1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Every day backpack/bug out bag

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by je25ff, Jun 8, 2019.

1. je25ff

je25ff

Can anyone recommend a good every day backpack that can fit a laptop and misc. things but also has molle, waterproof, and pockets for tools, etc. for bug out purposes?

2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

so many people get hung up at the airport, trying to get their bag onto the plane, but having some shell from the range stuck in a seam somewhere, and end up getting jacked up for it.

I would keep the "bug out bag" separate from anything you use otherwise!

jpk, Choctaw, Grendizer138 and 6 others like this.
  3. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Top line info. Buy 2 bags, keep one for each purpose.

4. xtry51

xtry51

JayMcB and je25ff like this.
  5. je25ff

je25ff

6. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Don't know that I would want to carry my BOB on me every day.

I have an EDC bag from Vertx (which is excellent quality). That carries all my work stuff and doesn't overtly look 'tactical'.

And a 5.11 pack I keep in the back of the truck to get home if SHTF.

je25ff likes this.
  7. xtry51

xtry51

I have two in vehicles as Bobs. One I travel for work with (including flying 50+ times a year). And one I use for backpacking on 1-2 night stays.

8. gxx9sdb

gxx9sdb

Goruck

Junior314, Brewer and je25ff like this.
  9. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

10. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I like my 3V gear packs.

je25ff likes this.
  11. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

je25ff likes this.
  12. atmay

atmay NES Member

I’ve been using Osprey packs for a few years now, for every day (work), travel, and hiking. My current bag is a Hikelite 26, which is too small for a laptop. My last bag, which I only replaced because it was too big (I was carrying around too much crap), was one of the Quasar series, and it had a laptop sleeve.

je25ff likes this.
  13. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

If/when my current EDC bag fails I think I’ll try goruck. They are expensive but I’ve heard nothing but good things.

My current bag had stood up to travel and every day abuse for close to 3 years now with no issues.

je25ff likes this.
  14. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

This is truth here. Besides, isn't the whole purpose of a bug out bag that you have it packed and ready to do at all times, meaning it should be set aside from daily use in the first place?

Anyway, if OP is looking for a good bugout backpack, the first question would be "how much you got to spend"? You can go anywhere from yesteryear surplus to bleeding edge materials, which will also directly affect pricing. My current favorite is Direct Action Dragon Egg II. 500D Cordura, 25L, and just enough molle/pockets/hydro cut away stuff to make it useful as a gear bag. Downside is that it is pricey at about $130. I'm sure that alone will get people saying "but you can get XZY bag for like $40!?!

je25ff likes this.
  15. xtry51

xtry51

I'll add the Condor has a pouch for a Camelbak. I keep one in mine just empty with some water treatment tabs stuck in with the bladder.

The issue with flying all the time is you need to do your best to compress a BOB into something that a) you can bring on a plane and b) is easy to transport keeping in mind you are hopping around.

Perfect example is my schedule next week. Monday-Friday I have 6 flights to 6 states putting me at the farthest point 1,400 miles from home. I want to have some essentials with me in case I can't fly home a la 9/11 all flights being grounded for an indefinite period of time. Or even more mundane, travel like that Nov-April and see how many snowstorms you encounter that close airports, especially in the Midwest.

With my travel schedule I've been stranded on interstates overnight in snowstorms and at regional airports for two days. It happens when you don't get to drive to work every day essentially within hiking distance to your home.

je25ff likes this.
  16. atmay

atmay NES Member

What good is it if you don’t have it with you?

And I think that having what you need to make it through an event like a power outage at work, unexpected night away from home, stuck in a ditch because the car broke down, etc. is infinitely more useful than any “I’m gunna live off the land when WW3 kicks off” bullshit....and is easily carried with you on a daily basis along with the other stuff you need for a day at work. Clean socks, undies, t-shirt, few hundred calories worth of food, a liter of so of packaged water...

je25ff and bsaks like this.
  17. bsaks

bsaks NES Life Member NES Member

several have mentioned already, but agree that your EDC bag and an actual BOB should be tow different bags. Last thing you want if you really need to bug out is have to think about what's in your backpack and repack necessities.

Maybe what you're thinking is more an EDC bag that also has some get home gear in case your stranded when SHTF? That is going to be a totally different thought exercise when planning what to put in the bag than building a true BOB.

Before dumping money into expensive bags, think carefully about the specific scenarios you're planning for, and get gear appropriate for the situation. If you're flying a lot, you'll be limited by TSA. If you're driving long distances, you're much more flexible in what you can fit into a car trunk. Do you wear suit/dress shoes to work every day? You'll need to pack clothes and good shoes, which means a bag that can fit that.

