EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

3/6/14 - Please see Post # 1940 for latest links (seems that they change them annually)!
EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

-------------------------------------

1/25/2011 - I am modifying this post as links are all broken (gov't changes URLs with every administration change in DC! [thinking]).

Info on the C&R FFL (Curios & Relics Collectors - NOT a dealer):

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Curios & Relics | ATF

Call the local BATFE office (Boston, Springfield, Hartford, etc.) and request the C&R FFL application, forms and booklets, or go to the following URL and download them (they now allow us to do this).

Forms - ATF F 5310.16 Instructions | ATF

Actual PDF forms are here:

F 5310.16 (F 7CR) - http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf
F 5310.20 - http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

NOTE: In spite of the application saying that ALL info MUST be supplied in item 9, the DIRECTIONS under Privacy Act (para 4) state clearly that the SSN is VOLUNTARY (and NOT mandatory). I don't suggest providing SSN, but that is just me. [I never did/do and have never been denied . . . except by MSP for BFS Instructor Certification and that is about to be resolved or face litigation in Federal Court.]

You can download or order the following pubs (they will be sent to you when you get your C&R FFL anyway):

Firearms | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/
ATF P 5300.11 & Update - C&R List (1972-2007)

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/index.html
ATF P 5300.5 - State Laws and Published Ordinance - 2008

Cost is $30.00/3 years. You MUST to notify your local Chief that you applied (by giving a copy of the form ONLY) but you do NOT need your local chief's approval!

There ARE record-keeping requirements and BATFE can audit your records, but that is rare unless they are looking for someone/something.

I'll discuss the reasons you should do this in a reply.

NOTE: If you are waiting a long, long time for your C&R FFL and want to check your application status, the number (as of 2012) is: (866) 662-2750 for the Licensing Center.

-----------------

ETA (7/18/2013) - If you move:
Take your current ORIGINAL 03 and mail it in to the address on it with a short signed letter, stating that you've moved. You should send a courtesy copy (so marked) to the chief of police in your new town (or the State Police/Sheriff IFF there IS no PD your my town - some tiny towns in some states don't have a local police force).
I’ve had my C&R for two years and the first week I had it found a 1963 4” Nickel Python and a 1970 8” blued Python, shipped straight to my house. Cost under two grand total. Talk about lighting in a bottle twice.

I am about to apply for my C&R and I have a question regarding the CLEO copy - I am assuming I need to mail that certified mail with a return receipt? Or can I simply drop off a copy at my local PD?

Also, aside from the FFL application located here https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...rearms-license-atf-form-531012531016/download are there any other forms or papework that needs to be filled out? I just found this thread and I am still reading through it so I apologize if these questions have been asked before
I always mail it certified as a CYA measure

I always mail it certified as a CYA measure
Waste of money. In large locations (big companies/gov't agencies of size), everything goes to the Mailroom, so some mail clerk signs for it . . . no guarantee that it ever gets to the department/person it is addressed to. In a small PD, the dispatcher on duty would likely sign for it.

I always put mine in a sealed envelope made out to the chief by name. One time I asked my chief a short time later if he had received/seen my application and he never even looked at it, he told me that he "must have" had his secretary file it.

So 1st class mail or dropping it at the desk of the dispatcher is just fine and perfectly adequate under law.

Waste of money. In large locations (big companies/gov't agencies of size), everything goes to the Mailroom, so some mail clerk signs for it . . . no guarantee that it ever gets to the department/person it is addressed to. In a small PD, the dispatcher on duty would likely sign for it.

I always put mine in a sealed envelope made out to the chief by name. One time I asked my chief a short time later if he had received/seen my application and he never even looked at it, he told me that he "must have" had his secretary file it.

So 1st class mail or dropping it at the desk of the dispatcher is just fine and perfectly adequate under law.
Ive always dropped it off at the station in a sealed envelope addressed to the CoP.

Handed mine to the CoP. He passed it to someone else and said "file this". Could have meant circular file for all I know. Is the CoP required to keep these?

Handed mine to the CoP. He passed it to someone else and said "file this". Could have meant circular file for all I know. Is the CoP required to keep these?
I just assume everyone that has an LTC in MA has a file at the local PD?

You guys are braver than me, I follow the letter of the law and send a copy certified mail. I also keep a copy with the return receipts stapled to it.

I don’t see it as a waste. Worth way more in piece of mind. Never know when you will find yourself in a “prove it”
Situation.

