Ever wanted to try USPSA (2019 edition)

It's that time of year again! This is my seventh year posting, hopefully we get some new eyes on it this year or some of you that wanted to take the class in past years but couldn't will be able to make it. The format is a little different this year so please read below even if you've read this post in past years.

I always see a couple of "I want to try competitive shooting" threads on the forum here so let's get more new blood into the sport! I never really wandered down to the competitive shooting forums here on NES until I stumbled upon this class at my club 8 years ago and got hooked on the action shooting sports. With that in mind I have posted this announcement here in "General" for the past couple of years so it would be seen by a lot of folks who hadn't even thought about getting into competitive shooting. We've had a good number of NES members through the class since I started posting it here and hopefully the trend will continue this year!

Once a year Hopkinton Sportsmans does an Introduction to USPSA class at the club. If you've ever thought about trying your hand at "action" pistol competition this class will teach you everything you need to know to be safe and comfortable at your first match. We have changed the format this year and it will now be a one day class. You'll still get all the important info but we decided to cut some of the extra/repetitive stuff and basic live fire session out of the class. We're hoping that the single day format will make it easier for some who want to take the class but can't make the full weekend investment.

The class will be on Saturday April 13th and covers all the range commands, procedures, safety rules, scoring, etc, and includes a simulated match that is run just like the real thing. Lunch (pizza) is included in the class fee (even shorter money, now just $50). We will also be giving each student who completes the class a voucher for 1 free USPSA match at Hopkinton ($25 value) just to make sure people get fully addicted to the sport . After taking this class you will be 100% comfortable walking up to the registration table at your first match, whether it's at Hopkinton or another club.

We will be using Practiscore for registration again this year (CLICK HERE TO REGISTER). You will still need to snail mail over a check/MO for the fee to complete registration. Feel free to post here or PM me with questions. If independent reviews are your thing then there are some comments from students in a previous thread that you can check out. Some additional info can be found on our team site.

Some FAQ on the course:
Q: "How good do I need to be with a firearm to take this class?"
A: This is not an introduction to handguns class. You don't need to be a crack shot but you do need to be comfortable with the operation of your gun. Safety is the #1 priority, we don't care if you hit any of the targets but you do need to keep the rounds on the range and operate the gun in a safe manner at all times.

Q: "What do I need to have for the class"
A: You need a safe and functional handgun or pistol caliber carbine rifle, at least 3 magazines (or speedloaders of some kind for revo), a holster that fully covers the trigger (preferably OWB), a sturdy belt to hold it all together, and 200 rounds of ammo. Eye and ear protection is mandatory, just like you should be wearing anytime you go to the range. Some loaner gear is available on a first come first served basis.

Q: "What kind of gun can I use"
A: USPSA has division for just about any modern handgun from 9mm - .45 or pistol caliber carbine rifle. For handguns something in the mid to full size range works best.

Q: "How is this different from other action pistol sports?"
A: The most common sport to USPSA is IDPA, and many shoot in both types of matches. IDPA tries to focus on more "real world defensive" scenarios and tactics, USPSA is just about having fun and challenging yourself.

As usual I'll include a slightly self-deprecating video of me at the first match I shot after taking the class many moons ago:

View: https://youtu.be/SKmW10-bV1c

And another after I'd been shooting matches for a little bit:

View: https://youtu.be/4KtOXlyzza8

Hope to see some of you at the class,
Peter

Last edited:
I’d love to take this, but Saturday’s are tough with non stop kid activities.

Believe me I know...I usually miss at least one game to teach the class and then more to help run matches in the Spring and Fall :(

Weds nights are open practice if you can't make the class but want to get into the sport! But be warned that all matches are on weekends, usually Sundays. We are an exception as we run our matches on Sat.

It's that time of year again! This is my seventh year posting, hopefully we get some new eyes on it this year or some of you that wanted to take the class in past years but couldn't will be able to make it. The format is a little different this year so please read below even if you've read this post in past years.

I always see a couple of "I want to try competitive shooting" threads on the forum here so let's get more new blood into the sport! I never really wandered down to the competitive shooting forums here on NES until I stumbled upon this class at my club 8 years ago and got hooked on the action shooting sports. With that in mind I have posted this announcement here in "General" for the past couple of years so it would be seen by a lot of folks who hadn't even thought about getting into competitive shooting. We've had a good number of NES members through the class since I started posting it here and hopefully the trend will continue this year!

Once a year Hopkinton Sportsmans does an Introduction to USPSA class at the club. If you've ever thought about trying your hand at "action" pistol competition this class will teach you everything you need to know to be safe and comfortable at your first match. We have changed the format this year and it will now be a one day class. You'll still get all the important info but we decided to cut some of the extra/repetitive stuff and basic live fire session out of the class. We're hoping that the single day format will make it easier for some who want to take the class but can't make the full weekend investment.

The class will be on Saturday April 13th and covers all the range commands, procedures, safety rules, scoring, etc, and includes a simulated match that is run just like the real thing. Lunch (pizza) is included in the class fee (even shorter money, now just $50). We will also be giving each student who completes the class a voucher for 1 free USPSA match at Hopkinton ($25 value) just to make sure people get fully addicted to the sport . After taking this class you will be 100% comfortable walking up to the registration table at your first match, whether it's at Hopkinton or another club.

We will be using Practiscore for registration again this year (CLICK HERE TO REGISTER). You will still need to snail mail over a check/MO for the fee to complete registration. Feel free to post here or PM me with questions. If independent reviews are your thing then there are some comments from students in a previous thread that you can check out. Some additional info can be found on our team site.

Some FAQ on the course:
A: This is not an introduction to handguns class. You don't need to be a crack shot but you do need to be comfortable with the operation of your gun. Safety is the #1 priority, we don't care if you hit any of the targets but you do need to keep the rounds on the range and operate the gun in a safe manner at all times.

A: You need a safe and functional handgun or pistol caliber carbine rifle, at least 3 magazines (or speedloaders of some kind for revo), a holster that fully covers the trigger (preferably OWB), a sturdy belt to hold it all together, and 200 rounds of ammo. Some loaner gear is available on a first come first served basis.

A: USPSA has division for just about any modern handgun from 9mm - .45 or pistol caliber carbine rifle. For handguns something in the mid to full size range works best.

A: The most common sport to USPSA is IDPA, and many shoot in both types of matches. IDPA tries to focus on more "real world defensive" scenarios and tactics, USPSA is just about having fun and challenging yourself.

As usual I'll include a slightly self-deprecating video of me at the first match I shot after taking the class many moons ago:

Peter

Could you please indicate some of the gear you recommend and what to stay away from based on your own experience etc?

To start out.. A good belt, an OWB retention holster and at least 3 mag pouches. Take that gear to a match and give it a try.
If you're having a good time talk to the guys you're shooting with. Then compare their recommendations with the thickness
of your wallet.

an OWB retention holster and at least 3 mag pouches.
I think you mean "non-retention". It's very rare to see retention on a competition holster, and is sometimes going to end up being a safety issue if you're talking a SERPA or a universal "Uncle Mike's".

A good starter holster is one that's made specifically for your gun model out of Kydex or rigid leather, that does not collapse when the gun is removed. As you get into it, you can re-evaluate if it's "optimal" but this holster will always be useful for you.

Mag pouches don't really matter until you're better. The cheapest universal open-top, no retention, pouches are fine.

Believe me I know...I usually miss at least one game to teach the class and then more to help run matches in the Spring and Fall :(

Weds nights are open practice if you can't make the class but want to get into the sport! But be warned that all matches are on weekends, usually Sundays. We are an exception as we run our matches on Sat.

Thanks - Hopkinton is pretty far, I'm on the north shore. No problem for a weekend but weekdays would be tough. When the kids get a bit older I'll have more time. I think there's matches closer to me, Woburn Sportsman has something I know.

What I meant was something that would hold the gun in place in an active situation.
I also see many shooters running the newer serpas in uspsa and idpa. I have one for
my glock 34 and 22. Never seen the problem......

What I meant was something that would hold the gun in place in an active situation.
I also see many shooters running the newer serpas in uspsa and idpa. I have one for

I used a Safariland with thumb release for my Sig classes (with P226) and that seems pretty good. Wish they made it for CZs.

