• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

I can't lay my hands on my renewal app easily but my take is that anything to do with "business" gets an N/A in that block, and "Collector" for title, nothing for hours, etc.

So I didn't renew my license when it expired, and I'm applying for a new one. The form has changed a lot since I sent in my first one. I'm wondering if someone else who formerly had a C&R has recently sent in a non-renewal (new) application. In particular, in the responsible person (personal information) section, questions 20 and 21 are about whether you have previously held an FFL (20) and whether you have been a responsible person on an FFL (21). I've only ever been on my previous C&R FFL - should I answer yes to both of these? It isn't clear to me whether 21 is about people who were only RP and not licensees. My gut feeling is to only check yes on 20, but I'm worried that they will consider my application incomplete.

Does anyone have a link to the MGL changes IRT FFL 03 C&R holders

There are none until 1/1/2021. Stop back then and if nothing else changes we can tell you what they are (or what they would have been if the AG or legistraitors "close the old gun loophole" between now and then).

Quick question, (I am sure its been addressed here but my search skills stink) I know not to sign my original license document but what date do I put on the copy next to printed name? The date of issue or the date I am sending or giving the copy to a dealer? Can I leave Position/Title blank?

I suggest that you do some reading or good quality training!

The BATFE Regs book (Q&A IIRC) state unequivocally that possession of a Dealer FFL does NOT give one the right to CCW anywhere, merely to conduct business of buying/selling.

In general, Fed Law can not overrule state laws. That's why NRs even with a NR LTC can NOT purchase anything legally in MA from a MA Dealer even though said dealer holds an FFL.

I've read about 40 pages of this thread, but I can't find my answer directly, but think this above quote may have. Can I ccw a pistol classified under the C&R?

sorry... yes, I was unclear. so I have a LTC-A. but, looking to carry a pistol that is not on the 'list'. Does the C&R enable that?

To expand on what @Len-2A Training said, the list only applies to what dealers sell. It's for consumer protection. The list does not affect FTF transfers or what handguns you carry. The only restriction on when (not what pistol) you can carry is what's printed on your LTC.

Other restrictions like post ban standard capacity magazines and the AWB applies to possession, not just carry.

Well, the brown Santa brought me a nice box this morning. Its my first dip into C&R buying (I won a Gun Broker auction). So I am filling out my bound book. Two questions,
1) Do I need to get the sellers license number? Or will their Company Name and address do for the Bound book?
2) I am assuming I now have to EFA-10 to register the firearm here in MA

Well, the brown Santa brought me a nice box this morning. Its my first dip into C&R buying (I won a Gun Broker auction). So I am filling out my bound book. Two questions,
1) Do I need to get the sellers license number? Or will their Company Name and address do for the Bound book?
2) I am assuming I now have to EFA-10 to register the firearm here in MA
1. If it was C&R and you sent them your C&R FFL they should have sent you their FFL. Some companies put their FFL # on their invoice. Worst case, call and ask them for it. It should go in your BB.
2. Yes, no info on source of the gun.

Looks like they made applying more complicated since I last printed out the application and procrastinated. 4 pages not 3

this is what I found here https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instructions-form-77cr-application-federal-firearms-license

"
This new application for a Federal Firearms License (FFL) should be used to apply for all FFL types, including type 03 Collector of Curios and Relics.

All Responsible Persons must complete and submit Part B of the application, which is the Responsible Person Questionnaire. Supplemental Part B Questionnaires can be found at the below link. "

I was trying to find out if it was still $30 and it is

Looks like they made applying more complicated since I last printed out the application and procrastinated. 4 pages not 3

this is what I found here https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instructions-form-77cr-application-federal-firearms-license

"
This new application for a Federal Firearms License (FFL) should be used to apply for all FFL types, including type 03 Collector of Curios and Relics.

All Responsible Persons must complete and submit Part B of the application, which is the Responsible Person Questionnaire. Supplemental Part B Questionnaires can be found at the below link. "

I was trying to find out if it was still $30 and it is
About time you're getting this!

Last edited:
Well, what do you know. They still mail out packets when you get your license. It just takes a while.

Mailed application: 2/6
Card charged: 2/10
Received License: 3/4
Received Package: 4/24

IMG_20170424_145901548_zpsvstwbevr.jpg

Two publications are missing because they are on back order:
* CD of the 516 page State Laws and Published Ordinances- Firearms (ATF P 5300.5), but you can download a .pdf of that.
* F3310.11: Firearms Inventory Theft Loss Report (must be for people with boats that have accidents [wink])

Also mentioned in an insert is the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide - 2014 Edition (ATF P 5300.4). It "features updated ATF rulings, general information and questions and answers." It's downloadable in .pdf, Kindle, iPhone & Android formats.

Thanks, this is good to know. I just received my license today without any other materials. Hopefully they are still sending them.

Anyone on the turn around for renewal? Going on three weeks now. Last time turn around was 10 days
I believe the new ammo law in CA has an exemption for ffl03 holders, so you probably have a shit ton of CA gun owners that have applied in the past few months clogging up the system.

I could use some advice from someone that has more experience with older firearms than I have. I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread.

Since I just received my C&R I'm looking to acquire a 1903A3 from an online retailer that is classified as very good with "excellent bore and mechanical condition". Would it be advisable to bring it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection, or should I just buy a go/no-go headspace gauge and check it myself? The place I'm buying it from doesn't check headspace, but they do have a 30 day inspection and return policy.

Whenever I buy a gun, new or used, I always detail strip it, clean and visually inspect the parts, then reassemble, but I've never checked the headspace. The only "old" gun that I own is an M1 that I purchased from the CMP, so I know that one had been properly inspected before I purchased it. I assume so anyway.

The gun I'm looking at is on the pricy side and I'm trying to not add too much additional cost to the purchase. Let me know if you think buying a set of gauges, along with a detail strip, clean, and inspection is sufficient? If the consensus is that I should take it to a gunsmith I'll go that route.

Thanks in advance for any input.

MarkT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom