Ever thought you lost one of your firearms?

Another thing that can happen.many of my family members have identical, guns

We all took out our Ruger mark three? I have a couple, they each have one.

We were all bull’s-eye shooting together, trying each other’s guns, and then set them down on the bench. All identical set ups. Let’s just say it took us more than a few minutes to sort out that mess.

Another thing that can happen.many of my family members have identical, guns

We all took out our Ruger mark three? I have a couple, they each have one.

We were all bull’s-eye shooting together, trying each other’s guns, and then set them down on the bench. All identical set ups. Let’s just say it took us more than a few minutes to sort out that mess.
Did other people's identical set ups feel better?

Never a gun, but mags a couple of times. Once I was at the Y taking the kids for a swim, was sitting on bleacher seats (the movable type). Got home, put carry gun in the safe and...WTF where's my spare mag? At the time I was pocket carrying the spare mag and was wearing large pocket (cargo <cough>) shorts that day. I was SURE it dropped out of my pocket and fell behind the bleachers. I had dropped the girls off w/ their mom so I decide to go back to the Y and look around. As I pull in the parking lot there's a police cruiser parked outside, thought maybe janitor found loaded mag, had all sorts of thoughts flashing through my head: How hard will it be for them to match the member log (you scan when you enter) to a list of LTC carriers? They'll know what carry guns I own, they have my fingerprints on file. I almost dialed the local 2A lawyer's number (Attila). I decided to go in, cop chatting up woman at front desk. Walk as inconspicuously as I could, didn't see anything under bleachers (pool was pretty empty by then). Cop left before I did. Drove all the way to the office and found I left it in my pop out desk drawer safe. <whew>

Never lost. Just can't remember which shelf, cabinet, corner, or cubby hole, which one occupies at the moment.
Same with mags.
I found an AR BCG I forgot I had squirelled away a couple of years ago🤷‍♂️

A few times. My second purchased gun is a Mossberg .22LR bolt action and I haven't shot it in probably 35 yrs. It was in a silicone gun sock and when I became an instructor I was looking for it in the safe to demo a bolt action. Couldn't find it but knew that it had to be in a safe. Only when I moved my guns up to my NH home did I find it (10 yrs after "losing it") . . . it was buried in the back of the safe and they all look alike in gun socks.

Most recently I was searching for my Jericho, searched all the safes and nothing, yet I knew it was in one of them. Finally a few days ago after another futile search I decided to open the 2 cardboard boxes in the safe (I knew an AR lower occupied at least one of them) . . . yup, the other one has the Jericho in it. I know marked the edge of the boxes so I won't forget again.

A few times. My second purchased gun is a Mossberg .22LR bolt action and I haven't shot it in probably 35 yrs. It was in a silicone gun sock and when I became an instructor I was looking for it in the safe to demo a bolt action. Couldn't find it but knew that it had to be in a safe. Only when I moved my guns up to my NH home did I find it (10 yrs after "losing it") . . . it was buried in the back of the safe and they all look alike in gun socks.

Most recently I was searching for my Jericho, searched all the safes and nothing, yet I knew it was in one of them. Finally a few days ago after another futile search I decided to open the 2 cardboard boxes in the safe (I knew an AR lower occupied at least one of them) . . . yup, the other one has the Jericho in it. I know marked the edge of the boxes so I won't forget again.
Sounds like me. [laugh] Twice over the years I thought I was missing a gun... and twice it ended up being right where it was supposed to be. Funny how those unmarked boxes, cases and pistol rugs in the back of the safe tend to be excellent hiding places for "missing" guns. :)

I have a Ruger Standard that I don't shoot much, but it's always handy for teaching new shooters... I also like to pull it out for plinking now and then...

One day I'm looking for it and it's not where I usually keep it, so I start looking around for it. After checking my range bag and safes, it is nowhere to be found. Worry starts to creep in, keep searching, trying to remember when I last took it out and where I could have left it. Then I start wondering if I left it behind at the range, panic starts to set in...

As I am now paranoid with the thought that I have lost a gun, my sons sees me and asks what's wrong...I tell him and he says "Oh, sorry, it's in my safe."

I forgot I had let him use it to take his girlfriend shooting...when he got back he stuck it in the safe with his stuff.

These kids are the source of my many gray hairs...

I had the wife look with me for what felt like forever before I said, “Where is this f***en revolver”

She says “wait, we’re looking for a revolver”

On the plus side the house is clean.

