EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
3/6/14 - Please see Post # 1940 for latest links (seems that they change them annually)!
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...C-amp-R-FFL!?p=3785674&viewfull=1#post3785674

-------------------------------------

1/25/2011 - I am modifying this post as links are all broken (gov't changes URLs with every administration change in DC! [thinking]).

Info on the C&R FFL (Curios & Relics Collectors - NOT a dealer):

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Curios & Relics | ATF

Call the local BATFE office (Boston, Springfield, Hartford, etc.) and request the C&R FFL application, forms and booklets, or go to the following URL and download them (they now allow us to do this).

Forms - ATF F 5310.16 Instructions | ATF

Actual PDF forms are here:

F 5310.16 (F 7CR) - http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf
F 5310.20 - http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

NOTE: In spite of the application saying that ALL info MUST be supplied in item 9, the DIRECTIONS under Privacy Act (para 4) state clearly that the SSN is VOLUNTARY (and NOT mandatory). I don't suggest providing SSN, but that is just me. [I never did/do and have never been denied . . . except by MSP for BFS Instructor Certification and that is about to be resolved or face litigation in Federal Court.]

You can download or order the following pubs (they will be sent to you when you get your C&R FFL anyway):

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/
ATF P 5300.11 & Update - C&R List (1972-2007)

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/index.html
ATF P 5300.5 - State Laws and Published Ordinance - 2008

Cost is $30.00/3 years. You MUST to notify your local Chief that you applied (by giving a copy of the form ONLY) but you do NOT need your local chief's approval!

There ARE record-keeping requirements and BATFE can audit your records, but that is rare unless they are looking for someone/something.

I'll discuss the reasons you should do this in a reply.

NOTE: If you are waiting a long, long time for your C&R FFL and want to check your application status, the number (as of 2012) is: (866) 662-2750 for the Licensing Center.

-----------------

ETA (7/18/2013) - If you move:
Take your current ORIGINAL 03 and mail it in to the address on it with a short signed letter, stating that you've moved. You should send a courtesy copy (so marked) to the chief of police in your new town (or the State Police/Sheriff IFF there IS no PD your my town - some tiny towns in some states don't have a local police force).

Last edited:
Why Should I Have a C&R FFL?

You ask "Why should I have a C&R FFL?"

- C&R FFLs can obtain C&R eligible (ONLY) firearms anywhere in the US in a face-to-face transaction or have them shipped DIRECTLY to the C&R FFL! [This assumes no state law to the contrary. This works for MA.]

- C&R FFLs can thus purchase handguns that DEALER FFLs can NOT sell in MA! [Chapter 180 prohibited "Purveyors" of firearms from selling firearms that are untested, not on the List, etc. But since C&R FFLs are NOT Dealers ("purveyors") they are EXEMPT from this portion of the law.]

- C&R FFLs get Wholesale pricing from places like: Brownells, Midway USA, Grafs, etc. This can easily save you >$30.00 over the 3 years.

- C&R FFLs can thus purchase handguns that DEALER FFLs can NOT sell in MA! [Chapter 180 prohibited "Purveyors" of firearms from selling firearms that are untested, not on the List, etc. But since C&R FFLs are NOT Dealers ("purveyors") they are EXEMPT from this portion of the law.]

So I can buy a brand new H&K USP from a FFL I know out of state at wholesale and have it shipped to me ? Or do I have to have it shipped to a in state FFL holder ? Or am I reading this totally wrong(wouldn't be the 1st time)

I hope I am reading this right,I have been wanting a USP for a while,but I don't want a used one.

Greg has it right. C&R eligible guns are those >50 yrs old or on a special list published by BATFE.

So no USPs for ~40 more years. :(

BTW, nothing wrong with used guns, as long as they weren't abused. H&K gives a lifetime warranty anyway. Both my USP Compacts were purchased used and I saved ~$50 on the first one (it was only 2 weeks old prior to the owner trading for a Glock) or ~$200 on the second one.

One trip to the range and my guns become "used" . . . IMNSHO not worth $100 or more just to be the "first shot" on a gun.

Hey!

Best $30.00 dollar investment you can make! Once you have the 03 FFL there's a hell of a lot of bargains out there dealing with C&R eligible firearms. Hell, for $60.00 dollars you can pick up a Mosin-Nagant M44 or M38 rifle in 7.62X54R that you can use for deer hunting. How bout a CZ52 arsenal refinished pistol in 7.62X25 for a $100.00 bucks! Then there's the deals you can get on surplus ammo from various distributors (FFL holders only) once they have your FFL on file. Take the time and apply, you'll be happy you did!

Hey JONJ:

While your waiting, get your "intro" letter ready to be mailed out with a copy of your FFL to all the dealers (SOG, CENTURY, etc). You can also send one to Brownells. Although they are not C&R dealers they will give you a discount on any purhases. If you have a scanner, scan your license (unsigned) when you get it and save it to disk. Makes it easier to print out copies when you need em (and you will). If you havn't experienced removing "aged" cosmolene from a firearm, get ready for a real treat! Here's a good site for some additional info on C&R firearms:
www.cruffler.com

Have Fun!

Thanks Ctgunner. Ya I can't wait to get it.
Nothing better than cleaning old cosmo. Got my first workout on a CMP H&R M1 USGI. The stuff was everywhere. No better way to learn how to strip a rifle down than having to clean all that stuff off!

Pick up one of the Yugo SKS' for practice! [twisted]

You'll need 5 gallons of solvent, a rubber suit, and a fire-hose to clean all the cosmo off those puppies!

JonJ said:
Sent my app to the BATF for a C&R a few weeks ago. I can't wait.

You'll have to wait a while, hun. My C&R expired in March (last year) - I sent my renewal in as soon as I got the form (I think that was in January). Suddenly it occured to me after my C&R expired that I didn't have the new one yet (although they cashed the check pretty damn quick), so I called and left a message. They sent me a letter saying I hadn't sent in one of the forms (I KNEW I had), so, I filled out out again and sent it back. I think I got it the beginning of May. ah well...at least they sent it.

A few folks I know sent in aps and didn't get theirs for over 2 months. Typical government - hurry up and wait.

The Mail Lady just left. I have a fat envelope with all kinds of Fed Law books and a neat smaller blue envelope from the NLC with my C&R license!!!!
I am gonna be in soooooo much trouble!
For those wondering, it took just 4 weeks.
Jon

JonJ said:
The Mail Lady just left. I have a fat envelope with all kinds of Fed Law books and a neat smaller blue envelope from the NLC with my C&R license!!!!
I am gonna be in soooooo much trouble!
For those wondering, it took just 4 weeks.
Jon

The only thing you need to worry about now is having a check book the size of the paperwork you got to buy all those nifty toys. [lol]

Another reason to get a C&R

One of the MA requirements to get a Machine Gun license is to be a bona fide collector. One of the few ways to meet this requirement is to secure a C&R license. Another reason to run out and get your C&R.

Correct, the C&R FFL is prima fascia evidence of a "collector" and it is so written in the Regs or Law. However, I know of some licensing officers who scoff at this and claim that it is no reason/justification for them to issue a MG License.

That's assuming that your chief will issue them at all, they are totally discretionary.

I know of a number of chiefs who absolutely will NOT issue any green cards (MG License), no matter what.

My C&R is presumably on its way. I have been told that there are a number of MG licenses on Nantucket. Since there will never be such an item as an affordable BAR, I guess Iwon't be getting one.

My C&R FFL renewal arrived last week.

Sent app in just before July 4th holiday weekend. CC hit on 5th or 6th of July. FFL arrived early last week.

That's damn good turn-around time.

Back
Top Bottom