We do go over gear during the class but it's a catch-22 right? As has been said a good molded kydex holster made for your make/model gun and without active retention is the best way to go. These can usually be found on Amazon for $25ish. Belt mounted is best (vs paddle). OWB means "outside the waistband" as opposed to a concealed carry holster. For belts the best way to go is a inner/outer belt made specifically for competition like the DoubleAlpha, CR Speed, or Shooters Connection house brand but any sturdy leather belt will work. Mag carriers are easy, simple molded kydex with a belt look attachment. enough to carry two mags min, more is better depending on your division.

You want to avoid any leather stuff or mag carriers with flaps etc. If you have that stuff it's fine, bring it to class and it'll get you through the day but you'll learn why it's not recommended ;)

Oh, you'll also need eye and ear protection, I'll add that to the OP.

As for the bat - that's Lucille....theme of the Area Championship match that year was movies/TV shows and that was The Walking Dead stage. Hopkinton sponsored a MIB theme stage loosely meant to be like the indoor range scene when Will Smith first goes for his "interview".

Some FAQ on the course:

A: You need a safe and functional handgun or pistol caliber carbine rifle, at least 3 magazines (or speedloaders of some kind for revo), a holster that fully covers the trigger (preferably OWB), a sturdy belt to hold it all together, and 200 rounds of ammo. Eye and ear protection is mandatory, just like you should be wearing anytime you go to the range. Some loaner gear is available on a first come first served basis.

Peter

I talked to a someone at the Marlboro show this afternoon. Looking forward to learning more and visiting a wed class to observe.

Last edited:

SERPA is widely banned in IDPA and law enforcement. I won't try to convince you it is unsafe if you like it, but places won't let you use them. I would not recommend anyone buy one because they'll have to buy another one eventually to be able to use it in competitions.

Thanks - Hopkinton is pretty far, I'm on the north shore. No problem for a weekend but weekdays would be tough. When the kids get a bit older I'll have more time. I think there's matches closer to me, Woburn Sportsman has something I know.
Not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to clarify:
Woburn has IDPA matches on Saturdays - all IDPA matches (Harvard, Worcester, Old Colony are the clubs I shoot at) are on Saturdays as well.

If Sunday's are better for you, then USPSA would be best as every club that offers USPSA matches (except Hopkinton) are on Sunday's.

registered. excited to finally get into competitive shooting after pushing it off for years. where do I mail registration fee to?

Looks like a lot of fun, but it’s the worst time of year for me and it’s a haul from Acton.

Can you shoot .22LR or .380ACP? The post above says everything from 9mm to .45ACP, so I wasn’t sure if smaller rounds are permitted.

Looks like a lot of fun, but it’s the worst time of year for me and it’s a haul from Acton.

Can you shoot .22LR or .380ACP? The post above says everything from 9mm to .45ACP, so I wasn’t sure if smaller rounds are permitted.

.22lr is fine for Steel Challenge - there are many divisions for rimfire (Steel Challenge is part of USPSA and is more stationary).

Update: We are almost out of spots. If you registered you should have a confirmation email, I’d you didnt get one let me know ASAP.

9mm is the smallest caliber that can be used. There’s a few reasons for that but from a purely practical standpoint it’s because stages may have falling steel and a 22 won’t knock it over. You may be tempted to say “just score me when you see or hear the hit!” but it’s not that simple, that piece of steel may activate another target etc etc.

If a 30 min drive is too far USPSA is probably not for you!
Yeah really! I'm in Gloucester on the ass end of 128 and the closest club that offers any action shooting is Woburn Sportsmans Association (40 min) and about the same distance for Mystic Valley in Malden. All other clubs are an hour or more away. Hopkinton and Pioneer Sportsmans are the furthest clubs I go to for matches and boy is it well worth the drive!

Yeah really! I'm in Gloucester on the ass end of 128 and the closest club that offers any action shooting is Woburn Sportsmans Association (40 min) and about the same distance for Mystic Valley in Malden. All other clubs are an hour or more away. Hopkinton and Pioneer Sportsmans are the furthest clubs I go to for matches and boy is it well worth the drive!

It's a 40 min drive to anywhere from Glosta.

Back
Top Bottom