Ever get shafted by a fellow NESer?

"No lowballs!" usually means "I'm asking $50 more than Four Seasons and $150 more than Gunbroker."

Although I get where they're coming from, since every time I put a gun up for sale some comedian PMs me saying "I don't like the gun and it's not worth anything to me, but I'll give you $100 because I'm a Nice Guy if you can't sell it for $450."

Just list it firm and don't even respond to any negotiating. Done. If someone does their research they'll find out what the correct price is, pretty quickly. Only nippleheads are going to pay much more than that.

-Mike

Never happened to me, but I'd neg him on iTrader and out him on the forum.

Sometimes, shit just happens. I'd give someone a day or two before jumping to conclusions. Hell, he could have had a family emergency that put the gun transaction at the bottom of the priority list.

But generally, when people flake there's no good reason for it. If it's a legit flake, just out the person and neg them.

PCBJ_TastingKitchen_GarlicGinger_Product_2.5OZ_1024x1024.jpg

You'll do better buying/selling here on NES, 9 out of 10 times. I'll take those odds over any Gun Show.
Look at the bright side. Your chances of getting crop dusted during a sale go waaay down too.

Maybe we should make it policy to close every transaction with beef jerky? Skoal!

I have accepted offers on items that were not moving, though in general I post things at very reasonable prices and am not sure I have ever had to bump more than once. I have seen people who bought from me flip for a profit weeks later. that is fine, if I want it to move and move now I will do that.

But that is the time to make the offer. Not after I went half an hour out of my way to meet you with an item we already agreed on the price of.
I don't like that either. If you didn't want to pay, I don't mind lowballs via pm. Lowballs in person are only legitimate if the "good bore" was actually a sewer pipe.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Jeez there are some horror stories here. I've never had a problem except with PMs from tire kickers which is really no big deal. Every transaction with me has gone smoothly.

By the way, I have a size XXL ballistic vest brand new in the classifieds for sale. I promise a no hassle transaction

I don't like that either. If you didn't want to pay, I don't mind lowballs via pm. Lowballs in person are only legitimate if the "good bore" was actually a sewer pipe.

I sold a gun last week. After looking it over, the guy said "Will you take less?" I said "Will you pay more?" He said, "Oh. I guess not." and handed over the money.

The other thing I like is the "offer" of cash, as somehow that's an incentive. Sold my lawn tractor last week. Said right in the ad "cash only." Guy emailed me an offer of half what I asked, and then added "cash!" As opposed to...what? Green stamps? Very, very, small gold bars? An IOU? Are there people out there taking checks? Hell, are there people out there still writing checks?

Is the objective to sell the gun, or to make a point? If the objective is to sell the gun, then walk back and sell the gun.

Too many people let emotions get wrapped up in business transactions, and lose sight of the objective.

Guilty, emotions get in the way of practically everything I do. If I were selling a gun, the price would be very attractive because I'm never out to make a killing or screw anyone. I'm one of those people that always tries to make sure the "other guy" gets just a tiny bit better deal than me. So if I'd previously agreed upon a price, and the gun was exactly as advertised and I drove a decent distance to meet someone and they tried to change the price because they think I'll bite since I just drove an hour, they are mistaken. Not only wouldn't I lower the price, but I would increase it just a bit, or not sell it.
But, that's just me.

Yeah, I have never had anyone here lie about condition. Might be some argument over good vs fair condition but never had someone show up with something very far off from described condition. I always try to point out any blemish before hand.

I also always give the firearm a thorough cleaning before a sale. Do not want to hear that the fouling may be hiding an issue etc.

Never really an issue with anyone..met a lot of nice guys here.

One thing being a buyer is "perfect condition" means different things to different people, one time I got a gun with rust and surface issues that was listed as "perfect" The price was good and the gun stainless, so I did not renig on the deal..though I had good reason to...I felt I made the deal and was stuck with it. I was able to clean most of it up with a lot of hand work, but from then on I ask for more pictures if buying.

I feel I price firearms fairly, describe them correctly, gun will be cleaned oiled and ready to roll, so there are no surprises and sell them quickly in most cases. I won't sell a gun that has any issues that I know of to a member here. If I'm not communicating it's because I don't have access back and forth communication is important..if I was serious about a buy I wouldn't want to wait either.

If I get a real lowball, I ignore it. If I don't sell within a week or two, I go up to KTP and trade it for store credit which is typically the same price as what I'd get here for a firearm...many times it's more...but it's also not cash.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, "Cash in hand!!!" Some think this phrase has more weight than just "Cash" the way it's used in the WTB. Or does it signify "this time my offers are serious!"
This weekend I was selling stuff at a WWII reenactment and had some fun with the people who thought it was a reason for a 25-33% discount on a $60 item.

