Ever get shafted by a fellow NESer?

What is the issue with Paypal? Why nobody takes it?
IMHO it's the fastest way to seal the deal.

What is the issue with Paypal? Why nobody takes it?
IMHO it's the fastest way to seal the deal.
PayPal is a disaster anytime you have a buyer from hell. Buyer complains, no matter what about or about the validity of the complaint, and purchaser's funds are locked until hell freezes over, sometimes months. Never mind that it's a huge PITA, purchaser's funds are at risk. Never do a deal with a stranger except with cash.

a lot of people, myself included, usually have some "free" money in their paypal account and buying a toy doesn't sting as much when you can use it. i prefer cash but will take paypal and usually pay with paypal if given that option. my bitch with pp is it takes a bit long if you need access that cash quickly, man they drag their feet be it sending out a check or transferring it to your bank.

I've done 60 transactions...all good. Met a lot of nice folks.

Gotta neg feedback if a no show after agreeing on price and location/time. Others might need to know.

Same here. All of my tranactions through NES have been painless.

I just bought bike wheels from a Facebook page. The seller and I were going to be at the same location during the weekend and agreed to meet but he insisted I bring a check or paypal when I saw the wheels. He said cash was too difficult for him to deal with. I gave him a check, he scanned it with his phone to direct deposit it and handed me the wheels. Millennials.....

I just bought bike wheels from a Facebook page. The seller and I were going to be at the same location during the weekend and agreed to meet but he insisted I bring a check or paypal when I saw the wheels. He said cash was too difficult for him to deal with. I gave him a check, he scanned it with his phone to direct deposit it and handed me the wheels. Millennials.....

While convenient, scanned checks can (and do) bounce several days after initial acceptance by the bank. Nothing gives the seller protection like cash.

what moron in their right mind wouldn't want cold hard cash in their limp wristed hands?

I have a confession to make. I screwed a guy over yesterday. Made plans to meet up at a certain time and didn't show.

I work nights and I was trying to stay awake to make the sale. I sat down on the couch and promptly fell asleep and missed the appointment.

I'm my defense, I offered to deliver it to him wherever he wanted, but he was busy or pissed off and it didn't happen.

Anyway, I feel really bad about it, but as they say "shit happens." If you read this post dude, I'm really sorry. I take my word seriously and have never intentionally screwed anyone over. Thanks for not throwing me a neg rep!

And this is why I don't meet people unless I get an "I'm leaving now" text.

I had a guy typo his phone number. Went to the meet point and was texting and calling. Start talking to the guy next to me and it is the guy I am supposed to meet. He apologized for putting his number in wrong. He was standing next to me waiting for a call as I am calling someone who is not picking up.

He was not the only person around and I really did not want to be walking up to strangers say hey, wanna buy a gun?

Always check number.

I would take a small check from an established member here with good feedback. I sold a knife a few years back to a regular here for like $60ish. Instead of trying to meet up, he said he would mail a check so I mailed the knife that day. A couple days later the check came and cleared just fine. Maybe I'm a sucker, but it worked out fine for me and saved us both a hassle.

I've never bounced a check in my life, nor will I. Plus, I trust people way too much. I've several times bought from folks, sent them a check (including shipping fees) and told them to wait until the check clears to ship. Worked fine every time, but I'm sure one day I'll get screwed.

Last edited:
After agreeing to meet one schmuck half way, confirming before I left, traveling 45 minutes to meet, only to have him never show or return any further calls or texts, I now make buyers come to me.

I have a confession to make. I screwed a guy over yesterday. Made plans to meet up at a certain time and didn't show.

I work nights and I was trying to stay awake to make the sale. I sat down on the couch and promptly fell asleep and missed the appointment.

I'm my defense, I offered to deliver it to him wherever he wanted, but he was busy or pissed off and it didn't happen.

Anyway, I feel really bad about it, but as they say "shit happens." If you read this post dude, I'm really sorry. I take my word seriously and have never intentionally screwed anyone over. Thanks for not throwing me a neg rep!

Perhaps only those of us who have worked oddball night shifts can appreciate this. Back in 1980-81 I was a 3rd shift supervisor at DEC, that meant I had to be at work by 10:30PM and couldn't leave until whatever time my stoned/drunk bosses showed up the next morning and we had a prior-day run-down of production. Oftentimes I didn't leave Maynard until 8:30-9AM! I was also the only Reserve PO available during days at our PD, so I would get a last-second call to work a paid detail. One such morning I got called to work with the electric company changing telephone poles on a state highway. They break for lunch at 11:30 to return at 12:30. I went home, took the Sam Browne belt off, set the timer for 12:15 and laid down on the bed. Never heard the timer and slept until 1:30PM! I was very embarrassed but the crew didn't make a stink about it thankfully. Yes this happens to those that are sleep-deprived and in those days little kids played outside during the daytime so it was hard to get more than 2-3 hours sleep during the daytime. It was a blessing when I transferred back to engineering and day shift in 1981.

I've never bounced a check in my life, nor will I. Plus, I trust people way too much. I've several times bought from folks, sent them a check (including shipping fees) and told them to wait until the check clears to ship. Worked fine every time, but I'm sure one day I'll get screwed.

Me neither but my bank bounced some on me due to an internal screw-up. I made them reimburse fees and write letters to those affected explaining that it was a bank error and not my doing.

In my early 20s my Parents spent Summers at a campground in Somersworth, NH. While up there I went into an auto parts store to get some parts to repair my car. I asked if a check was OK and was floored when he said fine. His comment was that he'd only been stiffed by locals, so didn't worry about visitors!

When I was in the computer biz, I did get stiffed a number of times with rubber checks. Not so in the Constable biz or firearms training however.

haven't had a bad experience myself but definitely give him negative "feedback." It will hopefully warn someone else to not deal with him.

Closest issue I had was when I sold my G42 over the weekend. Originally the buyer was going to meet me Thursday morning before going to the Cape for the weekend, and was coming to the North Shore from E. Bridgewater. I had court the day before and was told Wednesday afternoon that I'd have to show up again Thursday. I talked to the buyer and arranged to meet him after the Cape in E. Bridgewater. Buyer was great, and thankfully didn't give me a neg rating

Back
Top Bottom