Ever have one of those weeks?

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Ever have one of those weeks where everything seems to go wrong? Well, I've had one of those weeks. The final insult came today when I tried to finally get my reproduction ZF-41 dialed in. Just when I thought it was set, it would go wild. On the 38th round, the guts broke loose and reticle is now totally messed up. My original has been out being restored for a year now, and they're getting snippy over me asking them "how's it coming" every other month.

I did my good deed for the day by helping this turtle cross the range, but he clammed up and wouldn't talk to me.

What will go wrong next...[sad2]

t

Attachments

• IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 103
Not many reproduction scopes where ment for actually shooting where they?
Any way the next bad news is no warranty on the reproduction scope and a letter from the rebuilders of your original scope will call to tell you they just started working on your scope and you will get your estimate of completion in a few Months.
Get the mosin out and pound a few rounds down range. At least a temporary distraction

I loaded up the 5 for $5 stripper clips with the silver tip ammo I got from you; 1972, factory #188. Was the tin Russian or Bulgarian? Light or heavy ball? They are damn hard to push down into the magazine; I assume it will get easier the more I use them. I can't shoot tomorrow as we are visiting son in his residential home; lunch and a movie. Unfortunately he reached a new low on Monday - he had to be restrained twice for violent assaultive behavior, including being taken to the floor - a first. This was the 'first' thing that went wrong this week.

t

Attachments

• IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 27
Sorry to hear about your son's struggles. Maybe the new environment takes an adjustment and he'll settle in over time. Good for you guys to spend time with him tomorrow. Hoping for the best for all of you as time goes on.

Bummer about the repair work. Maybe they would be less snippy if you followed up once every 18 months? Jeez...

Next opportunity to hit the range, dig into the safe and pull out one of those old reliable pieces that hasn't seen sunlight in a while. Sure to bring that smile back. [grin]

After I try the ex-Dragoon at 100, I'll pull out the mint Savage Enfield. I haven't shot it since I bought it 5+ years ago.

t

I loaded up the 5 for $5 stripper clips with the silver tip ammo I got from you; 1972, factory #188. Was the tin Russian or Bulgarian? Light or heavy ball? They are damn hard to push down into the magazine; I assume it will get easier the more I use them. I can't shoot tomorrow as we are visiting son in his residential home; lunch and a movie. Unfortunately he reached a new low on Monday - he had to be restrained twice for violent assaultive behavior, including being taken to the floor - a first. This was the 'first' thing that went wrong this week.

t

Good luck with the kid. It's not easy. Grew up with a pair of brothers from adoptive family. They where a tough bunch in the early years. Late teens they finally seen the light and realized there adoptive family was a blessing and they came around and stopped the fighting and crazy behavior.

As for the ammo there is a picture of the can
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/215-WTS-WTT-Firearm-accessories/page4
About 12-13 post down. Your ammo is from the same lot. Quick before photo bucket takes it away.

So is it Russian?

T

All I can offer is a picture of the can....I don't know anything about the ammo other than it will shoot in a Mosin.
From what I remember it's light ball steel core.
I will guess it's Russian?

Last edited:
Well, I got home early enough to take the ex-dragoon to the range. 76F, sunny, calm. 25 rounds of '72 silver tip surplus, 100 yards benched. First 10 were that beautiful little vertical string at 9:00. Then I moved the front sight the wrong way with a screwdriver and pliers. When I went to move it back, I found it now moves with finger pressure and actually moves when shooting. I pushed it the other way and put the last 5 in the black. I guess I'll have to stake it in place now. Clunky Mosin action, first round hard to seat, the rest easy. I really cleaned the locking lugs and I didn't have to pound the bolt open. Not a bad shooter once I got things in order.

T

Attachments

• IMG_3131.jpg
    IMG_3131.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 21
Well, I got home early enough to take the ex-dragoon to the range. 76F, sunny, calm. 25 rounds of '72 silver tip surplus, 100 yards benched. First 10 were that beautiful little vertical string at 9:00. Then I moved the front sight the wrong way with a screwdriver and pliers. When I went to move it back, I found it now moves with finger pressure and actually moves when shooting. I pushed it the other way and put the last 5 in the black. I guess I'll have to stake it in place now. Clunky Mosin action, first round hard to seat, the rest easy. I really cleaned the locking lugs and I didn't have to pound the bolt open. Not a bad shooter once I got things in order.

T

if the front sight is that loose you can lightly peen the front sight base and snug it up. If it moves by hand the stake will not hold all to well.

He was still there today, in much the same place. I picked him up and moved him a little deeper into the grass/brush. He's still alive as he hissed at me and then clammed up.

This could become a good MilSurp forum joke...

...Why did the turtle cross the rifle range?

[popcorn]

t

Last edited:
if the front sight is that loose you can lightly peen the front sight base and snug it up. If it moves by hand the stake will not hold all to well.

Moved the sight right and gave the inner left front dove tail a whack with a large flat head screwdriver and hammer and put the sight back. It's tighter now.

Stripper clips were really hard to use. Had to use such pressure I thought I'd slice my thumb open on the sides of the stripper.

t

Last edited:
Moved the sight right and gave the inner left front dove tail a whack with a large flat head screwdriver and hammer and put the sight back. It's tighter now.

Stripper clips were really hard to use. Had to use such pressure I thought I'd slice my thumb open on the sides of the stripper.

t

Some clips work well some don't. Often if they are hard to slide the "rail" where the rim slides is to tight or not straight.

Anyone have/have a line on a Finn 2-stage trigger? I liked the one I put into my M91 Westinghouse, although this one works pretty well.

t

Back
Top Bottom