"Hey man I can give you $40 cash right now"

"No can't do $40"

"I have the cash right here" (pulls out 2 20s)

(I pull out massive wad of assorted bill [$1k in mostly small bills]). "I can do $55 and we take credit cards if you don't have another $15 in cash, you still want it?"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Most transactions have gone extremely well and have met some nice people. Biggest irritation from my standpoint is the people who buy and expect you to deliver to them.

There was one guy who asked if he could break down the pistol and look at it and I said "sure go ahead". He took the slide off, ran a white napkin into the grooves on the frame, pulled the napkin out and said "don't you clean your guns???" I answered "Yes I do and that one is clean." He offered me $100 less than the agreed up price because of the "condition.

I said "thanks but no thanks" and took the gun back. As I was leaving he called my back and offered me the agreed upon price. I took it but to be honest if it happened today I'd walk away.

Wow...Class A douchebaggery.....

I do get a little peeved by the "meet you half way to do the transfer" and their half way is a lot less than yours. I won't travel like I used to to get a deal done.....I'm sick of that crap.

Last edited:
I still write checks. Makes pissing away cash a little harder.

I would take a small check from an established member here with good feedback. I sold a knife a few years back to a regular here for like $60ish. Instead of trying to meet up, he said he would mail a check so I mailed the knife that day. A couple days later the check came and cleared just fine. Maybe I'm a sucker, but it worked out fine for me and saved us both a hassle.

I will admit that I bought a sweet AR from an NES member here and asked if he would take a little less the day of the meeting, but the circumstances where a little different.

We had not agreed on a price, or even that I would take the rifle. He lived and worked in the town I worked in, and it was kind of a " Could I take a look at the rifle?" type of meet, and neither of us was going out of our way. I asked him if he would take a $100 less than his asking price and he responded with, " I really think the price is fair." I agreed with him and apologized for even asking.
It wasn't until I got the rifle home and started looking up the cost of the parts that I realized what a great deal he gave me, and he did it at a time when guys were pretty much naming their price for AR's. I sent him an email thanking him again and apologizing again for asking to pay a little less. He didn't blame me for asking, but I still felt like a heel.
To this day it is still my favorite rifle and the match barrel, Geiselle trigger and other premium parts make the thing as accurate as most bolt guns.

I do get a little peeved by the "meet you half way to do the transfer" and their half way is a lot less than yours. I won't travel like I used to to get a deal done.....I'm sick of that crap.
not only this, they want you to bring the gun to them to some far corner of the state. my rule is if i'm buying, i'll travel to where the gun is, if i'm selling, they come to me. depends how bad i want it determines how far i'll travel. end of story.

I still write checks. Makes pissing away cash a little harder.

I bought an ancient Colt 1911 at an auction in NH, and they accepted my check. I asked them if they wanted ID or anything, and they didn't! It was a good check, of course, but I was amazed/shocked/surprised..........apparently they haven't been screwed, which is great to hear. Basically, most people are honorable (except politicians, lawyers, child molesters, and school administrators), but you gotta watch out for the lowlifes living among us.

Pretty sure nes people are the same ones on armslist, and yes I have driven 45 minutes to meet a buyer a couple different times, with them canceling 5 minutes before the time. The last couple times I sold, I sat in my living room and told them to meet at the end of my street. Not going out of my way for you to buy something.

- - - Updated - - -

And the price is what it is listed as, and I don't negotiate.

Pretty sure nes people are the same ones on armslist, and yes I have driven 45 minutes to meet a buyer a couple different times, with them canceling 5 minutes before the time. The last couple times I sold, I sat in my living room and told them to meet at the end of my street. Not going out of my way for you to buy something.

- - - Updated - - -

And your feedback score reflects this! [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

I arranged a deal on armslist one time with the other guy coming from Braintree. We agreed to meet at a McDonald's in my town which is way out west, just thought he really wanted my gun. An hour before we were supposed to meet he texted me that he didn't realise he had to drive 2 hours. I was pissed but agreed to meet half way.

Done my share of transactions with NES'ers all were excellent except the last one, an LEO [thinking].

We came to an agreement on the purchase of a pistol, he was working shifts so I understood the drill. He couldn't close the deal for another 5 days. In the meanwhile we swapped phone #'s and I found out we had a lot in common, seemed like a super guy. Well after a lot of work running to the bank etc. the transaction day was at hand. "Couldn't take my cell phone to the job" then the kicker, "My dad saw I was was selling the 'Tupperware' pistol and offered me $150 more it, sorry, but hey would like to go to the range with me"

I had him dead to rights, as the details were all in texts. I thought of negative repping him, but instead wrote him back a tactful but blistering e-mail. I never said anything about it until I saw this thread. I doubt he has the 'nads' to click on this link, but I hope he does. [rofl]

I once won an ebay auction and paid for the item, did not hear from seller for a week.
He then messaged me to say he was injured skydiving.

Not sure if I believe it since the item was supposed to be new but obviously wasn't.

was it a helmet?

Back
Top Bottom