For me, I'd really narrow down the scenarios I'm trying to plan for, figure out good gear that helps me in those situations (that I know how to use), and then find just an affordable, solid, durable bag to stow it all in. You'll likely go through several bags as you figure out what works best, so putting in thought on the first two areas is effort betters spent. Also, don't break the bank on a bag at the expense of the items that go into it. No point having a $300 goruck that doesn't have the gear inside it that will actually help you when SHTF.

je25ff likes this.
  18. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Realistically speaking, are you going to have a fully loaded bugout bag on your person at all times? Commendable if that's something you can pull offf, but mine stay at home (one there) and in the car (backup). I figure I'll need to hit home at some point anyway to open the gun safe if it really came down to it.

je25ff likes this.
  19. atmay

atmay NES Member

If by fully loaded BOB, you mean my EDC backpack with enough to get me through a day or two stuck away from home, then yes. Yes I do.

If by fully loaded BOB you mean some sort of overpacked bullshit so I can hike off into the mountains when TEOTWAWKI happens, then no. That shit is f***ing stupid.

je25ff and xtry51 like this.
  20. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

I saw a youtube video over the weekend where someone was using a bug out roll. I thought it was an interesting concept. Rather pricey though.

je25ff likes this.
  21. xtry51

xtry51

This. I view a BOB as something you keep at home for legit big emergencies. For NE that would be ice storms, hurricanes and the rare tornado for the most part.

In my particular situation of traveling 75% of year for work, my travel bag is basically a compressed BOB/EDC. The downside for me is I need to check a bag always becuase if you want to carry a multitool, knife, etc it automatically can't be brought as carry on.

je25ff likes this.
  22. atmay

atmay NES Member

I try and keep a few days worth of stuff in the car - food, water, clothing. In the winter, I keep a jacket.

Personally, I see little to no value added in having a pre-packed bag for most of what will likely happen to us here. It’ll either be localized enough that we can get to family with just the clothes on our back, or won’t be so sudden that we can’t take 10 minutes to grab some essentials.

I find it far more important to make sure home is stocked to get through being stuck there for an extended period. We were stuck due to a downed tree once for a week. That sucked.

je25ff likes this.
  23. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

If you look at the example pack I mentioned, it is only 26L. That's daypack EDC only, not a mountain excursion to avoid the zombie apocalypse.

je25ff and xtry51 like this.
  24. atmay

atmay NES Member

In that case then, the answer is yes. I carry my backpack, which also happens to be a 26L, more or less everywhere, for both the purpose of carrying whatever shit I need that day, and a small/reasonable stash of supplies in case things go mildly awry while I’m away from home.

je25ff likes this.
  25. bfm

bfm NES Member

Just got two new ones to replace the second one I ever bought from them, first one they made under their own brand. Over a decade old and still works fine, but has spend so much time outside over the years that it went from green to a dull bleached out greyish color. Got two in different sizes to finally replace it. Everything on it works great still though, no rips and all the zippers still work great.

je25ff likes this.
  26. je25ff

je25ff

I'm VERY wary of any backpack or gear that is made in China AND has a low price tag.

I'll take the advice and keep a BOB and practical/work/laptop bag separate. I already have two backpacks I keep in my truck at all times. One has food, tools, fishing kit, paracord, etc. etc. and the other is full of medical gear that has Israeli bandages, sutures, iodide, splints, etc. etc but neither are really appropriate for a laptop and every day stuff. I really ought to consolidate survival and medical gear into one bag as well. No way I would be able to carry both bags and not be gassed after a few miles.

27. bsaks

bsaks NES Life Member NES Member

Novelty. You'd have to unroll the whole thing to effectively get at stuff. It's like someone looked at those cheap hanging toiletry knits and was like yeah that but for EVERYTHING I'm carrying. Imaging being at the dome after Katrina. You're surrounded by people who didn't bring shit with them. And here you are unrolling all your shiny new survival gear... in any bug out situation, discretion is key. Also why I avoid things overly tactical looking.

28. bfm

bfm NES Member

Was looking at a couple Mystery Ranch pack a few weeks ago. Very well made. Will probably go with them when I need a new three day pack.

29. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

Big bags get filled with bull shit you don't need real fast. I use a LBT-8005A for my daily work stuff, I can carry my laptop, 2 water bottles, a small technician's tool kit, multi meter, and all of my chargers/cables/external HDD/etc, or when I fly, I dump the tools and put 2 days with of socks, underwear, tee-shirts, and hygiene stuff in case my main bag gets lost.

If you really want some kind of ninja kit that you will lug around for 3 days and then end up dumping because its too heavy, the Kifaru EE pack is pretty cool. The shoulder straps tuck away, and can be docked to a larger molle pack so you can leave your BOB in the truck and just take the EE pack into the office with just the work stuff you actually need.

atmay likes this.
  30. atmay

atmay NES Member

This is why I switched to the bag I have now. I don’t have room to carry bullshit. My old bag, I had room for stuff, so it all came with me.

edmorseiii likes this.