Ever wanted to try USPSA Shooting? (2017 Edition)

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON POSTPONEMENT

It's that time of year again! I know this is a lot of cut n' paste from previous years but hopefully we get some new eyes on it this year or some of you that wanted to take the class in past years but couldn't will be able to make it. I've seen a couple of "I want to try competitive shooting" threads lately so let's get more new blood into the sport! I never really wandered down to the competitive shooting forums here on NES until I stumbled upon this class at my club 6 years ago and got hooked on the action shooting sports. With that in mind I have posted this announcement here in "General" for the past couple of years so it would be seen by a lot of folks who hadn't even thought about getting into competitive shooting. We've had a good number of NES members through the class since I started posting it here and hopefully the trend will continue this year!

Once a year Hopkinton Sportsmans does an Introduction to USPSA class at the club. If you've ever thought about trying your hand at "action" pistol competition this class will teach you everything you need to know to be safe and comfortable at your first match. It's a two day class on [STRIKE=March 18-19]March 18-19[/STRIKE] April 22-23 and covers all the range commands, procedures, safety rules, scoring, how to breakdown a stage, etc, and includes a simulated match on the second day that is run just like the real thing. oh, and lunch is included both days in the class fee (short money, still just $75). We will also be giving each student who completes the class a voucher for 1 free USPSA match at Hopkinton ($20 value) just to make sure people get fully addicted to the sport . After taking this class you will be 100% comfortable walking up to the registration table at your first match, whether it's at Hopkinton or another club.

This year we will be using Practiscore for registration (CLICK HERE TO REGISTER) *there is no need to register for a practiscore site account to register for the class*. You will still need to snail mail over a check/MO for the fee to complete registration. Feel free to post here or PM me with questions. You can also stop by the Hopkinton Sportsman's Association table at the upcoming Marlboro Gun Show this weekend Jan 28-29, we have a setup there each year with pamphlets, videos, and some gear to check out. If independent reviews are your thing then there are some comments from students in last years thread that you can check out. Some additional info can be found on our team site.

Some FAQ on the course:
Q: "How good do I need to be with a firearm to take this class?"
A: You don't need to be a crack shot but you do need to be comfortable with the operation of your gun. Safety is the #1 priority, we don't care if you hit any of the targets but you do need to keep the rounds on the range and operate the gun in a safe manner at all times.

Q: "What do I need to have for the class"
A: You need a safe and functional handgun or pistol caliber carbine rifle, at least 3 magazines (or speedloaders of some kind for revo), a holster that fully covers the trigger (preferably OWB), a sturdy belt to hold it all together, and 200 rounds of ammo. Some loaner gear is available on a first come first served basis.

Q: "What kind of gun can I use"
A: USPSA has division for just about any modern handgun from 9mm - .45 or pistol caliber carbine rifle. For handguns something in the mid to full size range works best.

Q: "How is this different from other action pistol sports?"
A: The most common sport to USPSA is IDPA, and many shoot in both types of matches. IDPA tries to focus on more "real world defensive" scenarios and tactics, USPSA is just about having fun and challenging yourself.

As usual I'll include a slightly self-deprecating video of me at the first match I shot after taking the class many moons ago:

And one of me from last year's Area 7 Championship match up in ME, older and fatter but at least I'm shooting a little quicker and remember when to reload now...most of the time:

If this doesn't look like your thing then I highly recommend looking into one of the other formats available locally. Steel Challenge is low movement and low pressure, IDPA (explained above), even pin/plate matches. All ways to get more trigger time and keep range time interesting!

Hope to see you on in the class or at a match!

Peter (aka BostonBullit)

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this class a few years back and it was awesome! It was taught by several of the "Heavy Hitters" all of which are excellent shooters and have superb presentation skills.

The Heavy Hitters are some of the best people you'll ever meet in the shooting sports. They have the best props, excellent ranges, top notch stage designers, RO's and MDs. For $75 bucks you're getting getting at least $250 in value!

And BTW - The lunch was excellent too!

Thanks Eddie!

If you really want to get into the sport this class is not a prerequisite, it's just a really good jump start. A few local clubs run practices open to the public where you can learn the basics including the range commands and safety rules. New shooters are always welcome at matches, just tell the person at registration your new and they'll set you up with someone to help you get through the day. The Hopkinton crew just wrapped it all into one weekend class (long before I joined) to go through everything at once. A few other clubs run similar classes so if our schedule doesn't work for you keep your eyes open for other classes and check out the NES Competition forums for info on practices etc

I took this class last year, great instructors, and great people. It's a really low stress way to learn the ropes. I joined the club after doing this class, the Heavy Hitters are really easy to talk to and willing to help you through the matches as a beginner. Highly recommend this class!

I took this class last year as well.
I was always a little nervous about trying action type shooting, but these guys made it simple, fun, easy, and most of all safe.
After taking the class I shot several matches, and met some great folks and had a lot of fun.
I'm not gonna win any prizes (really bad hip, can't run), but I'll always have fun doing this!
Try it, you'll like it!

