. The most common video platform that Evolve partners with is Avigilon and facial recognition is turned off by default. Takes a special license to turn it on.
The great thing about these units is that it speeds up entry while making it more secure. You can have multiple people walk through the line, not single file. No emptying of pockets or bags. Most people don't even realize they walked through them. They are deployed in a lot of venues around New England. I was at Foxwoods for Aaron Lewis Saturday night and they had these units. Walked right through with my pocket knife. They don't scan for those unless the sensitivity is turned way up. Basically these are only looking for mass causality type of weapons.
We are putting them in High Schools around here right now.

I believe they used these at Gillette all last Pats season. Never flagged me despite LTC and having just carried with a half dozen times through.

The TSA was using these in the common areas of Logan for a while as a trial period. I believe they had signs up that said Millimeter Wave Technology in use. No lanes or anything. Just some funky machine on a tripod pointed at the crowd...

Last edited:

I’m sure it does

I watched one in action recently. I passed through and then had a chance to look at the screen. The attendant took someone to be wanded or whatever they do. While he did that a couple of people passed through the machine. What i couldn't figure out is whether or not the those two people basically got a free pass or if the machine would still alert.

I watched one in action recently. I passed through and then had a chance to look at the screen. The attendant took someone to be wanded or whatever they do. While he did that a couple of people passed through the machine. What i couldn't figure out is whether or not the those two people basically got a free pass or if the machine would still alert.
The machine will still alert. And if it is tied to their video platform it would now track them live.

Security theater is right.

A few years ago, a friend asked me to drive her into Boston to go to a music event. She didn't want to hassle with traffic, and offered me a ticket in exchange. I agreed, and we headed in one early evening. I was carrying my usual Colt .45, two spare magazines, a can of pepper spray and a locking blade.

Upon arrival at the venue, I realized they had pretty serious security set up. The first station was searching bags, while the next station was wanding patrons. I figured I'd just proceed, and if they found my stuff, I'd politely depart, and wait for my friend at a local coffee shop when the concert was over.

The gun was on my right, rear hip, two spare mags behind the left, the blade and spray in my purse.

The guy searching bags missed the zippered compartment holding the blade and pepper spray. Missed the Swiss Army Knife at the bottom, nearly in plain sight.

The wand guy wanded my belly area, and completely ignored my back, legs or sides. Everything was missed.

The thought of being disarmed in a crowded place covered by such inadequate security seems insane. Especially since you know that security when there are no events is probably even more pathetic, meaning someone can smuggle in bombs, guns, knives and anything else.

My take is that I don't need to visit places that demand that I disarm.

Chances are a sporting event I'm guessing and despite the fact the athletes make fun of people like you and I, so many of you will go back and back because apparently being insulted by a millionaire athlete is something that some people want? deserve? The afterwards they pay a cable bill to watch away games on TV while the athletes do more poking fun at normal people.

Teach these people a lesson, stop going, even if you get a free ticket, toss it in the trash. When the ticket sales are off 50% there will be panic in the streets. It only took a handful of people to stop drinking bud light to send the company into panic mode and start firing management.

why it would not be true? it is perfectly doable and can be used.
there was a whole thing in NYC where they kicked out a mom from the show with kids using same tech, as mom worked for a company suing the premises over something. so security kicked her out. it` al the same tech, only with further 'enhancements'
That was Radio City Music Hall in NYC
Madison Square Garden in NYC also uses facial recognition technology.

Back
Top Bottom