• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever wanted to try USPSA (2018 edition)

It's that time of year again! This is my fifth year posting, hopefully we get some new eyes on it this year or some of you that wanted to take the class in past years but couldn't will be able to make it...especially those that got shafted by last years date change due to crappy weather.

I've seen a couple of "I want to try competitive shooting" threads so let's get more new blood into the sport! I never really wandered down to the competitive shooting forums here on NES until I stumbled upon this class at my club 7 years ago and got hooked on the action shooting sports. With that in mind I have posted this announcement here in "General" for the past couple of years so it would be seen by a lot of folks who hadn't even thought about getting into competitive shooting. We've had a good number of NES members through the class since I started posting it here and hopefully the trend will continue this year!

Once a year Hopkinton Sportsmans does an Introduction to USPSA class at the club. If you've ever thought about trying your hand at "action" pistol competition this class will teach you everything you need to know to be safe and comfortable at your first match. It's a two day class on April 21-22 and covers all the range commands, procedures, safety rules, scoring, how to breakdown a stage, etc, and includes a simulated match on the second day that is run just like the real thing. oh, and lunch is included both days in the class fee (short money, still just $75). We will also be giving each student who completes the class a voucher for 1 free USPSA match at Hopkinton ($20 value) just to make sure people get fully addicted to the sport . After taking this class you will be 100% comfortable walking up to the registration table at your first match, whether it's at Hopkinton or another club.

This year we will be using Practiscore for registration (CLICK HERE TO REGISTER) *there is no need to register for a practiscore site account to register for the class*. You will still need to snail mail over a check/MO for the fee to complete registration. Feel free to post here or PM me with questions. If independent reviews are your thing then there are some comments from students in last years thread that you can check out. Some additional info can be found on our team site.

Some FAQ on the course:
Q: "How good do I need to be with a firearm to take this class?"
A: You don't need to be a crack shot but you do need to be comfortable with the operation of your gun. Safety is the #1 priority, we don't care if you hit any of the targets but you do need to keep the rounds on the range and operate the gun in a safe manner at all times.

Q: "What do I need to have for the class"
A: You need a safe and functional handgun or pistol caliber carbine rifle, at least 3 magazines (or speedloaders of some kind for revo), a holster that fully covers the trigger (preferably OWB), a sturdy belt to hold it all together, and 200 rounds of ammo. Some loaner gear is available on a first come first served basis.

Q: "What kind of gun can I use"
A: USPSA has division for just about any modern handgun from 9mm - .45 or pistol caliber carbine rifle. For handguns something in the mid to full size range works best.

Q: "How is this different from other action pistol sports?"
A: The most common sport to USPSA is IDPA, and many shoot in both types of matches. IDPA tries to focus on more "real world defensive" scenarios and tactics, USPSA is just about having fun and challenging yourself.

As usual I'll include a slightly self-deprecating video of me at the first match I shot after taking the class many moons ago:

And one of me from last year's Area 7 Championship match at Harvard Sportsmans, older and fatter but at least I'm shooting a little quicker...and I have a flashier wardrobe!

If this doesn't look like your thing then I highly recommend looking into one of the other formats available locally. Steel Challenge is low movement and low pressure, IDPA (explained above), even pin/plate matches. All ways to get more trigger time and keep range time interesting!

Hope to see you on in the class or at a match!

Peter (aka BostonBullit)

We've been running this class annually since 2005 (maybe earlier, but 2005 was the oldest records I could find on my system). But, this year, we are offering what is by far the nicest restrooms of any gun club in Massachusetts, and you don't even have to put a coin in a nik-o-lok to use them.

Quick update: we have approx 10 spots left before we start the wait list....assuming everyone that’s registered sends a check that is ;-)

My payment is in the mailbox.

Is there a recommended hotel/motel in the area, or does someone have a woodshed I can crash in for the night? :emoji_spider_web:

Glad to see so many NES members on the registration list! We did hit the waitlist, if you got an auto-response saying you were out there I’ll be in touch.

If you bring your payment to the HSA club meeting please clearly mark what it’s for and make sure it gets in the hands of Bob Draper or Mike C.

This class was great last year. You all will have a great time! Bring a raincoat - I've shot one HHH in the last year where it didn't rain at least a little bit.

I registered on practiscore on 01.30 and received the confirmation page saying I had been registered. I mailed my check the next day but it does not seem to have been cashed. Does this mean I ended up on the waitlist?

I registered on practiscore on 01.30 and received the confirmation page saying I had been registered. I mailed my check the next day but it does not seem to have been cashed. Does this mean I ended up on the waitlist?

I leave the money end of things to El Prez but he usually tries to hold checks until class date because it's easier to send them back to people that have to cancel vs getting a club check cut. You should have received an e-mail confirming that you're registration was approved. If you didn't get that send me a PM with your real life name and I'll figure things out.

Payment deadline has passed so I'm going to start sorting through the wait list this weekend...

Thanks,
Peter

I leave the money end of things to El Prez but he usually tries to hold checks until class date because it's easier to send them back to people that have to cancel vs getting a club check cut. You should have received an e-mail confirming that you're registration was approved. If you didn't get that send me a PM with your real life name and I'll figure things out.

Payment deadline has passed so I'm going to start sorting through the wait list this weekend...

Thanks,
Peter

Thanks for the reply. I received an email yesterday that I had been moved from the wait list to the approved list. Looking forward to the class!

Out of curiosity are there age restrictions on this class? I have a couple of kids I would like to try the class at some point.

Out of curiosity are there age restrictions on this class? I have a couple of kids I would like to try the class at some point.

This is not unofficial opinion but, USPSA does not have any age restrictions for competition. Having said that, the only restrictions USPSA has regards safe gun handling and knowledge of the operation of said gun and that applies to competitors of all ages.

Now I will await the official response.

The requirement to take the class is the same regardless of age: the student must be able to safely operate their 9mm or larger centerfire handgun under all conditions encountered during the class. These conditions include firing at targets at various distances, moving around a free space, reloading the gun, and clearing malfunctions. Being aware of trigger and muzzle discipline at all times are a must; safety is non-negotiable.

I’ve personally seen kids as young as 10yo shoot in USPSA matches and seen YouTube videos of kids younger than that at matches. It all comes down to the individual and applying some common sense. We reserve the right to remove from the class any student who we don’t feel is able to participate without creating a safety hazard.

All that said my advice is this: if you want to get your kids into action shooting and you’ve already covered the 4 rules and had them put time in at the range to demonstrate that they get it then bring them to a Steel Challenge match. Steel Challenge has very little movement (if any), allows .22rimfire rifles and handguns with dots or irons, allows low ready starts, is all static steel plates that make a fun sound when hit, and gives you 5 tries at every stage. The range commands are the same as USPSA so it gets you used to the process and working under the direction of a RO and a timer. It’s a perfect entry level action shooting sport and still fun for experienced shooters.

ETA: I re-read my reply and it feels like I’m saying don’t get your kids into USPSA or have them take our class. This is not my intent, if they meet the criteria then by all means introduce them to the sport. You’re welcome to bring them by our practices on weds nights once school lets out for the summer and the days are longer. Unfortunately this years class is (over)full so that’s not an option but there’s no reason to wait a year if they’re ready now.

Peter

Thanks for the information and I’ll send you a PM when the weather gets better and the kids are out of school. They’ve definitely met the above requirements and put in the time at the range over the years.

Back
Top Bottom