Last edited:
If you're heading to the Marlborough gun show this weekend stop by and say hi...I'll be there tomorrow and some of the other folks (SJan and Idoktr I think) are there today. We're usually over toward the concession stand side of the building with the HSA booth.

If you're heading to the Marlborough gun show this weekend stop by and say hi...I'll be there tomorrow and some of the other folks (SJan and Idoktr I think) are there today. We're usually over toward the concession stand side of the building with the HSA booth.

I was there for most of the day today. We had several people very interested in USPSA and our class. Many were drawn in by Stew's open gun that was on display.

I will be one of the instructors for the class, as I have been for a few years now, looking forward to getting a few more addicted to this fun game.

Sean can teach it to you in a day...but it will take you years to learn it! Maybe even longer as he keeps getting better.....

When it comes to shooting better than Sjan, the best advice I can give you is to lower you're expectations! [smile]

I was there yesterday with SJan and we had lots of interested people.
As for shooting like Sean, you better be young, in shape and have lots of time to practice. If you are old like me, just come to have fun and enjoy watching Sean shoot!!

Whens the deadline to register? Not sure on my schedule that weekend yet
No particular deadline, but we turn people away when we fill up. Based on past years, we generally don't fill until a month or so before class - but we already have 4 registrations which is 4 more than we had this time last year.

My 16 year old son took the class last year and loved it. The guys at Hopkinton did a great job. Unfortunately, he then went and got a job working weekends and never got to shoot any matches. I saved a lot of money on ammo last summer...

We have a few spots still open but is filling fast. If you have interest, see the link in the first post.

And now we're officially full for this year. If you still want to attend you can use the link in the first post and sign up for the wait list. If someone can't make it I'll work through that first come first serve!

We have a bunch more NES members signed up this year, can't wait for class

Gotta get my check in. Can I just drop it off at the club to the attention of HSA intro to uspsa?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

And now we're officially full for this year. If you still want to attend you can use the link in the first post and sign up for the wait list. If someone can't make it I'll work through that first come first serve!

We have a bunch more NES members signed up this year, can't wait for class

If on the wait list, do I still need to send in payment by March 1st?

If on the wait list, do I still need to send in payment by March 1st?

I'd send it. Worst case, everyone who called "in" sends their money and we won't be able to squeeze you into the class. (You lose use of $75 for a couple weeks, get refund)

Best result is you were on the wait-list and have paid so you get the slot. [smile]

Question: I've an M&P full size that I'm planning to bring. One issue, if I remember the basics of the rules correctly, is that after a CoF the command is "Unload, show clear, hammer down." The pistol in question has a mag disconnect, thus I can't drop the hammer (firing pin, whatever) without an empty mag in the gun. Is it worth removing the disconnect for this (IIRC I'd have to cut a spring in the trigger assembly)? Or since I'll need more than three mags, just buy a few extras and leave one empty?

Q: "What kind of gun can I use"
A: USPSA has division for just about any modern handgun from 9mm - .45 or pistol caliber carbine rifle. For handguns something in the mid to full size range works best.

Peter (aka BostonBullit)
I didn't know they had a pistol caliber carbine class. Is this new? Is it very popular?

Ive been trying to justify a CX4 purchase this just may do that.

Question: I've an M&P full size that I'm planning to bring. One issue, if I remember the basics of the rules correctly, is that after a CoF the command is "Unload, show clear, hammer down." The pistol in question has a mag disconnect, thus I can't drop the hammer (firing pin, whatever) without an empty mag in the gun. Is it worth removing the disconnect for this (IIRC I'd have to cut a spring in the trigger assembly)? Or since I'll need more than three mags, just buy a few extras and leave one empty?

The commands are "If you are finished unload and show clear" and then "If clear, hammer down and holster." and yes you do have to pull the trigger to drop the hammer; no decocker. For mag disconnect guns you should keep an extra empty mag handy. WARN THE RO that your gun has a mag safety disconnect, TRIPLE CHECK that the mag you're putting in is empty, and proceed with the process.

I didn't know they had a pistol caliber carbine class. Is this new? Is it very popular?

Ive been trying to justify a CX4 purchase this just may do that.

PCC is a "provisional" division that they added last year, meaning it's not fully officially officialized yet. You can shoot it at some matches and the scores will go into the national system for classification ETC and they are shooting it at the National Championship along with another provisional division called Carry Optics. It's popular but some clubs are struggling with club rules regarding "rifles" in "pistol pits" and some USPSA folks are struggling with rifles in their "handgun" matches. My crystal ball says that PCC isn't going anywhere...not sure about Carry Optics.

PCC is a "provisional" division that they added last year, meaning it's not fully officially officialized yet. You can shoot it at some matches and the scores will go into the national system for classification ETC and they are shooting it at the National Championship along with another provisional division called Carry Optics. It's popular but some clubs are struggling with club rules regarding "rifles" in "pistol pits" and some USPSA folks are struggling with rifles in their "handgun" matches. My crystal ball says that PCC isn't going anywhere...not sure about Carry Optics.
Ah got ya thanks...

Back
Top Bottom