I am sure all these people that "lost" their guns for months or years reported them as lost. Right?

View attachment 710015
I think it’s 3 days since reasonable should have notice in MA..
You don’t know something lost until you notice something’s lost, A lot of people don’t open their safe for years.

It’s another law that doesn’t make since.. They ask about it on your license renewal now.

Great you report your gun lost/stolen.. The only benefit of that is, it’s added to a list of lost and guns.

It’s also related to preventing straw purchasers from claiming lost to give coverage against future criminal charges. But to be honest, people doing these kinds of things are stupid and usually on drugs.

I think it’s 3 days since reasonable should have notice in MA..
You don’t know something lost until you notice something’s lost, A lot of people don’t open their safe for years.

It’s another law that doesn’t make since.. They ask about it on your license renewal now.

Great you report your gun lost/stolen.. The only benefit of that is, it’s added to a list of lost and guns.

It’s also related to preventing straw purchasers from claiming lost to give coverage against future criminal charges. But to be honest, people doing these kinds of things are stupid and usually on drugs.
I filled my renewal application yesterday and noticed that "Please list any lost or stolen guns".

I wonder if that would be used to disqualify a renewal.

I filled my renewal application yesterday and noticed that "Please list any lost or stolen guns".

I wonder if that would be used to disqualify a renewal.
Probably before but now that there’s no suitability standard I find it hard to believe. I mean if you’re losing a couple guns each year that’s definitely a red flag..

People who say things like “ I could never accidentally shoot myself” or “I could never lose a gun”…

They are just in denial.

I’d probably rather lose a gun than
shoot myself shooting yourselves is Probably more embarrassing.

I have one tiny gun I never shot, and once in a while I panic that I lost it.

Last time it wasn't in the safe with the handguns. It was in a different safe, bottom of the safe, behind a bunch of rifles.

I should just sell it so I stop panicking.

just make a spreadsheet with a list of your shit on it and where it is or where it went

I have like two guns like that hanging around that are basically worth too little to bother selling and im not going to give f***faces at a gun buyback the satisfaction etc.

Did other people's identical set ups feel better?
Yes, one of the five Ruger seem to be a piece of shit, it could’ve been there maintaining of it?
My two shoot the same for me, but I set them both up for my eyesight.

I can take any gun apart and put it back together, but for some reason, I take the mechanism out of the handle of that Ruger and I have a hard time getting it back together. On of my brother has the same issue. My mom seems to be the master at put them back together. It’s so simple and just doesn’t wanna go back together.

#1: Had a "range day" day one time and took the whole "arsenal" in the truck a few towns over to the range.
Got back home 3-4 hours later and there was my wallet with LTC sitting on the counter.
:eek: [laugh]

#2: Wake up a noon with a hangover one day, go to get my .380 to carry to the mall. Look at the pistol pockets on the safe door, it's not there. I yell to the wife "uhhh we got a big problem".
Panic sets in, wtf, I thought I stored it away early last night.....every scenario of how bad this will get runs though my head in about 30 seconds, I run to the bathroom look on the window sill, nothing. Run back to the safe, look again.........the little .380 had slipped way down into the pocket so it wasn't visible...scared the ever-living crap out of me. :(

Thought I had lost my 10/22 since it wasn’t in my safe and I had brought it to the range recently. Forgot to take it out of the rifle case I had leaning up against the safe and of course checked it last since I usually unpack everything as soon as I get it home

Thought I had lost my 10/22 since it wasn’t in my safe and I had brought it to the range recently. Forgot to take it out of the rifle case I had leaning up against the safe and of course checked it last since I usually unpack everything as soon as I get it home
Other than my hunting shotguns and a couple of handguns.

All my other stuff has its own pelican cases with the foam cut. I stuff the entire case into the safe ,I took all the shelves out. So I used to go to the shoot I grab all the cases throw them in the truck use them make sure everything’s in the case, come back, put the entire case in the safe…
Each case as what’s in it labeled on, it’s in case you just wanna grab one you’re not guessing.
Then I have a miscellaneous case. In case I just wanna transport, one firearm, and then an accessory case for all the accessories and brass rods and whatever…

It may not be the most cost efficient set up, but it’s extremely easy. Makes loading and unloading quick and you can’t lose anything.

My non nfa collectibles have their own safe.
They arent in cases.. I take them out every couple years oil them look at them and then put them back

Back
Top Bottom