You guys are braver than me, I follow the letter of the law and send a copy certified mail. I also keep a copy with the return receipts stapled to it.
Please cite the US Code that specifies Certified Mail for C&R FFL applications?

I don’t see it as a waste. Worth way more in piece of mind. Never know when you will find yourself in a “prove it”
Situation.
Five years ago I wouldn't have worried about it. In today's clown world, I can see some woke clerical type at the PD making a project out of making things difficult for 2A people.

I follow the letter of the law, show me where it says certified mail [rofl]
And your assumption that it's MA is misplaced.
I drop off my NFA paperwork at the station in an envelope that says Chief on it, after that it's not my concern. OK, so I do make a note of the date and time I drop it off, but that's as far as I go.

Please cite the US Code that specifies Certified Mail for C&R FFL applications?
I follow the letter of the law, show me where it says certified mail [rofl]
And your assumption that it's MA is misplaced.
I drop off my NFA paperwork at the station in an envelope that says Chief on it, after that it's not my concern. OK, so I do make a note of the date and time I drop it off, but that's as far as I go.
You guys are making me dig… it’s late, and been months since I submitted…

Line 4, last sentence (this is from the application)…. Interpret it as you want, seemed like a few bucks was cheap insurance?
25B4F1DC-59FE-48EF-96F2-0897BE627ABD.png

You guys are making me dig… it’s late, and been months since I submitted…

Line 4, last sentence (this is from the application)…. Interpret it as you want, seemed like a few bucks was cheap insurance?
View attachment 568492
You are self-certifying that you did that. Nobody is going to check, this is a BATFE issue, not a MA issue.

Since none of us personally hand it to the chief, if you are that paranoid, you should get a Notarized receipt where the chief signs it with a Notary present. Since a mail clerk or dispatcher receiving it and signing a receipt is absolutely no proof that the document ever passed over the chief's desk.

You are self-certifying that you did that. Nobody is going to check, this is a BATFE issue, not a MA issue.

Since none of us personally hand it to the chief, if you are that paranoid, you should get a Notarized receipt where the chief signs it with a Notary present. Since a mail clerk or dispatcher receiving it and signing a receipt is absolutely no proof that the document ever passed over the chief's desk.
Hey man, you do you. I’m not looking to argue, you asked where and I just pointed it out.

I’m not a lawyer, and I’m not broke, so a couple of bucks is worth it to me. To each their own.

I stopped by my local PD on Saturday and I dropped off a copy of my application along with a cover letter addressed to the the chief. The officer who took the application assured me they will pass it onto the chief, and also asked me if I had a LTC. I also stopped by the post office and dropped off the other part of the application in the mail. So far so good, I will post a quick update once I get my license.

If a friend is visiting me in MA from out of state, has a C&R, and wants to buy my C&R rifle, can it be done FTF? I *think* the only issue would be him possessing a firearm in MA (until he drives out) without an LTC/FID, right? Is it fine federally, since he's an FFL?

If a friend is visiting me in MA from out of state, has a C&R, and wants to buy my C&R rifle, can it be done FTF? I *think* the only issue would be him possessing a firearm in MA (until he drives out) without an LTC/FID, right? Is it fine federally, since he's an FFL?
AFAIK Federally you're covered, but state law says you're not since he's got no LTC or FID and you can't legally transfer it to him in the state. Let him buy it and just ship it to him.

With the upcoming (highly likely) changes to MA laws coming… is it worth it to keep my FFL 03? I use it a lot right now, but if I can’t get C&R’s delivered to my door, is there really a point?

Question for Len (or other 03 Gurus) that Goggle has been unable to answer: Can you have "Responsible Persons" on an 03 FFL besides the applicant?

Or is that something exclusive to the other types of FFLs? 🤔

Question for Len (or other 03 Gurus) that Goggle has been unable to answer: Can you have "Responsible Persons" on an 03 FFL besides the applicant?

Or is that something exclusive to the other types of FFLs? 🤔
Exclusive to other types of FFL. Each person has to get their own C&R FFL.

With the upcoming (highly likely) changes to MA laws coming… is it worth it to keep my FFL 03? I use it a lot right now, but if I can’t get C&R’s delivered to my door, is there really a point?

I've been wondering the same thing - mine just expired. I believe Brownells still offers a discount to C&R holders. There used to be more retailers that did, but...

Back
Top Bottom